Late Model Winchester 70 Featherweight

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Late Model Winchester 70 Featherweight

Post by daisygordoninc »

Does anyone have an opinion about the quality of the late model 70 Featherweights, say 90's on until now?
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Late Model Winchester 70 Featherweight

Post by Pete44ru »

I've owned/shot/hunted with several, over the years - A .30-06 FW Classic, a 6.5x55 FW Classic, a .338 Win Mag Super Grade Classic, and a .338 Win Mag Sporter (on which I installed a take-off FW stock).

The quality, fit, and finish on all of the was excellent, but the SG's stock wood and wood/metal finish was head & shoulders above the FW's & Sporter's.

The most accurate of the bunch was the 6.5x55 FW, which shot well under 1" @ 100yds with Norma 156gr Oryx factory ammo.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I was just looking at the new model 70's on Friday. I was surprised how nice they were. The fit and finish was very good and the actions were really smooth.
As Pete stated, the Super Grade was really nice. Had beautiful wood and was very well fitted.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Lassiter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Lassiter »

I've owned two since the late 90s. The first was a .270 stainless steel Classic Featherweight that I put in a fiberglass Featherweight style stock. I can't remember what brand the stock was but it was identical to the stocks used for the WinLite model 70s. It had a Leupold 3x9 compact scope on it and I made the longest shot of my life with it. It was 410 yards at a deer that a buddy had gut shot a little bit earlier. I don't know who was more surprised that I hit him..........me or the deer. Sadly, I traded that rifle for one that I thought I wanted more. The one I have now is a 30-06 Classic Featherweight with another Leupold 3x9 compact on. I haven't had a chance to use this one yet.
Fit and finish on both of them was great and I just like the was a Model 70 Featherweight looks and feels in my hands. One of the things that I really like about all of the model 70s is the trigger. Very simple and easy to adjust, too. I currently have the 30-06 Featherweight and a .338 Model 70 Sporter Super Grade. I really like Winchester Rifles............
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW - The new (So.Carolina/FN) Model 70 triggers are NOT the same as the original/old style Model 70 trigger mechanism.

The new rifle's trigger mechanism is housed in a small box beneath the action, similar to many other rifles (like Rem 700, et al), and very different from the older M-70 trigger.

The new trigger is @ left, below.

mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

Highest quality and value for a non-custom rifle.

- compared to what? The much-vaunted "pre-1964" guns were essentially hand-built due to the poor quality of components. TOday's components are nearly 100% in quality.
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Pete44ru wrote:.

FWIW - The new (So.Carolina/FN) Model 70 triggers are NOT the same as the original/old style Model 70 trigger mechanism.

The new rifle's trigger mechanism is housed in a small box beneath the action, similar to many other rifles (like Rem 700, et al), and very different from the older M-70 trigger.

The new trigger is @ left, below.

The old style Model 70 trigger was my favorite of the "affordable" rifles. It was super easy to work on and get a nice crisp creep free trigger.