ARMADILLO'S

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
shane-vs-wilson
Levergunner

ARMADILLO'S

Post by shane-vs-wilson »

I'm located in the flint hills of Kansas. Over the last few years those critters have been moving north out of Oklahoma. My friend has one of these suckers trenching and tunneling all thru the yard. He's busier than a "VC"!!!!! He only comes out at night. If I see him I will run a 35 rem. thru him!!! A back hoe has nothing on him. My ? is what can we do beside shoot him to make him uncomfortable and move on? Thankx
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Re: ARMADILLO'S

Post by vancelw »

If you find his burrow or if he gets under a building, plug the exit with a simple live trap (door swings to let him in but not out)

Kill them all. They root up yards, destroy foundations. They are an invasive pest.

They are very near sighted and stupid. If they don't see you in motion, you can sneak right up and grab them by the tail. No joke. But I prefer a 22 or 357.
Last edited by vancelw on Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

run a hose from the truck exhaust into the burrow system. start truck. simple, eh?
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

The reason you have them is because you have a food source for them. If there's no food they'll move on. You might need to fumigate your soil to kill what they are feeding on.

In the mean time, no need for a 35 Rem. A air rifle will do fine. You can set a Hav-a-Hart trap in the yard and they might just wander into it. I have caught several that way. No need to bait it.

In the mean time look up recipes for possum on the half shell. :lol:

With bar b que sauce they :lol: taste like pork.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Some folks in Texas say they are right tasty when cooked in their shell under campfire coals similar to potatoes or a whole hog (Hawaiian treat).
Maybe that is why they are migrating northward?
I have not tried to eat any, but they do may good target practice.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

If they aren't under anything that would be damaged by being uprooted, acetylene, a 12 volt battery and several feet of wire can not only do away with the critter, but can be fun as well. I've entertained myself doing away with gophers this way.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

You might check into it, but I think they can carry leprosy (before you handle one). Good .22 air rifle or some of the 22 cb ammo.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Live trap 'em, paint 'em with glow in the dark paint, then turn 'em loose in the city. That should cause some fun and excitement. :lol:

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

J Miller wrote:Live trap 'em, paint 'em with glow in the dark paint, then turn 'em loose in the city. That should cause some fun and excitement. :lol:

Joe
I love the way you think :twisted:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Washita
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Washita »

We've had 2 of 'em in out neighborhood at different times. I'd have loved to shoot them, but I'm afraid our neighbors might object to live fire in a residential area. For that matter, so would I. With the first one I borrowed a trap from the county agent, who wished us luck but also said that so far nobody he'd loaned it to was successful in actually trapping one. We gave it a try, by setting it up immediately in front of the burrow. We used 2 - 2x6's vertically in front of the burrow, in a vee formation, with the exit end leading up to the gate on the trap. To make it more appealing. we smeared mashed bananas around the approach to the trap and inside it. Figgered this would be foolproof. No dice. Like all the other would-be trappers we came up empty-handed. The little booger somehow resisted temptation & got in & out of his hole whenever he wanted to. After a week or so of trying, we gave up & gave the so-called "trap" back to the county agent. Since we didn't really care about trapping the 'dillo but really just wanted to get rid of it, we took another approach. Bought a bag of ready mix cement & poured it into the burrow's entrance hole, then watered it down. 'Bye bye armored 'dillo.

When the next one showed up we didn't fool around. Went straight to the ready mix, with equally satisfactory results. Haven't had an armadillo in the 'hood since, probably 3 or 4 years now.

Good luck!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

J Miller wrote:Live trap 'em, paint 'em with glow in the dark paint, then turn 'em loose in the city. That should cause some fun and excitement.
:lol: :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Fiddler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Fiddler »

Washita wrote:We've had 2 of 'em in out neighborhood at different times. I'd have loved to shoot them, but I'm afraid our neighbors might object to live fire in a residential area. For that matter, so would I. With the first one I borrowed a trap from the county agent, who wished us luck but also said that so far nobody he'd loaned it to was successful in actually trapping one. We gave it a try, by setting it up immediately in front of the burrow. We used 2 - 2x6's vertically in front of the burrow, in a vee formation, with the exit end leading up to the gate on the trap. To make it more appealing. we smeared mashed bananas around the approach to the trap and inside it. Figgered this would be foolproof. No dice. Like all the other would-be trappers we came up empty-handed. The little booger somehow resisted temptation & got in & out of his hole whenever he wanted to. After a week or so of trying, we gave up & gave the so-called "trap" back to the county agent. Since we didn't really care about trapping the 'dillo but really just wanted to get rid of it, we took another approach. Bought a bag of ready mix cement & poured it into the burrow's entrance hole, then watered it down. 'Bye bye armored 'dillo.

When the next one showed up we didn't fool around. Went straight to the ready mix, with equally satisfactory results. Haven't had an armadillo in the 'hood since, probably 3 or 4 years now.

Good luck!
Didn't the armadillo just dig its way out past the hardened cement? Then again, maybe the critter wasn't home when you poured the cement. The armadillos around here each have several burrows they create around the neighborhood, in case sunrise catches them too far from the burrow they left after dark.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

"Kansas" and "hills" in the same sentence? Didn't believe you till I did a search. Looks like pretty country.

Yes, to the comment about leprosy

http://www.cdc.gov/leprosy/exposure/armadillos.html

Chances are low, per the posting, but it's something you should know.

If you google armadillos and leprosy, or armadillos and Hansen's disease you'll get a lot of scary links.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

J Miller wrote:Live trap 'em, paint 'em with glow in the dark paint, then turn 'em loose in the city. That should cause some fun and excitement. :lol:

Joe
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Joe... you are a Terrorist. Be careful and never, ever, use a towel...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Armadillos give birth to genetically identical quadruplets (always) making them perfect for scientific research, especially leprosy which they and man can carry. They are a common food item among illegal Mexicans, as they can be easily caught without using a gun. The leprosy is pretty rare among them, though I have not ate one since I heard this way back. I have ate quite a few, after shelling em and cooking em in a pot with spuds and carrots and onions, they have clean pink meat much like pork, it is not the best thing you ever ate, but it ain't bad. They are also excellent swimmers, and die real hard like a cat. As was stated earlier, you can ease up slowly behind em and catch em by the tail, and failing that, a young fella can run one down. If you chase one and he gets partially in his hole, you couldn't pull him out with a tractor, he is DUG in. They will, on occasion, sit up on their hind legs like a dog begging.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

their first defense is to jump straight up, so if you straddle one in your car, they commit suicide.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Cayenne pepper sprinkled heavily around the entrance to their burrow has worked for me in the past.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

"food item among illegal Mexicans"

Legal folk eat 'em, too.

If you want weird, there's a stork season in AZ. People eat them. Supposedly they do not taste like chicken but instead taste like mud.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

2571 wrote:"food item among illegal Mexicans"

Legal folk eat 'em, too.

If you want weird, there's a stork season in AZ. People eat them. Supposedly they do not taste like chicken but instead taste like mud.
It's called, "Possum on the half-shell" but I don't know anyone who actually eats it :? They probably have a much cleaner diet than possums do.

There are stork and crane seasons in several states. I've never hunted or eaten either. Would try it once, at least.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Washita
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Washita »

Fiddler wrote:
Washita wrote:We've had 2 of 'em in out neighborhood at different times. I'd have loved to shoot them, but I'm afraid our neighbors might object to live fire in a residential area. For that matter, so would I. With the first one I borrowed a trap from the county agent, who wished us luck but also said that so far nobody he'd loaned it to was successful in actually trapping one. We gave it a try, by setting it up immediately in front of the burrow. We used 2 - 2x6's vertically in front of the burrow, in a vee formation, with the exit end leading up to the gate on the trap. To make it more appealing. we smeared mashed bananas around the approach to the trap and inside it. Figgered this would be foolproof. No dice. Like all the other would-be trappers we came up empty-handed. The little booger somehow resisted temptation & got in & out of his hole whenever he wanted to. After a week or so of trying, we gave up & gave the so-called "trap" back to the county agent. Since we didn't really care about trapping the 'dillo but really just wanted to get rid of it, we took another approach. Bought a bag of ready mix cement & poured it into the burrow's entrance hole, then watered it down. 'Bye bye armored 'dillo.

Good luck!
Didn't the armadillo just dig its way out past the hardened cement? Then again, maybe the critter wasn't home when you poured the cement. The armadillos around here each have several burrows they create around the neighborhood, in case sunrise catches them too far from the burrow they left after dark.
Nope. Never saw hide nor hair of 'em again. I can only guess why.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

2571: You have taken my statement completely out of context. I said a "COMMON food item among illegal Mexicans.". Being born and raised in the Desert Southwest, and meaning I have never seen legal, established members of the Mexican population eat an armadillo, only persons crossing the Rio Grande, crossing the desert, and using them commonly for food, and often mixed with nopalitos. The only legal person I have ever witnessed eating them is myself, and anyone eating at my table, meaning it is fairly Uncommon for legals to eat them.
Perhaps, you might enlighten us on on the dietary habits of your Detroit muslim folks, which, may or may not include armadillos :roll:
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

A few armadillos have leprosy. They apparently get it from humans. Leprosy was mentioned in the Bible but there are no armadillos in the Old World nor any record of leprosy here until them darned white skinned devils began arriving.

The comment about the meat is true. Reminds me of eye of pork chop. Years ago the was an Armadillo breeders division at the Texas state fair. Interestingly they have no real teeth, just some callouses on their gums. Stick a finger in their mouth and the 'teeth' feel like the surface of a fingernail. I fed mine left over vegetable and soaked dry dog food. They could not chew it otherwise. Also they do commit suicide by jumping up into the undercarriage of vehicles. I have had pet armadillos on two different occasions. They are not too bright but nonetheless interesting. The flavor isn't bad. Generally I find that the skills of the chef have more to do with edibility of anything than do the basic ingredients.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Joe
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

octagon wrote:2571: You have taken my statement completely out of context. I said a "COMMON food item among illegal Mexicans.". Being born and raised in the Desert Southwest, and meaning I have never seen legal, established members of the Mexican population eat an armadillo, only persons crossing the Rio Grande, crossing the desert, and using them commonly for food, and often mixed with nopalitos. The only legal person I have ever witnessed eating them is myself, and anyone eating at my table, meaning it is fairly Uncommon for legals to eat them.
Perhaps, you might enlighten us on on the dietary habits of your Detroit muslim folks, which, may or may not include armadillos :roll:
There's a substantial Mexican population in Detroit. My daughter was raised in Detroit by Mexicans both legal & illegal. Her Spanish is more eloquent than her English.

I've seen armadillo in Mexican stores where she shops, albeit not frequently. I've seen grasshoppers & worms, too. Yechh!

I've seen adherents of Islam in Detroit eat pizza with and without pepperoni. Equating a food source as proof of citizenship is racist, ridiculous & small.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Old Ironsights wrote:

Joe
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Joe... you are a Terrorist. Be careful and never, ever, use a towel...

Why -- would that make him a member of the Towlie-ban ?
----- Doug
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

2571, your tendencies to raise objections about trivial matters is tiresome. If you wish to make inflammatory remarks repeatedly on this forum you'll continue to draw the ire of folks here. for example your recent remarks about your supporting islamic community members, then folks tried to engage you, and you just don't reply, seems like a trollish game. I will refrain from rising to your bait in the future. You have been deactivated. Lawyers :roll:
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

How about a road flare down the burrow and then shovel over the entrance?
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

92&94 wrote:How about a road flare down the burrow and then shovel over the entrance?
That ought to work, but it isn't as much fun as the acetylene. :twisted:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

jeepnik wrote:
92&94 wrote:How about a road flare down the burrow and then shovel over the entrance?
That ought to work, but it isn't as much fun as the acetylene. :twisted:
A true statement :lol:
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

I don't know much about these armored dillos but would you be able to feed a garden hose full of black powder down the burrow and blow both burrow and dillo to kingdom come.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

gundownunder wrote:I don't know much about these armored dillos but would you be able to feed a garden hose full of black powder down the burrow and blow both burrow and dillo to kingdom come.
Now we're talking. :mrgreen:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

2571 wrote:
octagon wrote:2571: You have taken my statement completely out of context. I said a "COMMON food item among illegal Mexicans.". Being born and raised in the Desert Southwest, and meaning I have never seen legal, established members of the Mexican population eat an armadillo, only persons crossing the Rio Grande, crossing the desert, and using them commonly for food, and often mixed with nopalitos. The only legal person I have ever witnessed eating them is myself, and anyone eating at my table, meaning it is fairly Uncommon for legals to eat them.
There's a substantial Mexican population in Detroit. My daughter was raised in Detroit by Mexicans both legal & illegal. Her Spanish is more eloquent than her English.

I've seen armadillo in Mexican stores where she shops, albeit not frequently. I've seen grasshoppers & worms, too. Yechh!

I've seen adherents of Islam in Detroit eat pizza with and without pepperoni. Equating a food source as proof of citizenship is racist, ridiculous & small.
If you remove the "leftist PC" from racism it is a good thing. I can see the differences in thinking, culture, foods, etc. in different races/background of peoples. The problems arise when those different from me take offence that I notice the differences (aka "racism"), or the identification of those differences is used in a negative way. Racism has replaced the word prejudice and is used incorrectly.

I grew up in a neighborhood where my family was one of three white families in the area. I only used forks and spoons 1/2 of the time (when I ate at home) and tortillas to scoop up beans or to grab a piece of roast chicken the rest of the time. I never heard of eating armadillo among my Mexican friends (yes Mexican, not "Hispanic" or "Latino, 99% could trace their lineage to Mexico). The "weirdest" thing they enjoyed (and it's not limited to Mexicans) was sheep's head. And after I tasted it, it weren't to danged weird...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Youse guys are just mean. Poor armored Dillos. :lol: :P
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!