Went to the range yesterday

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Went to the range yesterday

Post by firefuzz »

I went to the range yesterday to try and shoot some rifles, my first trip since the first treatment injection on my right eye. My eye has not responded as quickly to treatment as before, but I was warned before hand that due to severity of the swelling it might not respond a lot until the second or third injection.

It became apparent right off the bat that shooting my normal right-handed hold was not going to work. From the left side guns that are so usually so comfortable in my hands became clumsy strangers to hold and shoulder. With iron sights I was shooting groups a 100yds I would have expected to see at 300yds a couple of years ago.

Along with two brand new red dot sights that refused to adjust to POA it was not a very encouraging day. But the sun was shining, the breeze was pleasant and I walked to the bench under my own power, so I refuse to become too depressed over this first outing under new conditions.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Dan 444
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Went to the range yesterday

Post by Dan 444 »

Best wishes to you, Partner.

Dan
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

that's a good report. glad you're getting out and working it out.

would a hand gun make sense for getting some plinker time at least?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

firefuzz wrote:But the sun was shining, the breeze was pleasant and I walked to the bench under my own power, so I refuse to become too depressed over this first outing under new conditions.
THAT is the attitude to have. If your 100 yard groups are like the 300 yard ones from before, actually you don't have that far to go to improve, and many of us couldn't even use the word 'group' if we shoot at 300 yards. . . :oops:

Some red-dot sights are way better than others. I've had the best success with the Burris FastFire-II's and have several on different types of guns.
Grizz wrote:Would a hand gun make sense for getting some plinker time at least?
:shock: - oh 'gun' - :oops: . . . I initially read that as "Would a hand grenade make sense". . . :lol:

I guess if you can't get good groups close-up, that's always an option, but it's kinda hard on the target stands.

Keep us posted, we're rootin' for ya, and know you'll succeed. Wish you were a next-door neighbor, so you could just amble over to my place and shoot and I'd come back to the range-bench with my good vision and shoot beside you, and you'd see you're still a better shot than me even with bad vision; might cheer you up some (and bum me out, but what the heck).

Keep on shootin'....... 8) 8) 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
mran1126
Levergunner 1.0

Post by mran1126 »

I guess I miss previous posts on your eye problem. I get injections too for a bleeding eye. What is your problem?
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Any day at the range is better than a day doing chores and I'm sure your groups will improve before you know it.. 8)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

mran1126 wrote:I guess I miss previous posts on your eye problem. I get injections too for a bleeding eye. What is your problem?
I have a vessel leaking in the retina.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Fortunately lever action rifles are either handed and with a peep sight, you may get used to shooting left handed as I did a few years back. Now that my right eye has recovered, I can shoot from either shoulder.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Firefuzz,
Hope the eye problems are resolved soon. Prayers up.....
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry