Ammo ban hurt AR sales?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Ammo ban hurt AR sales?

Post by Canuck Bob »

Just read on Fox News about some ammo ban that will affect AR15 sales. Sorry for my ignorance but what are they talking about? I usually consider your country nirvana for limited gun control.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Re: Ammo ban hurt AR sales?

Post by Old Ironsights »

They certainly hope it will.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Yes, it certainly will affect AR15 sales and ammo sales, the ammo in question has tripled in price in some places over the last 12 hours and some stores are reporting being cleaned out. AR 15's and parts for same will soar in the next few days as the panic sets in more firmly, as will all sorts of ammo not even associated with the AR15. Primers, powder and cases will become inobtainium again by this time two weeks from now. :roll:
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Well, its a proposal at this point, not yet a ban. It also is one particular type of ammo (NOT all 5.56 as some seem to think for some reason), and not neccesarily the cheapest or exactly the best at anything. None of which will prevent people from acting crazy over the whole thing.

On other forums, I've seen comments that 855 ammo went up in online sales outlets and gunbroker, then has peaked and was dropping back to more realistic levels. Other types of ammo, like M193 seems OK so far.

Its annoying that they are trying to do this when the ammo doesnt meet the description of armor piercing ( it has a partial steel core, partial lead core, rather than an all steel or other heard material), and when the originators of the LEOSA bill 30 years ago specifically said they didnt intend for it to apply to rifle ammo in any way, even if handguns were chanbered in said rifle calibers.

Comments are open on the proposal. There 2 or 3 weeks left to comment.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

APAComments@atf.gov

Try to be nice. :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

why would a proposed ban, on one type of ammo (62 grain M855), have any affect on rifle sales? There's plenty of other inexpensive 55gr, 62gr, 69gr, etc 5.56 ammo out there.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Why indeed.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Hurt? No. Every one of these pieces of tyranny has the affect of causing the american populace to arm themselves even more.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I can certainly get on board with that. :D

The laws of unintended consequences.

horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

jdad wrote:why would a proposed ban, on one type of ammo (62 grain M855), have any affect on rifle sales? There's plenty of other inexpensive 55gr, 62gr, 69gr, etc 5.56 ammo out there.
My thoughts exactly! Especially now that they have started producing the OTM bullets. The 855 was my preferred ammo, but that was primarily because I have the 1/7 twist.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

1/7 seems to shoot 55 gr OK also.

Have you shot any of the Mk262 or Mk318 or any of the commercial loads with heavier bullets? Most of the heavy stuff (up to 77 gr or so) should shoot OK in 1/7.

Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

What's even dumber is the fact that at .50 cents a round, more effective 5.56 types becomes a viable consumer alternative. M855 isn't spectacular at anything except for its halfway decent price... And the fact that it seems to be the minimum wieght my rifle will feed :P

I'm opposing the measure on sheer principle, not because the round is particularly great. Any rifle round will penetrate soft body armor and can be fitted for pistol use-- Can you say "contender"? What's next when the ATF decides they want to change the rules again?
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

jdad said
why would a proposed ban, on one type of ammo (62 grain M855), have any affect on rifle sales? There's plenty of other inexpensive 55gr, 62gr, 69gr, etc 5.56 ammo out there.
Because, ya gotta start somewhere. Watch and see this is only the beginning. No boolits=effective disarming. :x Gotta get around that pesky 2nd amend somehow.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

855 this time, what's next?
That's the problem.....

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

pshort wrote:855 this time, what's next?
That's the problem.....

Paul
You nailed it. :evil:

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Malamute wrote:1/7 seems to shoot 55 gr OK also.

Have you shot any of the Mk262 or Mk318 or any of the commercial loads with heavier bullets? Most of the heavy stuff (up to 77 gr or so) should shoot OK in 1/7.
I shoot the 69 grain OTM now. I have some 75 grain OTM, but it is pretty tight in the mag. I haven't made it to the range to shoot it yet to see how it feeds.

Totally understand the concept of this is the antis looking to get their foot in the door. However, I don't feel that the ban of one type of ammo is going to kill the AR platform. AR prices are dirt cheap right now, if you have been on the fence, you might want to jump, I doubt they will remain there long.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

UncleBuck wrote:jdad said
Because, ya gotta start somewhere. Watch and see this is only the beginning. No boolits=effective disarming. :x Gotta get around that pesky 2nd amend somehow.

Yeah, they started this with steel core 7.62x39, and look how bad that got.

Oh wait, that was 20 years ago, and they havent tried to ban any other type of 7.62x39 yet. 7.62x39 is still one the the cheapest centerfire ammo around. If they go at this pace, it will be about 300 years before their nefarious plan really gets rolling.

RJS
Levergunner 1.0

Post by RJS »

The second amendment includes ammo too. A rifle without ammo is no more useful than a stick, clearly outside the intent of the framers imho.
RJ
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

rjs wrote:The second amendment includes ammo too. A rifle without ammo is no more useful than a stick, clearly outside the intent of the framers imho.
RJ
What rifle is going to be without ammo?

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I dont see the original thread discussing the proposed ban. It looks like this has riled some people up. Over 100 signatories to a letter to the ATF from reps, on both sides of the aisle.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/02 ... -ammo-ban/

Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Malamute wrote:
rjs wrote:The second amendment includes ammo too. A rifle without ammo is no more useful than a stick, clearly outside the intent of the framers imho.
RJ
Whichever the one the ATF decides, apparently.

All the inexpensive stuff is gone at my usual outlets. Was surprised Sportsman's Warehouse had 55gr FMJ 193 at around .35/rnd. Was getting snapped up like nothing. It's rapidly going the way 22LR was. Here's a conspiracy for you-- The random and arbitrary announcement that a particular round/caliber will be banned, purposely creating a run on supply to purposely burn that particular caliber out of easy ownership. Even if the ATF doesn't succeed in this, look how long it took .22 to recover and its still not even there yet.

It feels like a game. Even if they don't succeed at their primary objective, they've created enough chaos and discord to align with other objectives. After all, just because its more expensive doesn't mean we infringed upon your rights, does it?
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Once again, Obummer & his minions prove to be the firearm industry's best salesmen!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Panzercat wrote:
Malamute wrote:
RJ
Whichever the one the ATF decides, apparently.

All the inexpensive stuff is gone at my usual outlets. Was surprised Sportsman's Warehouse had 55gr FMJ 193 at around .35/rnd. Was getting snapped up like nothing. It's rapidly going the way 22LR was. Here's a conspiracy for you-- The random and arbitrary announcement that a particular round/caliber will be banned, purposely creating a run on supply to purposely burn that particular caliber out of easy ownership. Even if the ATF doesn't succeed in this, look how long it took .22 to recover and its still not even there yet.

It feels like a game. Even if they don't succeed at their primary objective, they've created enough chaos and discord to align with other objectives. After all, just because its more expensive doesn't mean we infringed upon your rights, does it?
I think you're reading WAY too much into this.

ETA: It looks like theres over 170 reps from both sides signing on to the letter ragging on the ATF about this now.