Has Anyone Ever Been To...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Has Anyone Ever Been To...

Post by GonnePhishin »

Bolivar, Missouri?
Just wonderin' what its like down that a way. Or in Missouri in general (outside of the big cities)?
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Has Anyone Ever Been To...

Post by Griff »

I've traveled all over Missouri... like most places some good, some bad... mostly great folks and beautiful scenery.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Bolivar, just north of Springfield and east of Stocton reservoir. Beautiful country. Stay out of the cities and Missouri's got some beautiful places to visit. Good fishing and squirrel season opens soon too. :-)
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

You'll be pretty near the flagship Bass Pro Shop in Springfield, and the NRA National Sporting Arms Museum. I would highly recommend a visit if you have 3 or 4 hours to kill.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... Jul2013_RD

If you get around Columbia give me a hollar, and if the timing works out, I'll buy you a cup of coffee.
NRA Life Member
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

I've hunted and fished all over my home state, Missouri, and Stockton or Potatoe (Pomme de Terre) are my two favorites. Less boat traffic and cheaper accommodations combine with more variety of species of fish to make it worth the drive. Although it's hard to beat the upper end of Lake of the Ozarks for paddlefish snagging.

Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

It was nice in 1972 ...
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

TedH: Thanks for the offer. I'll look you up if I ever get there.
Larkbill: Nice catch. Doesn't the Lake of the Ozarks have a reputation for people disappearing from there?
Blane: Everywhere was nice in 1972 :wink:
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

UncleBuck wrote: Doesn't the Lake of the Ozarks have a reputation for people disappearing from there?

Don't know about disappearing, but there's at least a couple of drunken boaters that die on those waters every year. Used to be a good place to take the family boating, but not for me anymore. Turned into too much of a party place, and no common sense. Mark Twain Lake is much nicer for a weekend of skiing or tubing.
NRA Life Member
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

The Little Niangua arm and the lower end of the Niangua near Camdenton used to be pretty laid back, but since they've started building all those big condo complexes it's gotten as bad as the main arm up by the dam. My fishing boat is a traditional aluminum utility boat (16' '59 Lone Star) and it's not that comfortable around the wakes from those big boats. The upper end of Lake O, just below Truman's dam is still fairly calm. We only go there for paddlefish season, maybe need to try it for other.

Agree Mark Twain is great. I often put in at the ramp in Pigeon Roost Creek and never even make it to the main lake since that creek arm is so large.

Missouri also has tons of Conservation Areas with good fishing water, many with good boat ramps.