Scored two books by Ruark

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Scored two books by Ruark

Post by octagon »

I take the kids to town about once a month for lunch and a trip to the bookstore, we are all readers. I head straight to the sports section (gun stuff) and just scored "Horn of the Hunter" and "Use Enough Gun" by Robert Ruark. Found "Something of Value" awhile back and enjoyed it. Read the Horn of the Hunter and could not put it down, I love books on Africa. I had never heard of this fella before joining Leverguns, and all three of these books are in excellent condition and are keepers, good enough to reread at some future date. I recall Blaine is a fan of his, but I did not let that stop me. :D
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Scored two books by Ruark

Post by walks with gun »

Two of my very favorite books, have re-read them several times and always looking for them in thrift shops, great find.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

octagon wrote:I recall Blaine is a fan of his, but I did not let that stop me. :D
Blaine is actually a good guy, despite what everyone says... :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:twisted: Why, Bless Your Hearts.... 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Lassiter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Lassiter »

While I haven't gotten to read any of Ruark's books, I've really enjoyed the three books on Africa by Peter Hathaway Capstick that I have. I hope to get to read some of Ruark's books in the future.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

The only thing wrong with reading these old African safari books is it always makes me want a nice double rifle or a English style custom Mauser at the very least. Both are definitely out of my price range, I used a old sporterized Enfield and made me up a Lee Speed Sporter, Danged books.
Gregor
Levergunner

Post by Gregor »

The Old Man and the Boy should be required reading for any boy. Alot of good wisdom from his Grandfather.

Good find, Octagon.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Gregor wrote:The Old Man and the Boy should be required reading for any boy. Alot of good wisdom from his Grandfather.

Good find, Octagon.
+1,000! :D
Have you hugged your rifle today?
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

claybob86 wrote:
Gregor wrote:The Old Man and the Boy should be required reading for any boy. Alot of good wisdom from his Grandfather.

Good find, Octagon.
After I read both Old Man books I got on a Ruark buying spree on eBay. I managed to accumulate 5 or 6 books but haven't dug into them yet. Waiting to treat myself when I get caught up on some things.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Set in the early 1950's, Something of Value is my favorite Ruark novel. A tale of the Mau-Mau uprising in the Congo. A great and grizzly read, and a vivid window view of those times in colonial Africa.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

I am about to finish the second book of the score "Use Enough Gun" and am starting to milk the last chapter pretty good, I hate to see such a great read end. This book makes me feel rather nostalgic and remember my own younger days when I was much likelier to spend a week or three at a time hunting real hard and have a few snorts of good whiskey at the end of a hard day hunting.
My hunting these days is more likely to be done in the shade of a nice mesquite and wait for some doves to come by,enjoying the company of my young son, and instructing him in the art of shotgunning. I still like to have a snort before dinner at the ranch. :D
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I first read "The Old Man and The Boy" when I was around fourteen. I have owned or read most of his writings. if most of what He wrote about doesn't strike a cord in You, then you must have not spent much time in the field.
First on the list is "How to Cross a Fence".........with out getting killed.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

vancelw wrote:
claybob86 wrote:

Good find, Octagon.
After I read both Old Man books I got on a Ruark buying spree on eBay. I managed to accumulate 5 or 6 books but haven't dug into them yet. Waiting to treat myself when I get caught up on some things.
That ESL Class? :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV