270 Winchester

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

270 Winchester

Post by daisygordoninc »

I know that guys use the 270 Winchester for hunting moose quite commonly but the light weight bullet worries me a little bit.
How heavy can a person go with bullet weight on a 270 and still be effective at say inside 250 yards? Have anyone experimented with this?
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 270 Winchester

Post by TedH »

I wouldn't be scared to shoot a moose with my 270 and a 150 gr. premium bullet like a Partition or Swift A-Frame. Wouldn't be my first choice if I had larger calibers available though. Moose aren't hard to kill if you put the bullet where it needs to go.
NRA Life Member
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

I've never hunted moose, but I know plenty of them were taken with the .270 long before bullets of the quality presently available came along. The Swedes and Norwegians take them all the time with the 6.5X55.

Post by 65bee »

Have to disagree with Tedh. Moose can take an amazing pounding and stay upright. I once drove three 250 grain Speers from my .350 Rem. Mag. into the boiler room of a big bull. At each shot he just shuddered somewhat, then took off at a run and piled up about 100 yards away. A friend shot another big bull with his .30-06 and 180 grain Core-Lokts five times broadside at 100 yards, all in the shoulder/chest area. The bull again just shuddered at each hit, and finally collapsed in his tracks. Its very disconcerting, to say the least. I did watch another friend shoot his bull with his .270 (against my counsel). But he used 150 Noslers at my urging, and this time the bull took three rounds before dropping, and then required a close-up shot to the neck to finish. Have never hunted bison, but from what I've read they react in a similar manner when shot in the body. In my opinion, the .30-06 with 180 grain bullets is the minimum I would take on a moose hunt. But as they say, you can kill anything with even a .22 if you hit them right under ideal conditions. Problem is, 'ideal' conditions rarely present themselves in the field.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I wasn't insinuating they all just drop DRT when shot with a pellet rifle, they are obviously a large animal. I've only seen 2 bulls killed by friends, one with a bow, and the other with a 300 Win Mag. They both reacted as you described, just a shudder, and they walked a few steps and layed down and died. Cartridges lesser than the 270 routinly kill moose as Larkbill pointed out the 6.5x55 has been doing it for decades. If you're expecting a boom flop like a whitetail, I don't think anything short of a 50 BMG will produce that on a moose.
NRA Life Member
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

You guys just need to get off this kick of shooting everything in the "boiler room" and learn to make head shots. My uncle in Montana, along with his 3 boys, shot maybe 20 moose too many elk to count, all with a 6mm Remington. All were head shots and all were DRT. I don't think I have shot an animal in the "boiler room" in 30 or so years. Oh and any one that takes a texas heart shot should have his hunting privileges taken away. :evil:
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

I've seen it not once but twice a 270 taking down a cow one season, a bull the next. Same rifle, Winchester pre-64 model 70 by two different people. That being said both individuals needed follow-up shots to finally put down the moose. The cow was hit right in the back of the spine and the Nosler partition (don't remember the bullet weight) basically exploded no penetration and the shot was around 70 paces. The bull was shot broad side, dead on the right shoulder same bullet same result. That was over 100 yards or so.

The moose we have an a average go between 700-800 lbs. but on occasion 1000 lbs. do pop up from time to time. I haven’t gotten picked yet but when the time comes it’ll be something in the 35 cal. or above. I don’t have a 270 and it wouldn’t be my first choice for moose but if it was I’ll be spending a lot more time with that 270 at the range practicing, practicing and more practicing and at different distances prone, kneeling or standing. I’ll admit I’m not the best shot at all and the last thing I want is to shoot a moose or anything that big, miss my attended target and it goes wandering off another 100 yards or so into a swamp area and try to retrieve it is no party, been there done that. Like everyone would say it’s all about the shot placement.

Mainehunter :wink:
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

I shot this moose with my Henry in 22LR. Just kidding.

I've only taken one moose in my life so I'm no expert. I killed the bull with my lever action Savage in .308 shooting 180 grain core-lokt ammo. Two quick shots into the chest organs at approx. 125 yards did the job. We found both bullets curled under the hide just up like the magazine pictures. Internal damage was ghastly. I suggest a bonded bullet for your moose hunt.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I have personally shot truckloads of deer and have been party and seen a dozen or so elk shot and ya know what does the best job?........a big heavy 45 caliber cast bullet traveling 1500-2000 fps.-----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

harry wrote:You guys just need to get off this kick of shooting everything in the "boiler room" and learn to make head shots. My uncle in Montana, along with his 3 boys, shot maybe 20 moose too many elk to count, all with a 6mm Remington. All were head shots and all were DRT. I don't think I have shot an animal in the "boiler room" in 30 or so years. Oh and any one that takes a texas heart shot should have his hunting privileges taken away. :evil:
Opinions vary..and mine is that anyone who routinely takes head shot should lose their hunting privileges. I've found too many dead and dying animals in the wild with their jaw or throat shot out. They can live a long time like that before they starve or drown in blood.

A heart or lung shot will kill. I'm not a big .270 fan myself, but moose aren't magic and neither are Texas hogs. All the plains game I shot in Africa died from one shot from a .30-'06 Core-lokt in the "boiler room."

I do agree with sixgun that bigger holes work better. They don't have to have a flat trajectory if you know how to range and shoot.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

If the .270 is all you have that's one thing, but if you can use something with a heavier and larger diameter bullet, I would.

I like to lung shoot moose, they are a big animal and need a lot of air. I like the .348 for moose, but I would also think .35 Whelen,
45-70, or even 30-06 with a heavy bullet would serve well.

It's not that it has to be DRT per se. The problem is the type of country you find moose in (around here anyway). If you shoot him and he runs 400yds out into a bog, you now have a problem. Same if its out in a huge chopping full of stumps, slash, and scrub growth.

When we moose hunt, we bring winches, snatch blocks, hundreds of feet of paper machine rope.........It can be a real pain.
Also, the season is early enough (Sept.-Oct. for the rut), that temperatures can be an issue. Most carry large coolers full of ice blocks to stuff in the cavity to get the heat out.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

I shot one of our itty bitty Shiras moose here in Wyoming in 1997 (I think). I know these little fellas don't need near as much killing as your garden variety Maine, Ontario or Alaskan giants, but they will still soak up some foot pounds of energy before giving up. I shot mine once with a 30/06 180 gr of some un-remembered description, and he walked over to the willows and laid down. As I was making meat (not friends) and there was no marsh, lake or pond in sight, I let him expire in his own timeframe rather than filling him full of 180s. He was only mad at me (or disappointed in me) for a minute or two before he laid his head down and went to sleep. A 270 would have had about the same results...as I type this, he's looking down from the wall at me as if to say. "You should have used a heavier gun".
Last edited by Les Staley on Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

vancelw wrote:
harry wrote:You guys just need to get off this kick of shooting everything in the "boiler room" and learn to make head shots. My uncle in Montana, along with his 3 boys, shot maybe 20 moose too many elk to count, all with a 6mm Remington. All were head shots and all were DRT. I don't think I have shot an animal in the "boiler room" in 30 or so years. Oh and any one that takes a texas heart shot should have his hunting privileges taken away. :evil:
Opinions vary..and mine is that anyone who routinely takes head shot should lose their hunting privileges. I've found too many dead and dying animals in the wild with their jaw or throat shot out. They can live a long time like that before they starve or drown in blood.

A heart or lung shot will kill. I'm not a big .270 fan myself, but moose aren't magic and neither are Texas hogs. All the plains game I shot in Africa died from one shot from a .30-'06 Core-lokt in the "boiler room."

I do agree with sixgun that bigger holes work better. They don't have to have a flat trajectory if you know how to range and shoot.
Well you are talking about those of you that go afield with a gun or shooter that can't hit a five gallon bucket at 50 yards, you like those "boiler room" shots because your "bound to hit something" vital.
Trump 2024

65bee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 65bee »

Anyone that advocates head-shots on big game doesn't deserve to be called a 'sportsman'! I thought at first his response was tongue-in-cheek, but now realize it made in seriousness. Unbelieveable! I also have seen the pathetic sight of a deer with its jaw shot off by some bone-head trying to prove he's a 'one-shot' wonder in the game field. The sight was gut-wrenching.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Head shots can be iffy on moose and are generally frowned upon (at least in this neck of the woods).

It's a case of a lot of head and not much brain..........I resemble that remark! :roll:
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

65bee wrote:Anyone that advocates head-shots on big game doesn't deserve to be called a 'sportsman'! I thought at first his response was tongue-in-cheek, but now realize it made in seriousness. Unbelieveable! I also have seen the pathetic sight of a deer with its jaw shot off by some bone-head trying to prove he's a 'one-shot' wonder in the game field. The sight was gut-wrenching.
Well like I said before if you can't make the shot you shouldn't be taking it, no deference than seeing gut shot deer running around or found dead in a gully. You just figure that a chest shot will kill the deer sooner or later and you will be able to find it. So take your sanctimonious and hide it where the sun don't shine.
Trump 2024

Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

OldWin wrote:Head shots can be iffy on moose and are generally frowned upon (at least in this neck of the woods).

It's a case of a lot of head and not much brain..........I resemble that remark! :roll:
I've seen a cow up to Jackman at one of the tagging stations few years back had the top of her head blown off and BOY! The guy that took the shot got some heat by the locals. There were some game wardens there and they weren't too impressed either.

Mainehunter :wink:
TWHBC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TWHBC »

"...our itty bitty Shiras moose here in Wyoming in 1997..."
Injecting a little humor here?
About 5 years ago my wife and I were horseback riding in the Cloud Peak Wilderness area in Wyoming. We were going up a rocky narrow trail. Next to the trail were very brushy thickets on both sides and when the brush opened up a little you could see standing water areas off to the right. Suddenly 3 large black areas showed up about 15 yds. off to the right. The brush opened up a little, and all 3 black areas moved a little, raised their heads, showing horns that varied in size, to us huge animals!
My wife , what now? Just keep moving was the simple answer, because we could not turn around due to steepness, brush proximity, and rocks.
Moved we did, horses paid no attention, struggling uphill (remember flatland Iowa horses), till we reached the immediate top. Could not see the moose anymore, but they looked to be as big as our horses to us! Glad they continued feeding after the interruption.
So I guess that itty bitty Shiras moose is a matter of perspective! :)
Thanks for advising about the Shiras subspecies!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

harry wrote:
vancelw wrote:
harry wrote:You guys just need to get off this kick of shooting everything in the "boiler room" and learn to make head shots. :
Well you are talking about those of you that go afield with a gun or shooter that can't hit a five gallon bucket at 50 yards, you like those "boiler room" shots because your "bound to hit something" vital.
Do you think so? :?
It's called the heart and lungs. :!: Guaranteed to die if hit in one or the other. But, if you know someone who lives somewhere where people hunt by intentionally taking head shot, you probably know what you're talking about. :roll:

If a person tries for a heart and lung shot and hits the guts, do you really that person could make a clean kill on a brain shot? smh
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

vancelw wrote:
harry wrote:
vancelw wrote:
harry wrote:You guys just need to get off this kick of shooting everything in the "boiler room" and learn to make head shots. :
Do you think so? :?
It's called the heart and lungs. :!: Guaranteed to die if hit in one or the other. But, if you know someone who lives somewhere where people hunt by intentionally taking head shot, you probably know what you're talking about. :roll:

If a person tries for a heart and lung shot and hits the guts, do you really that person could make a clean kill on a brain shot? smh
This person should not be hunting at all, as I said if you can't make the shot don't take it. Go for the 12 to 18 zone on a deer or elk, where you might hit something vital and you'll feel good about it.
Trump 2024

7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

To answer the original question, a .270 will work just fine on a moose. Use the right bullet that won't come apart and stop short.

I hear a lot of people complain about a moose going 100 yards after being shot. I know a guy who has decided a .30-06 is insufficient after it happened to him. That happens with deer all the time too, whether you use a .223 or a .338. People blame too much on the bullet, too little on the shooter, and nothing on chance or the individual animal's reaction to being shot. Anyone who is realistic knows that all animals don't flop over every time you shoot one.

Also, some good advice here. The moose we have up here are bigger than the smaller, black-legged ones in Maine and other places in the Lower-48, but not so much bigger that the same considerations don't apply.

You don't gut them and throw them over your shoulder and walk out. So as mentioned, that 400 yard shot might not be the best idea if it is standing in a place that is hard to access. Don't shoot it when it is standing in the lake. Winches make handling easier, and gutting, too. Some people up here put food-grade oil in their chainsaws for butchering.

Head and neck shots are fine, but know what you are trying to hit and be close enough.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

7.62 Precision wrote:To answer the original question, a .270 will work just fine on a moose. Use the right bullet that won't come apart and stop short.

I hear a lot of people complain about a moose going 100 yards after being shot. I know a guy who has decided a .30-06 is insufficient after it happened to him. That happens with deer all the time too, whether you use a .223 or a .338. People blame too much on the bullet, too little on the shooter, and nothing on chance or the individual animal's reaction to being shot. Anyone who is realistic knows that all animals don't flop over every time you shoot one.

Also, some good advice here. The moose we have up here are bigger than the smaller, black-legged ones in Maine and other places in the Lower-48, but not so much bigger that the same considerations don't apply.

You don't gut them and throw them over your shoulder and walk out. So as mentioned, that 400 yard shot might not be the best idea if it is standing in a place that is hard to access. Don't shoot it when it is standing in the lake. Winches make handling easier, and gutting, too. Some people up here put food-grade oil in their chainsaws for butchering.

Head and neck shots are fine, but know what you are trying to hit and be close enough.
Well Said! +1
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Harry isnt advocating long distance head shooting, alot of times when I catch a bedded elk its more often than not facing me or facing away either way its a high neck or head shot. I hunt dark timber so shots are close. Theres a advantage to a H/L shot the animal does bleed out better saves the time of sticking them for a good bleed. all this goes back to something we discussed on here awhile back, get you a handful of those orange trap birds start close and work your way out standing, sitting or kneeling when you CAN'T hit them 100% of the time thats your max distance for the position. My Dad started on deer and elk with a 22 HP in a 99 neck shooting when ammo dried up he used a 250. Its placement not the caliber. danny
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

The most important issue with a 270 is stout bullets as heavy as possible. I think if a guy is stretching the range a 30-06 is much better. Moose do seem to give up the ghost easier than an elk. That is the general thought around here. My moose rifle is a 444 with 265 Hornady FNs at 150 to 200 max paces. My longest was 175 paces. Ran maybe 20 paces and DRT when I got to it. Quartering shot lung and liver destroyed. Once a moose or elk are down the work starts!

My family homesteaded in some real good moose country when the depression drove them north. My uncle was fond of saying we don't shoot a moose around here unless he's got two hooves in the pickup box.