For those that hunt Wyo, CWD update

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

For those that hunt Wyo, CWD update

Post by BigSky56 »

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Re: For those that hunt Wyo, CWD update

Post by Old Ironsights »

Braaaiinnnsss.....

All the more reason to kill Zombie Cervids...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Question: If your out in the boonies hunting is there a way to tell an animal has or has not got the CWD other than abnormal behavior?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Nope, no way to tell. Most states with it have programs where you send in a sample after the kill and it is tested before consumption. Still no evidence that people can be affected but it does bring back memories of the problems in the UK with mad cow disease.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Sure there is. They are the ones that allow the PETAoids to spray them with orange paint... :wink:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Joe in the later stages the animal stands around with its back arched and is not as alert as other animals, when I break down a deer or elk I check the liver first thing milky colored or white spots on liver its in poor health could be one of a half dozen diseases. CWD started on game farms and the animals either escaped or contaminated local wild animals. The cause is well known feeding animal protein processed feeds such as chicken feed and hog feed, they are omnivores, and molasses/mineral licks with animal fats to ungulates. danny
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Danny,

Thanks. Seems like us humans are causing ourselves way too many problems.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

Danny,

Do you know of CWD being confirmed from wild populations in MT?? It's probably only a matter of time if we don't already have it.

Thanks!

Gary
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BigSky56 wrote:CWD started on game farms and the animals either escaped or contaminated local wild animals.
Leverluver wrote:Most states with it have programs where you send in a sample after the kill and it is tested before consumption.
Then there's Indiana - last time I asked (last year at a checking station) there was NO 'checking for CWD', yet we're now starting to increase the number of 'game farms'... :|
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

I didn't mean that it was mandatory or that it happened at check stations only. In WY, if you want to know, you voluntarily send in the sample they require and they will test and let you know, one way or another. If you really are concerned and want to be totally safe, you have to wait for the test reports. I do believe that the test itself is still free so all you are out is some time. I do not know what the alternative is if it tests positive as I haven't hunted here for several years.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Gary, not that I know of but its in So Idaho from game farms I expect it to show up in SW MT & SE MT soon. danny
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Yo Danny.........good to hear from you. :D Here in the East, I only hear occasional reports. But dang, we sure do have a lot of two legged creatures with diseases worse than that.-----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

8 out of the last 10 deer I had checked here was positive!!!
they do charge for the test unless you hit a game check or know some one (25.00?)
they also send you a permit to take it to the land fill if its positive & that's where it goes for me!
the cwd has stopped me from elk hunting & made me a horn hunter on deer, if I want
a few steaks & jerky I go antelope hunting, in all as I age I don't feel much like killing animals
any more, steel or a distant hill side works for me now

ollogger
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

You only live once and altzheimers at 80 vs altzheimers at 90 doesn't seem like that much of a risk..

Honestly, if you stay away from Brain/spine/organ meat, a CWD Zombie is no worse for you than a Hormone-pumped feedlot cow.

I did my bit with target shooting. At this stage in my life, targets are for verification and rifles are for bringing home meat or overturning politics...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

ollogger
Thanks for the explaination. Been a long time since I hunted. Like you, I get more fun out of making big rocks into little rocks than anything else. I was wondering what happened if the test came back positive. Now I know..thanks.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

They have been dealing with CWD in Wisconsin for over 10 years now. It effects the whole state. But yet I have never witnessed a sick or strange behavior from a deer. Either on the farm or different places where I hunt. I believe that infected deer don't live long enough too die from CWD. The only bad organs I seen from gutting a deer , was from one that was hit by a car and had a broken leg sometime before I had shot it. We have been eating the venison all along through this CWD concern. Even though a person doesn't like seeing it spread and I would prefer not having CWD, it is not as scary as they make it sound. The deer are not tipping over left and right from CWD.
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Don't think its not in the wild deer, moose and elk in Montana, every state and province that surrounds MT has it and it's in captive game animals in Montana already.
http://www.cwd-info.org/index.php/fuseaction/about.map
"In November and December 1999, all 83 elk at the Philipsburg facility in Montana (the source of the CWD captive positive in Oklahoma) were destroyed." (Unknown how long the soil stays contaminated)

"The Colorado Division of Wildlife attempted to eliminate CWD from the Fort Collins Foothills Wildlife Research Facility by treating the soil with chlorine, removing the treated soil, and applying an additional chlorine treatment before letting the facility remain vacant for more than a year. The effort was unsuccessful."
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

Thanks for the update Danny.

While I'm not the hung-ho hunter I was once, I still do enjoy the "fruits" of a successful hunt. I just had finished eating some nice backstrap steaks from a white-tail doe I shot last fall. A deer or two is much appreciated in our household; both my wife and I prefer it to most cuts of store-bought meat. Probably has as much to do with saving some bucks (money) as anything. We're kinda frugal.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Harry, I wouldnt be surprised if its here and the game farm that had 80+ elk the prions that the elk shed are probably still in the soil, the scientists say you cant get CJD (Creutzfeld-Jakob Disease) from a CWD animal but at the same time say it would take 40 years to develop in a human course it didnt take that long for 10 people in UK that got CJD from BSE cattle (mad cow) the new term that the scientists use is TSE (Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathies). Valery Geist a professor of animal science in Calgary AB 1998 says he wouldnt eat TSE tainted animals . There have been a handful of people in the USA that have come down CJD I cant recall if the source was ID one was a hunter and ate game. danny
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

it may already be affecting humans in the district of Columbia......affecting elected and appointed officials.....CWDCO [ Certifiable Washington DC Officials ]
cable