I Had Killing on My Mind

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BC in TN
Levergunner 2.0

I Had Killing on My Mind

Post by BC in TN »

I had the alarm set for 4:30 but there was no need. My eyes opened; I looked at the clock and smiled; it was 4:25. I was immediately awake, feet on the floor, moving with urgency; I wasn’t sure just exactly when daylight arrived in the middle of May but I knew it was early – no time to waste this morning. Quickly I brushed my teeth, briskly scrubbing my face with a hot wash cloth, clothes on, the mental checklist of tasks and their order of priority spinning in my mind. I needed to be where I was going in just a few more minutes. Looking at the thermometer I saw that it was 61 degrees – perfect. I’d need to wear long sleeves, long pants, gloves, and a facemask; I really needed to hide this morning and I needed to hide well. Boots, phones, my knife, a comfortable cushion to sit on, yes - that would help me remain still. I’ll have to be very quiet and very stealthy – my success would depend on it. I had killing on my mind.

I moved out the back door and onto the porch – the cool, dark morning seemed just right. No wind. It was cloudy, so no moon. It was dry, no dew. Just a little dew would have helped dampen the sound of my footsteps. I’ll just have to move slowly and deliberately and be as quiet as possible. I had to walk a few hundred yards after stopping by the shop. My work phone and my personal phone must be set to vibrate – if either of those phones rang my cover would be blown – I might as well have stayed in bed. I stopped by the shop to pick up a shotgun. I chose the Remington 12 gauge along with Federal three inch magnum shells with two ounces of powder, size four shot – I’ll load three of those and go ahead and put one in the chamber. Safety on; double check – safety on. I cannot let him hear me cycle a round out there. I had no flashlight and none was needed; I’m very familiar with the terrain. I walk to within twenty yards of the wood line and quietly slip over the fence to the north. Decoy, decoy stake, and twenty feet of camouflage netting in one hand. In the other, a ground cushion to sit on.

The 12 gauge was slung over my right shoulder. In one pocket, a six inch long by one and one half inch wide wooden box call – a chilled Diet Mountain Dew in the other. Other pockets held those ever present phones along with lightweight gloves to cover my white hands. Quiet, slow, deliberate movements; so far my timing was just right. I moved about twenty more yards to the north and quietly pushed the decoy stake in the ground. The foam decoy is perfectly shaped and hollow, and light. It has a slot in the bottom to conveniently hold the stake – now long since misplaced, perhaps in a box of hunting gear somewhere. I trimmed a cedar stick that will work just as well. I daydreamed of big gobblers while trimming it up with my pocketknife. Stake in the ground, decoy placed on the stake, finished. This morning the decoy faces away from me, not by design, but simply by happenstance. West. The decoy was facing west. I move east to the tree line and find a substantial walnut tree to sit against. There is a scattering of cedars within three or four feet of the ancient walnut tree. This is a good spot.

His eyes are remarkable and his hearing is even better than that. His survival depended on seeing or hearing me (and other predators like me) and keeping a comfortable, safe distance from all those adversaries. I knew he was out there but I didn’t know where. I knew I’d likely hear him when he woke up – but only if he was close by. For now he was just sitting there, perched on a limb; he was comfortable. His sharp eyes were closed in slumber; it was still quite dark. He was confident that as the forest woke up with its cacophony of sound that he’d be awakened – right on time – just like always. One of us would be foiled this morning and the odds were against me.

The decoy does not move and it does not matter; it sits non-committedly, indifferently even, but tangibly and convincingly on a hand trimmed cedar stake twenty yards to my front. I unfold the camouflage netting and hook one end to a nearby bush. I move it in front of where I’ll sit making sure to leave enough room to stretch out my legs and tie the other end gently with a new growth cedar sprig. The netting is not long enough to fully enclose my hiding spot. There is a three foot opening just to my right. I’ll be vulnerable there on that side. If he comes from that way he will likely see me in my hiding spot. I’ll have to be very still and very quiet. Everything is set. Gloves on, facemask on loosely; I’ll move it to fully cover my face when I think he is near. Time check: 5:10. Perfect. Shooting light is now; it is Beginning Morning Nautical Twilight and the center of the sun is twelve degrees below the eastern horizon, but it is on its way – it will be full daylight soon. I can see the decoy much better now, a perfect silhouette, it is perfectly content, perfectly still.

I know he is in the trees but just which tree he slept in is unknown to me. I take the wood box call with the lightly chalked top and make just a few coarse scrapes with it – hoping to sound like a… a turkey. Another sip of the Mountain Dew, slow, deliberate movements – always listening. Screw the top back on, put the green plastic bottle by my leg and then WOSHHHH, WOSSSSSSH, WOSSSHHH, a thunderous sound and gigantic movement catches my attention and my breath – there - up high and to my right. I look up and I see a set of wings about five feet wide heading directly for that three foot opening to my right! My heart immediately changes from cool, calm and collected to beating profusely, uncontrollably, unsustainably – there is no conscious thought to this change in my heart – nor is there any controlling it; no doubt my eyes get big and round and anxious during those three seconds when I wonder if he is purposely going to land on top of my head. But he doesn’t. He drifts in a sort of J pattern out of the treetops and lands no more than ten feet in front of my blind on one of the many flat limestone rocks that dot the landscape here in Wilson County. Thank goodness he was facing away from me when he landed. I didn’t have my hand on the gun and I just might have tried to run off if he had decided to charge my blind. He was fully alert now, fully erect and with those long legs and that long neck, he seemed to stand over four feet tall. He immediately saw the decoy. At that very moment we were both considering our next move – the next requirement – and of course our thoughts were very different. He noticed a stranger in his front yard and I had killing on my mind.

I’d seen him scanning the countryside, eating, and dusting near the wood line for an hour or two the afternoon before. Periodically I’d look east to the wood line and see him all swelled up, prancing and strutting around. He seemed as big as a fifty five gallon barrel. Through the binoculars I had a good view of him from about 200 yards away. No doubt he had a beard; it looked so long – seemed like it was dragging the ground. I kept watching him – should I try to sneak up on him now? Could I get close enough now? Foolish thoughts – I’d tried that before. They know – they just seem to know – then they disappear. I believe they just might smile when they do that. Patience. I just needed patience. Just keep an eye on him as it was getting dark. He will fly into a tree close to where I saw him last. All I have to do is get there before he flies down in the morning and be still and be quiet.

I reached for the gun. He hunkered down; he leaned that long neck forward and then he ran. He charged the decoy! He ran straight to it – ran over it – like a football player! The decoy didn’t seem to mind. After hitting the decoy, he ran right on beyond it – maybe twenty yards or so beyond it and then acted like nothing at all had happened. I sort of wanted to see what would he would do next but by that time the Remington’s’ sights were on him. A full forty yards. One of the three inch magnum shells was all that was required; it effectively did its work.

His nine inch beard and three quarter inch spurs were impressive and my best to date. This was turkey number three for me. God made this one perfectly and he was beautiful. The beard length, spur length and weight are how many people evaluate a turkey. I choose to evaluate this one by my heart rate and in the telling of the hunt.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
harry
Senior Levergunner

Re: I Had Killing on My Mind

Post by harry »

"I chose the Remington 12 gauge along with Federal three inch magnum shells with two ounces of powder, size four shot"

I didn't know you could get 2 ounces of powder in a 12 gauge shell :shock:
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

It was sure enouh a good morning for ya
Good storytelling to, 4.30 gave you away tough :lol:
Nice bird, my son got one this year perty much same specs
Hope y'all enjoy the turkey fry, we sure did

Congratulations
PLOWBOY
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I like yer story ! . :mrgreen:

BC in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BC in TN »

harry wrote:"I chose the Remington 12 gauge along with Federal three inch magnum shells with two ounces of powder, size four shot"

I didn't know you could get 2 ounces of powder in a 12 gauge shell :shock:
Harry,

Perhaps I misread the info printed on the shell. Federal here http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/federal ... 22677.html indicates:

FEDERAL CARTRIDGE CO Mag-Shok FliteControl

The revolutionary FliteControl wad uses a rear-braking shot cup to stay with pellets longer and choke them into a lethally tight pattern. The lead load provides copper-plated shot and buffering for tight, uniform patterns.

SPECIFICATIONS:
Mfg Item Num: PFC159F4
Category: AMMO SHOTSHELLS
Gauge :12
Type :Lead
Length :3 in
Ounces :2
Shot Size :4
Muzzle Velocity :1150 fps
Rounds-box :5 Rounds Per Box, 10 Boxes Per Case

Maybe that is 2 ounces of #4 shot?
Heck - I'm not a reloader. I'd of clubbed him if I could have snuck up on 'em! :)
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

awesome! congrats on getting your thunder chicken...

turkey hunting is my favorite time of year....and you had pretty darn exciting morning...

No luck for me this year...only had a 3 day permit..
Bad weather, and the birds roosting on the other side of the property did not help..
Saw a couple of jakes and a few hens though...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
BC in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BC in TN »

Spring season here lasts 6 weeks and we can also hunt in the fall. I don't get to hunt very much due to work...
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

Great story and very nice bird. Congratulations. Recently picked up a 20 gauge 870 Wingmaster (one with the smaller receiver) and look forward to taking my first turkey with it.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Great story! Thanks.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS