Looking for a dog for my boy

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

ursavus.elemensis wrote:A boy who grows up with a German Shepherd Dog will have a very positive outlook on life and will become an honorable, dedicated, productive citizen.
I'll second the GSD vote. Here is one I sold when I enlisted. Interestingly, when I moved closer to Denver for school, I ended up in the same neighborhood (thats within a couple miles around here :lol: ) as the new owner.

Also had 1yr old black GSD pup that I solod to a police dept and he got certified last year to work the street. Have a pic but I need to doctor the officers face and the dept before I can post it.

Here is out current gaurd dog.

Scott, I think a good terrier will be fine, or the beagle, both are great hunters. I think a GSD would be a great dog also, but they require a bit more attention and can be costly both to purchase a proper one (staty away from any show/american lines and anything with a sloping back) and to maintain.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Killer Kanuck
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Killer Kanuck »

Another vote for a Shephard :D

Picked up Shelby as a puppy from a local shelter. Couldn't have asked for a better dog - smart as a whip and great around kids too. Although she is gun shy (literally - I take out a rifle and she goes and hides in the bathroom :?: )
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

ursavus.elemensis wrote:

Scott, I think a good terrier will be fine, or the beagle, both are great hunters. I think a GSD would be a great dog also, but they require a bit more attention and can be costly both to purchase a proper one (staty away from any show/american lines and anything with a sloping back) and to maintain.
Now that one looks just right!!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Cindy Lee, looks like that bike gets pretty good gas mileage and looks quiet too :D

cute pup

As to the post:

I have a beagle(my second) and a great dane (my second). Have had labs (two) and three cats. I would stick with those three breeds.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

This is one of my three Brittanies.
They are pretty smart, good companions, and good bird dogs.

While my grandson lived with us, one of the Brits was his best friend.

Jack
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

ScottT wrote:Well, there is an alterior motive here too. Daddy wants a small dog to help with blood trails on wounded deer.

I think I am narrowed down to a beagle or a jagdterrior. Maybe a wire haired dachshund.
Get the beagle their noses a legend and the way they bay on a scent trail means you wont lose them in the brush. Dachshunds are good dogs and are great for rodents but the beagle has longer legs and love to run.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

ScottT wrote:
ursavus.elemensis wrote:

Now that one looks just right!!
She has already shown admirable tracking abilities. :lol:

She is also fearless when facing the enemy.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

That looks a lot like the one I had when i was a kid. Makes me happy.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

My Dad bought me a cattle dog when I was 12. Half collie and half German Shepard; it was bred that way on purpose going back for several generations. The breeder knew what he was doing. He had tri-colored fur with collie markings and collie ears & tail. But head was shaped like the shepard. I named him Caesar and he accompanied me on many adventures. He was smart and fearless.

We had an Airdale after that but it was a big disappointment. This Airdale had a vicious streak and killed too many of Grandma's cats.
TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

t.r. wrote:We had an Airdale after that but it was a big disappointment. This Airdale had a vicious streak and killed too many of Grandma's cats.
TR
They are known to be hard on anything with 4 legs. Thats why they used em for bear dogs. A friend whose word I consider gospel says his whipped a badger in a straight up fight. Interestingly they are generally non aggresive towards humans. They are pretty much a one task dog.
11B30
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

ScottT wrote:That looks a lot like the one I had when i was a kid. Makes me happy.
The day we borught her home. (Yes, I was in need of a shave and a haircut :lol: )

[img][img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/549/medium/ ... ghead2.jpg[/img][/img]
11B30
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

My first dog was a mix of what would be called a pit bull today (some Staffordshire Terrier mix) and she was the sweetest thing in the world. I acquired her because she belonged to a rancher who lived a couple of miles from town but she would come into town and follow me all day - he gave up after some months and made her a gift to me.

I had her a couple of weeks when my dad came out to spank me for some "deviation from his instructions" (not to worry - I deserved it) and she came to my defense and ripped the sleeve off his shirt - didn't bite him, thouigh. Lucky for us, my dad was a practical man and, recognizing how protective she was to me, let both of us off scott free.

This was about 1938 - formal pic with dad -

And, in about 1935

I sure loved that dog (actually a spayed - can't use the "B" word - so we'll call her a "dogess").

:lol:
Last edited by OJ on Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Looking for a dog for my boy

Post by Slick13 »

ScottT wrote:I am really thinking hard about a jagterrier as I had a cross bred terrior when I was a kid and he was a very versitile friend and companion.
What are looking to use the dog for? Protection, companion, general hunting, hunting specific game? Any certain size you'd prefer?

If I was looking for an all around dog, I'd go straight to the German Shorthair Pointer or the Airdale.

~Michael
reddnek
Levergunner

Post by reddnek »

The Jack Russell terriers I've been around are too hyper for me.If I were getting a dog for a kid I definitly would get a Beagle prefrably a female
GIT 'R done
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Re: Looking for a dog for my boy

Post by Bruce Scott »

Slick13 wrote:
ScottT wrote:I am really thinking hard about a jagterrier as I had a cross bred terrior when I was a kid and he was a very versitile friend and companion.
What are looking to use the dog for? Protection, companion, general hunting, hunting specific game? Any certain size you'd prefer?

If I was looking for an all around dog, I'd go straight to the German Shorthair Pointer or the Airdale.

~Michael
GSPs are great but bigger than what Scott is looking for.

Here's my fella. He is 11 months old and weighs 28 kilos:

Senior Levergunner

Hunting dog?

Post by 2571 »

Rhodesian Ridgebacks are large but a pleasure to hunt with. They do best hunting in pairs. Great for bear, etc. and indispensable if you ever have chance to hunt african lion.

Every kid should grow up with a dog.