Any love for the Taurus LA 22?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Any love for the Taurus LA 22?

Post by mohavesam »

I know there are not many out there. They didn't even have their own owner's manual, as they were made in so few numbers.

The CEO of Taurus USA wanted them made to recoup some of the market void left by the inept/now-defunct Winchester execs, and T modified the 62 action to make a fine IMO, levergun in 22LR. Reliable, accurate, feeds almost anything, and rare in numbers.

I have only one - although I've fired a blued gun, mine is all-stainless and despite the loonngg barrel shoots fast and accurate. All I've done amounts to a lever shim and blacking the sights.

Anyone else (actual experience counts more than "I've never handled one but..." opinion!) ???
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Any love for the Taurus LA 22?

Post by Blaine »

I wanted to learn more, and started "surfing". I looks like Taurus does not make any rifles at this time. Is that right? Maybe Henry ran them off the rifle line.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Another board member (Tycer) bought one.

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... on#p638815

Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

From the "One Sticky" at the top of the Leverguns forum page, see item #15:

http://onesticky.levergunscommunity.org/

The Taurus 62LA is indeed a very rare and neat rifle, once the bugs are worked out of it. I let mine go to a charming lady new to the NRA Smallbore Cowboy Rifle Silhouette game. I let her try it out and she shot it very well, absolutely falling in love with it. I prefer my old Marlin 39A, so the Taurus 62LA went on to someone who appreciates it very much.

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I have no love for Taurus as a brand (period.....) after seeing some pretty wild and weird occurrences on a regular basis with all variants of their guns.

That said, I had a standard pump 62 from them for several years just to scratch the pump-action .22 itch. It was the only Taurus model (across the board) I've never run into anyone having issues with. Except mine, when a not too shooting-savvy friend tried to feed the .22LR-only rifle .22 Shorts. Yeah.... Not the gun's fault.

Never ran into the LA version except in pictures.
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

MrMurphy wrote:I have no love for Taurus as a brand (period.....) after seeing some pretty wild and weird occurrences on a regular basis with all variants of their guns.
I have a PT145 Pro and a PT1911 and both have been as reliable as any firearm I own. And the PT1911 is also very accurate. I also have a Rossi 92 made after Taurus took over and there is nothing wrong with it either. I know the reputation of Taurus and I am sure there are some who have had problems with Taurus that have caused the reputation, but mine have been nothing but reliable.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

You got a lucky sample of 2. I'm talking about at least 100 examples spanning over a decade....not even counting the mass recall in Brazil.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

i have the blue and the stainless.....both are smooth operating, fast accurate little rifles. everyone who tries them wants one.

seems odd that they didn't keep making them and promoting the sales .......could have done quite well.
cable
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Pete44ru wrote:.

Another board member (Tycer) bought one.

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... on#p638815

That one is actually mine. I think Tycer's is blue. :wink:

From previous post: "Here's a picture of my Taurus/Rossi 62LAR. I replaced the saddle ring with a knurled knob from the 62 pump gun. Also added the Taurus tang peep sight. Shimmed up the loose lever with brass washers for a more solid feel. Plugged up the bolt safety with plug made for the Rossi 92 clone from Nate Kiowa Jones."

I am 110% happy with my 62LA and recommend them when they can be found.

Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31