B. B. King passing

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

B. B. King passing

Post by wecsoger »

Checked here and and in Politics, was surprised no one had posted.

I would have to try hard to even near be a bad guitarist, and his loss (along with Les Paul) is heartbreaking.

When he was good, he was very, very good. Even though he slowed down in his later years, his work ethic still had him touring, even more than a lot of today's artists.

No flash, no light show, no lasers, just solid blues that looks and sounds simple till you try to emulate it.

I admire the man for his talent, his hard work and mourn his passing.

Side note. We've all heard his biggest hits, such as, "The Thrill is Gone", but I've been unsuccessfully looking around for a single by him. Released in the mid or late sixties. Think the song title was, "Reverend John Henry". Song is a story about a court trial of a woman accusing the local preacher of having his way with her. The town doctor(?) comes to the stand, says he's an outstanding man, but he was wounded in the war so badly that what she says could never happen. "And you know what I'm talkin' about". Chorus is 'there oughta be more good folks like reverend John Henry, preachin' in the bottomland'.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: B. B. King passing

Post by AJMD429 »

wecsoger wrote:...just solid blues that looks and sounds simple till you try to emulate it...
Yep. That's the sign of a good musician or dancer, regardless of the genre...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

He will be missed here in the UK.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I just love his album with Eric Clapton, "Riding with the King"... I've literally, spent days runnin' down the road listenin'!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Reckon he was a right fair picker.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I just love his album with Eric Clapton, "Riding with the King"... I've literally, spent days runnin' down the road listenin'!
Many happy hours listening to the same album. BB's enthusiasm when playing/singing was/will always be contagious. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

A great musician and entertainer!
He will be missed.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Worked in a Detroit police precinct where his buddy had a bar/nightclub. Mr. King came every year to appear & play to sellout crowds.

While I was not supposed to "visit" in a liquor establishment, the owner always sneaked us in the back to listen to a little of the performance.
mark08
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark08 »

You might try Earnest Tubb's record Shop or Ernie's record Shop in Nashville, Tn.. If they don't have it they will make it for. I think they're are still in business!!!!
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

He played our local auditorium every couple of years .... Never forget the first time we went to see him... Show lasted about 3 hrs ... He & his band Sounded EXACTLY like he did on his records .... Hit every note perfectly with his voice and sweet Lucille of course ...and played every popular song he'd recorded...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

RIP
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

2571 wrote:RIP
Plus 1! :(
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

The thrill is gone and Lucille is a widow
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

I saw him at a college campus concert around 1970-71. I remember the highlight of the show was "Nobody Loves Me But My Mother (and she could be jivin 'too)."

He is one of the first blues artists I listened to and caused me to find other old blues artists like Howlin' Wolf, Lightnin' Hopkins, Elmore James, and John Lee Hooker.

B.B. King was truly a legend.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Me thinks BB was the gateway guy for many that got bit by the blues bug- Late night FM Blues Radio
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

Check out youtube for BB King performing with Gary Moore. Blues at its finest. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUaevnP1LLg