OT - Anyone here into traditional archery?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Nath,

No pics for legal reasons?????? I am dense today, what legal reasons?

Nothing like time afield with a bow. I like using various blunts for small game. The suggestion of .38 cases is a very good one. I have used those for years on my frog arrows. VBG I am happiest with my longbow in my hand, and a pack and quiver of arrows on my back, heading into the woods for any length of time.

your meal sounded wonderful. I had wild boar chops last night cooked in olive oil, wine, barbeque sauce, splash of mustard, salt and pepper and mushrooms. When those 4 chops filled the plate and the sauce poured over them, I almost drooled as much as my great dane. Had some apple sauce on the side, and some cheese and broccoli to finish it off.

blessings.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

GK, I have tried blunts. Rubber and cartridge cases in the past but never did well enough to get a result hence my decision to chang my bows after much testing. Glad I did as I can do better with this bow than I ever have done. Besides I have allways wanted to see the effects of a broad head and err it is spectacular! I have got some judo points coming too.
rjohns, commi Britain banned bow hunting years ago so no pics from me on this one. How did your boar get it?
Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Nath, Thats amazing. I kinda see GB as the birth place of the bow (i know its not but still!!!!!) The Boar feel to my 1876 in 45-75 last fall. I'm getting low on pork and I need to get another one.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Here's kind of a crazy idea I was wondering about.

Say you shoot an arrow straight up into the air over your head. With most bows you lose sight of the arrow, don't you? (Been a long time since I shot a bow and arrow.) Did anyone ever have such an arrow come down and injure them? Expect it could be deadly.

Don McCullough
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Yes Don, crazy is the word. I stopped doing that when an arrow of mine landed within six feet of where I was standing once :roll:
Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
cpt Dan Blodgett
Levergunner

Archery

Post by cpt Dan Blodgett »

It has been a long time but I made bows for a while about 21 years ago. Used Bingham patterns to make long bows and takedown recurves. Actually shot a doe in Texas with one of my TD Recurves #65 58 in.
Gave the bow to a cousin. My favorite bow is a Bear Custom Kodiac TD Recurve with #55 and #70 limbs. Still have a long bow or two I made hanging around. Have not shot any for over 10 years, need to get back into, time was a 6 in plate at 30 yards was in trouble either with a recurve or a compound. For a while I was shooting 300 arrows a day. When I started it was really difficult to shoot a dozen out of the #55 recurve. Can easily see how the old english folks could train up to very heavy bows. The used to shoot at something akin to a 2x4 at 100 yards.
SASS #75655
"Follow Me"
The Lewis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by The Lewis »

Howard Hill Tembo 54#, Big Five 70#, and a few Ben Pearson takedown 956's 36#, 51# & 56#.

Shoot Arrow Dynamics traditional arrows, they are great, the same arrow shoots well from all the above bows.

Sometimes I even hit exactly where I was lookin'...
Molon Labe
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

Now in my 38th year of shootin a bow. All but three years back in the middle 70's have been with traditional equipment. Even made my living for 5 years building longbows and recurves back in the late 80's and early 90's. I shoot a longbow I built in 1992, 62# at my draw length. That bow has spent 95% of its life strung and either hunting or standing in a corner, and has never let me down. Watching a wood arrow fly from a good bow is the best medicine i know.
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

I used to shoot and hunt traditional only till arthritus kept me from practicing. My fingers would hurt for days after practice. So I finally gave in to a compound and a wrist release to take the pain off the fingers.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Ceb,

You're not all that far from me here in SW Indiana. What wood did you use when you were into making bows? Osage Orange ("Hedge")?

By the way, hear there's a few cougars in your area. Have you seen any?

Don McCullough
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

I shot a Martin recurve in high school back in the mid 70's. Got out of it until the mid 80's til 95. This time a Martin long bow. Then I tore up a shoulder, had some pretty major surgery, and did not shoot for 7 years. My boy and I saw Byron Fergerson put on a show in Bloomington Illinois. My boy started talking about archery. I got out the ol long bow and it felt pretty good. We set up my son with a compound ( that's what he wanted ) and we have been shooting together ever since. I have stepped up to a nicer long bow, and he has stepped up to a nicer compound. We spend alot of time together shooting in the basement, driveway, and 3-D shoots. Archery has been a wonderful gift to my son and I.
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

I shot a Martin recurve in high school back in the mid 70's. Got out of it until the mid 80's til 95. This time a Martin long bow. Then I tore up a shoulder, had some pretty major surgery, and did not shoot for 7 years. My boy and I saw Byron Fergerson put on a show in Bloomington Illinois. My boy started talking about archery. I got out the ol long bow and it felt pretty good. We set up my son with a compound ( that's what he wanted ) and we have been shooting together ever since. I have stepped up to a nicer long bow, and he has stepped up to a nicer compound. We spend alot of time together shooting in the basement, driveway, and 3-D shoots. Archery has been a wonderful gift to my son and I.
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

woops
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Birdman wrote:woops
It happens. ;-)