Is it rudness, or am I too geezerly?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Is it rudness, or am I too geezerly?

Post by jnyork »

Frequently, when showing off a new gun or something, someone will ask "how much did you pay for that"? I find that kind of rude and offensive. Maybe that is the way it's done now, but didn't used to be that way.
You NEVER asked what a guy paid for something, or how many acres a guy owns or how many cows he runs on his place, or anything like that. To do so would have been unthinkably crass.
There are , of course, other things that offend me much worse, but this is an annoyance at least.
What say you all?
bdhold

Re: Is it rudness, or am I too geezerly?

Post by bdhold »

could be honest curiosity, or could be contempt hanging out.
You can probably tell the difference by what you know about the person.
So have your stock answers ready in case you really don't want to answer.
You don't want to know
More than I should have
A lot less than retail
It will prove to be a good investment
I could have bought two of these
Last edited by bdhold on Fri May 01, 2015 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
mergus
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mergus »

JNYORK, your comment about certain things being crass to ask about got me to wondering about regional differences in common conversation. For instance, here in Vt, most any farmer I've ever talked to was very happy to discuss how many cows they had, whether they be actively milking or just out to pasture. Same thing with how many trees he has tapped for sugaring.

I'm real curious to know why asking about how many cows is crass?

Mergus
Colt pistols, Marlin rifles and old SxS's.....
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I've never thought it crass, any of those questions. I'm honestly curious many times, or if someone got a good deal. I cant imagine why it would be crass. When I talk to dealers I know and have dealt with, I often ask what they have in something, and what they can stand to take for it. If they know me, they usually say, as they know I dont think they should give things away, and assume they are in it to make money, not as a comunity service. I ask because I want to make a deal that allows them to make some money, but see if its in the range I can handle and if we can cut through the usual back and forth coyness and balony. Negotioations often proceed from there to the satisfaction of both.

Nobody I ever asked how many animals they have have seemd the least bit put off by it. Its seemed like a topic of discussion they enjoy talking about for the most part.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I never felt things like that (cost, income, etc.) needed to be 'secret' unless someone was ripping someone off. Most of the guys I know who are secretive about their income are that way because they are way overpaid for the work they do.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

I was raised by strong southerners and Texans. Can't ever remember anyone asking someone how much they paid for something, their salary, divorced, etc., even among extended family, close friends or neighbors. Such as that was a "personal question". Do remember it being said it was considered bad manners to ask. If someone wanted to tell you his/her private business, then he/she would. In my time/place growing up, guarantee no one would ask that kind of question. I don't ask someone that unto this day, and am somewhat put-off when asked a question like that. Wonder what makes someone think others' personal information is any of their business. From reading here, guess that must be an aberration from an earlier time and geographic locale. More's the pity in my opinion.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

I always lower the price by $200.00 so the person asking the question feels like he got robbed, especially if he paid a good price in the first place... :O
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

mergus wrote:JNYORK, your comment about certain things being crass to ask about got me to wondering about regional differences in common conversation. For instance, here in Vt, most any farmer I've ever talked to was very happy to discuss how many cows they had, whether they be actively milking or just out to pasture. Same thing with how many trees he has tapped for sugaring.

Mergus
I think it is probably both generational and regional, young people don't seem to think a thing about prying into someone's private business, older folks like myself who were raised in the Rocky Mountain West are likely more sensitive to such questions, as most of us were raised not to stick our noses in where they didn't belong. :wink:
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

jnyork wrote:
mergus wrote:JNYORK, your comment about certain things being crass to ask about got me to wondering about regional differences in common conversation. For instance, here in Vt, most any farmer I've ever talked to was very happy to discuss how many cows they had, whether they be actively milking or just out to pasture. Same thing with how many trees he has tapped for sugaring.

Mergus
I think it is probably both generational and regional, young people don't seem to think a thing about prying into someone's private business, older folks like myself who were raised in the Rocky Mountain West are likely more sensitive to such questions, as most of us were raised not to stick our noses in where they didn't belong. :wink:
There ya' go, jnyork. Reads like you were raised good and proper! In my experience, ...if folks want for you to know something personal about themselves they will tell you without being asked. I can think of another special person from this site who seemingly agrees with that sentiment. Right mescalero?
Last edited by GoatGuy on Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

If its your wife asking, just say "This old thing? Had it so long I can't remember" :roll:
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

I no longer tell strangers that I have a farm or that we raise Welsh ponies or where I live or such.
And surely not what my hobbies are or how many guns or how large my company is or $. I do not ask and do not want to be asked such questions.
After a period of acquaintance the relevant information will surface as needed. Works both ways.

Anyone that volunteers that he is going through a divorce or spends a lot of $ on things just has problems that I do not need.

Oh yes, my wife tells me that I am a bit grumpy at times. :wink:
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

IMHO, it's a question of manners & environment.

People are a product of their environment, growing up - some folks were taught manners, some folks weren't.

claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

I figure if someone wants me to know something like that, they'll tell me. I wouldn't ask.

Have you hugged your rifle today?
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

Probably trying to see if it will fit in his or her budget.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Yep, rudeness. Although I have been rude on occasion... but I try to ask if a person minds being asked first... Curiosity sometimes is too great, not to.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

Some of you old guy's sure can get grumpy, NOW GET OFF MY DARN YARD.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Blurting it out....No

Asking if I mind telling? Ok, but I may not say unless it's a buddy.

I was raised to think it was crass.

Yep, I'm a crabby old coot. 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
mark08
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark08 »

Could just say " None of your business" That was polite when I was growing up. Still is.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I'm with you mostly on this. In the SE Alaska troll fleet it's called 'spoon bucketing'. Someone looking at your fishing gear on the gear deck to see what you're catching them on. Which gave rise to the 'town gear' which folks replaced their fishing gear with for the 'spoon buckets' in town. Applies both to the container of gear and the folks who troll the docks looking into them.

Also whether your boat is paid off, or if you paid cash for it, or if your house is paid for, etc.

Crass+Rude+Nosey+Whatever goes next.

However, 'they' make up lies about you to make up for what they don't know or understand so that, sometimes, you can tell 'them' the truth and they will accuse you of lying. true story. :shock:

It's just human nature.

Grizz

jnyork wrote:

Mergus
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

I know a guy like that. And besides being overly nosey, he is a gossip and will let you know what he knows about others.

On a similar vein as this thread, I am visibly disabled and it is not uncommon for complete strangers to approach me and ask "What happened to you?" Or, they will send their child over and ask. I usually ignore them and it is not unusual for them to keep asking. Sometimes though I return the query. Once a very, very fat woman asked me "what happened?" She became very upset when I asked her "You are way too fat, what happened to you?"

Pete44Ru said it best: it is all a matter of upbringing and manners.

For those Not-In-The-Know about "Talk Too Much":
Lyrics: http://www.oldielyrics.com/lyrics/joe_j ... _much.html
YouTube recording -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GOYYbiEul0
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I think your sensitivities reveal a deep-seated personal insecurity.

:wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

mark08 wrote:Could just say " None of your business" That was polite when I was growing up. Still is.
That response would not have been polite when I was growing up nor would I allow my children or grandchildren to think is was an appropriate response today. Kind of rude on it's own merit. No offense intended, just my opinion.

Furthermore, asking someone if they mind answering an inquiry of a personal nature puts the person asked in a pickle of a different sort. I mean, how could I respond to that query if I did mind, without the one inquiring being made to feel uncomfortable for asking. Guess I could just say "yes, I do mind".

That feller would more than likely walk away thinking ...what a "rude", "big shot", "uppity", "sorry" son of a gun. All I did was ask if he minded telling me "how much money he makes"; ..."how big a house does he have"; ..."what did he pay for his new pick-up"; ..."has he ever been divorced"; ... " does his wife have to work or does she just enjoy it", "what caused him to have a limp"; ..."how come his kid's redheaded when he and his wife both have black hair"; ..."why don't you want to have a drink with me, surely just one wouldn't hurt"; ..."are you having bad times as I heard you're selling a bunch of your guns"; ..."mind if I have a quick peek in your gun safe"; ..."what caused your wife to leave you"; ..."seems you've moved around lot in your life ...why was that?" Etc, etc, etc, etc!

How many of us here could just say, "none of your business" to any questions such as those without felling a touch uncomfortable?
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I don't care to say, thanks.

:idea:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I have to agree with GoatGuy, to me it depends on where you were raised. I can remember people asking things like that and thought it just didn't sound right. Reckon it's just where you were raised.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Griff wrote:Yep, rudeness. Although I have been rude on occasion... but I try to ask if a person minds being asked first... Curiosity sometimes is too great, not to.
As my Granny was known to say when I was just a little kid about poking my nose into things that didn't concern me, "curiosity killed the cat". I finally "got" the message at about age 10!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

GoatGuy wrote:
Griff wrote:Yep, rudeness. Although I have been rude on occasion... but I try to ask if a person minds being asked first... Curiosity sometimes is too great, not to.
As my Granny was known to say when I was just a little kid about poking my nose into things that didn't concern me, "curiosity killed the cat". I finally "got" the message at about age 10!
I asked once about that age... unfortunately, in front of my Dad... had my ear twisted... yep... I got that message also. I guess I should've explained further... I am generally blunt... might even be considered rude amongst friends... like when I told one of them that he needed to get serious about losing weight. he told me to mind my own business... I told him... the only six friends you have aren't ____ing strong enough to carry your casket, ya dumb ox. He's now down to 300lbs... I think we can manage now... and I thank him more and more... the older I get!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

wolfdog wrote:If its your wife asking, just say "This old thing? Had it so long I can't remember" :roll:
....Oh that new-looking Weatherby with the Leupold on top...? Actually I only had to give fifty bucks for that...! 8)

[....plus another $1,600...]
[....plus that Remington 870, my custom 1911, and a new chainsaw...]
[....but I had to pay $1,600 for the 20 round box of ammo to get such a good deal...]

.....and the best of all.......

[....plus that anniversary bracelet of yours you never wear... :shock: ]
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ray Newman wrote:Once a very, very fat woman asked me "what happened?" She became very upset when I asked her "You are way too fat, what happened to you?"
:o :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Generational, cultural, regional.

That information would be on a need to know basis.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

GoatGuy wrote:I was raised by strong southerners and Texans. Can't ever remember anyone asking someone how much they paid for something, their salary, divorced, etc., even among extended family, close friends or neighbors. Such as that was a "personal question". Do remember it being said it was considered bad manners to ask. If someone wanted to tell you his/her private business, then he/she would. In my time/place growing up, guarantee no one would ask that kind of question. I don't ask someone that unto this day, and am somewhat put-off when asked a question like that. Wonder what makes someone think others' personal information is any of their business. From reading here, guess that must be an aberration from an earlier time and geographic locale. More's the pity in my opinion.

I'm in my early 40's -- was born in 1971 ----- I think we have all revealed some snippets about our personal lives on this forum a time or two (many of us , that is )

But if someone i barely know asked some of those questions ---- i'd say, "Friend. why is it that you want to know?"
Or --- " Are you interested in buying one of these too?"

The tone of voice is everything in saying that --- as saying either things could sound defensive and rude as well, or just like good natured banter ---

But yes, in general, i find such questions usually to be in poor taste and a lot of my generation and younger doesnt know any better anymore

Oftentimes, if your curious, its just a matter of asking questions in the right way for people to open up

--- example -- when looking at a customer of mine's restored 69 Chevy pickup truck ---- I said -- "Wow ! - Looks like you've got some work tied up in this ride !" --
That breaks the ice and the flood gate of information usually starts pouring out ---- And if not? No big deal --- i was just expressing appreciation for someone's good taste --

But if i see someone with a nice restored truck - i have a fairly good idea what they have into it, --- likewise if someone has a recently aquired Colt Python or something --

The funny thing about a lot of people is that if they got a stellar deal on something, many times they will tell you before you think to ask
----- Doug
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Yes, questions of that nature are rude. You are not geezerly for thinking so, unless I'm a geezer at 44. I was raised in the rural Southeast where rich, poor, middle class, white and black all lived as neighbors. Most people are taught not to pry into a person's assets.

I remember being grown and showing my dad something I got (don't remember what) and my brother, who was a child asking how much it cost. My dad quickly told him he shouldn't ask people that. Me and my dad tell each other what we buy guns for, but neither of us know what each other makes or owes.

How close you are to someone can make a difference on what you are comfortable sharing. And I might know a lot about what guns a man has, or how good his hounds are, how nice his truck is etc. But I would never ask what he has in the bank, or safe, or under the bed and so on.

In my experience it has nothing to do with age or region. I'm around a lot a people from different places and all ages. It's simply manners that people are taught and they observe, or they exhibit crass behavior.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Streetstar wrote:
... The funny thing about a lot of people is that if they got a stellar deal on something, many times they will tell you before you think to ask
Ain't that the truth, Streetstar!
And many, too many in today's world will tell things about themselves and/or their private lives most people would just as soon not hear! Some people. :roll: Guess lots of folks want to spill their guts just so somebody will know something about them. Do they think it gives them validation in some way? Lonely and miserable in their own skin, ...most of them I expect are just such as that.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Its not polite to ask someone what they paid for something or where they got it and with a witty response you can defuse their questions sometimes. Ive had pilgrims ask where did I get that bull elk I tell them right behind the shoulder they usually catch on quick the dumb ones say no no where was he at, at the getting place. You dont ask someone you dont know how many cows they run, you can ask how many bulls they run and its not considered a foul. danny
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

GoatGuy wrote:
Streetstar wrote:
... The funny thing about a lot of people is that if they got a stellar deal on something, many times they will tell you before you think to ask
Ain't that the truth, Streetstar!
And many, too many in today's world will tell things about themselves and/or their private lives most people would just as soon not hear! Some people. :roll: Guess lots of folks want to spill their guts just so somebody will know something about them. Do they think it gives them validation in some way? Lonely and miserable in their own skin, ...most of them I expect are just such as that.

I think it kind of depends ---- I think i've said it on here before, but if not, im an insurance adjuster by occupation (specifically a storm insurance adjuster for the most part) -- and in the TX/OK/KS region, - i meet a lot of people every year

---- I'm technically self - employed, -- but my major client is USAA insurance ---- im not quite there yet, but there are a lot of us old retired vets around ---- and man, - does the bull-spit fly when you get a somewhat younger stranger in your backyard you can share a war story or two with --- Not one - upmanship or anything like that, just a matter of personal pride in re-telling their story -- or just needing someone to talk to that is a little outside their daily lives --- as in, not somebody from work, or the VA or whatever ---

An example from today was a guy i was just supposed to look at his roof for hail damage -------- before i left, i knew his dog's names , i knew about his post military career , and that he was a diehard Ford man, - i also knew that he lived alone (not alone - 2 dogs ) because he had to put his wife in a home for either alzheimers or dementia (i didnt pry - not my business) -- but he allowed that he visited her twice daily and it broke his heart when she didnt recognize him
He wanted to talk because he didnt get to talk much normally to "real people" , -- and the mere act of having "The insurance man" out was a biggie for the week
Before the day started, admittedly, this fine man was just a number -- someone i had to assign an hour for during the day, --- then another hour for someone else, etc ---

This happens all the time for me, --- and especially with the USAA clientele , but for me , this was not just another hour and another few bucks --- but i was glad to give the man a little room to talk --- at a certain point though, i have had to learn the ability to re-direct without being a jerk , just so i can get on to my next assignment
But i could have been a "Just the facts maam" type operator like Joe Friday, or i can give someone a little time to talk , ---- i usually try to choose the latter and maybe that is from upbringing too ---- These guys' need a bigger platform
Inside many of us is a fantastic adventure book waiting to get out, but many times it doesnt

----- On a side note -- the prospect of losing my wife to dementia or alzheimers, (or her losing me) - scares the he-ck out of me ----- I have met more than a few of my customers who are going through this and those seem to be heart breaking, soul crushing diseases

(Sorry for getting off topic --- this just reminded me of the guy i met today --- you spend too much time talking to the dogs though and when someone comes by who can respond back, - you oftentimes get more than you bargained for )

---- I'm proud to give my customers an occasional sounding board though --- but i cannot develop a personal relationship with all of them -- i still take the prospect of merely slowing down for a few minutes to listen to a war story , or talk about last night's ball game, - seriously .
----- Doug
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Those sort of questions are considered rude in England but asking a females age or vital statistics are considered suicidal..... :lol:
I like the saying when asked about wealth, "I was born with nothing and still have most of it left".
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

My sentiments on the subject have pretty much been hashed out by several on here...

I'm positive I am geezerly and/or curmudgeonly...

Went with my dad to his oncologist appointment yesterday. Of course, his first stop was in the business office. By the time we got out of there I had nearly bitten my tongue in two....Woman behind the desk kept talking to my dad in a condescending tone. I swear if she had addressed him as "Babe" one more time.....I was going to unleash a sermon about calling your elders "Sir" or "Mister" :evil:

And who is this "Buddy" feller that everyone keeps wishing to have a good one?
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

gamekeeper wrote:Those sort of questions are considered rude in England but asking a females age or vital statistics are considered suicidal..... :lol:
I like the saying when asked about wealth, "I was born with nothing and still have most of it left".
if you want to make a small fortune in a fly shop, start with a large fortune
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

HOW MUCH DID YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR THIS......?

WHAT IS YOUR WIFE'S BRA SIZE....?

My Momma said I was a crabby old man in the fourth grade, and I did love my fouth grade teacher, Miss Healey !!!

I am just a Sweet Ol' Boy now...
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

mark08 wrote:Could just say " None of your business" That was polite when I was growing up. Still is.
That answer is rude as the question.

Rather, then, the polite and genteel response would be, "None of your beeswax".
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

To come right out and ask a person what they paid for something is in poor taste, borderline rude....depending on how it's phrased. To ask "what are those going for now?" or "did you get 'er righteous?" is not near as offensive to me as the blunt question of what I paid for it. It's an attempt to gain information by stimulating conversation along the lines of the price without being blunt or rude. It may be beating around the bush, but ruffles a lot less feathers.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

2571 wrote:

I grew up hearing that's NOYB

short, sweet, and to the point.

Grizz
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Grizz wrote:
2571 wrote:

Grizz
And your point is . . .?
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

2571 wrote:
Grizz wrote:
2571 wrote:

Grizz
And your point is . . .?
right over your head, apparently
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

I'm with the rest of the curmudgeons, I think it's in bad taste. I went to a flea market today and bought an ugly J.C. Higgins .410 pump, well not exactly ugly, just neglected. Someone a little way down the line looked a me and said, Whadcha have to give for that??. I had a good notion to say it wasn't any of his business, but I just smiled and said, "I think I did alright on it" and walked on!

Many years ago, an old time rodeo cowboy friend of mine, that was born a 100 years to late, was set up and selling a few guns. A guy came by and looked at a shotgun he had and proceeded to pick it apart pointing out every bad thing on it and offered him a lowball price. This went on 2 or 3 times during the day and the next time he came by my buddy said "Give me your money"!! He got paid and he told the guy, "Boy am I ever glad you bought that worthless piece of junk. I've been trying all day to sell that thing and nobody will even look at it!! I wouldn't have that thing on a bet!! It really peed the old boy off. :lol:
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

2571 wrote:

Around here your response would be more likely to get you poked in the eye that mark08's response.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

In a face to face situation, facial expression, tone and inflection give drastically different effects to the same words. On the internet, we gotta have smilies! :D
Have you hugged your rifle today?
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

Terry Murbach wrote:HOW MUCH DID YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR THIS......?
I just let that sort of question go through to the wicket keeper.

"You don't need to know, I don't need to answer", politely, with the greatest respect of course.

Another question that I don't feel inclined to answer is "What do you do?".

I'm a private person, and prefer to keep it that way.

Cheers Mark
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Pete44ru wrote:.

IMHO, it's a question of manners & environment.

People are a product of their environment, growing up - some folks were taught manners, some folks weren't.

+1
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

gamekeeper wrote:Those sort of questions are considered rude in England but asking a females age or vital statistics are considered suicidal..... :lol:
Excellent quote GK! :lol:

Mind if I borrow it? :D
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

BigSky56 wrote:Its not polite to ask someone what they paid for something or where they got it and with a witty response you can defuse their questions sometimes. Ive had pilgrims ask where did I get that bull elk I tell them right behind the shoulder they usually catch on quick the dumb ones say no no where was he at, at the getting place. You dont ask someone you dont know how many cows they run, you can ask how many bulls they run and its not considered a foul. danny
I love that Danny. I'd forgotten about the "getting place". Have used that often back when I was a young "smartalek". Always gave me a chuckle. Thanks for reminding me of it, ...may have to use it again sometime!