New Winchester/Miroku '73 in .45 Colt!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
OD#3
Levergunner

New Winchester/Miroku '73 in .45 Colt!

Post by OD#3 »

Today has been a good day! I've wanted one of the Miroku 73's since they were first announced, but I've been holding out for a .45 Colt version. One of the online dealers had them cataloged, but they were never in stock. I put it on my wishlist and forgot about it. Then last week, at about 3:30 in the morning, I was checking email one last time before going to bed. Wouldn't you know, there was an email from that dealer informing me that the .45 Colt short rifle version was back in stock. Oddly, that email had been received by my server at around 0230 in the morning. Why they were sending out email notifications at that hour, I don't know. Anyway, when I checked their website, there was exactly one in stock, so I ordered it. I've had a few nervous days since then, wondering if it was all just a fluke or glitch. But it arrived today, and I'm pretty stoked about it!

Pictures of these are scarce, and I didn't take nearly as many as I probably should have. Perhaps later I'll do a good comparison photo study of these next to Ubertis. But the replacement firing pin extension I ordered from Pioneer Gun Works arrived just yesterday, so I snapped some closeups while I replaced the extension.

First, the barrel markings...

Tang...

Carrier markings...

And just some closeup pics of some of the rest of it....

Now here's what I don't understand. The links are a very good fit in the frame and bolt abuttments, but the fit at the center appears to have been deliberately designed to have all the force taken up by the pins alone. Perhaps Miroku is counting on superior metallurgy here, but it is a departure from the original design and is puzzling...

Compare these links....

To the ones from my Uberti....

In other ways, Miroku has made some definite improvements. I checked the front of the carrier lifter, because this area was very rough on my Uberti as received, and I had to polish that one as part of my fluff and buff and to keep the lifter from grinding material off of the hole in the carrier. Moroku's lifter is very round and much smoother. It could probably do with some polishing, but that may come later....

The ramp on the carrier could be smoothed up some as well, but I've left it alone for now...

Here is the other obvious modification Miroku makes--the carrier is slightly relieved on the top left, supposedly to create an angle eject...

This just had to go...

So there you have it; my initial impressions are very positive. The action is smoother than my Uberti was when I first got it. Overall quality is better, but from the pics of originals I've perused, Uberti still makes a closer copy visually. I'll post a range report whenever I'm able to make that happen.
boolitshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Re: New Winchester/Miroku '73 in .45 Colt!

Post by boolitshooter »

Very good report.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

boolitshooter wrote:Very good report.
+1. Thanks.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

a very fine looking rifle. dwelling on the pictures could make a guy want one.

Grizz
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

What does a guy do about the firing pin set up? Do you replace it with another or is something removed from the existing pin?
OD#3
Levergunner

Post by OD#3 »

kaschi wrote:What does a guy do about the firing pin set up? Do you replace it with another or is something removed from the existing pin?
Pioneer gun works makes a solid firing pin extension for forty bucks. It is very easy to install; just remove sideplates and toggles, drift out the pin in the bolt that holds the extension in place, and remove the mickey-mouse, Rube Goldberg monstrosity that passes for a firing pin extension. Pioneer Gun Works' extension is hollow on the inside (I don't rightly know why, unless light weight is necessary), but for all practical purposes, it is a solid firing pin extension. It is a drop-in replacement and will return your Miroku to a more traditional design.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I sure like my Miroku 73 in 357. So far my only disappointment has been that I had several rounds already loaded with 158 gr Keith bullets and they are just a hair too long to allow the carrier to come up. I'll have to remember to seat those a little shorter next time.

I almost bought the 45 version but I have a Cimarron 1866 and a Miroku 1892 so the 357 was the winner.

Lots of nice pics, there.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

vancelw wrote:I sure like my Miroku 73 in 357. So far my only disappointment has been that I had several rounds already loaded with 158 gr Keith bullets and they are just a hair too long to allow the carrier to come up. I'll have to remember to seat those a little shorter next time.

I almost bought the 45 version but I have a Cimarron 1866 and a Miroku 1892 so the 357 was the winner.

Lots of nice pics, there.
Is the carrier well on the Miroku shorter than the Uberti?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I have no idea Griff as this is the first 73 I've ever owned. I haven't messed with it much or even measured the COAL to see if it's correct. Life has been getting in the way of shooting lately....gotta fix that.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle