Trombone action 30/06

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
MingoKid
Levergunner 1.0

Trombone action 30/06

Post by MingoKid »

Found a great deal the other day. A trombone action Remington model 760 in 30/06. It had mount and an inexpensive scope. I removed the scope, rings, and mount. Today I placed a Williams WGRS receiver sight and removed the buckhorn factory rear irons. It is a BDL edition and is a real hoot to shoot. I got it for 3 Benjamins before the peep sight. It looks too nice for a truck gun, but alas that is its intended role. Can't wait to sight it in! MK :D
I know not what the future holds, but I know who holds the future!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Trombone action 30/06

Post by Rusty »

Congratulations. :D
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

MingoKid wrote:It looks too nice for a truck gun, but alas that is its intended role. Can't wait to sight it in! MK :D
The right gun case might go a long way to keeping it from being damaged.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Good find. The 760 Remington's are the sleeper gun in the accuracy department. Except for the older, first models the barrels are free-floated by design, most will shoot right up there with an accurate bolt gun.

If you really want a truck gun here's a thought: Take the BDL wood off it and sell it on Ebay, you'll be surprised what it'll bring, and put a good set of synthetic furniture on it. Have the barrel cut and crowned at 20", or do it yourself like I did, and re-mount a hi-viz sight back from the muzzle about 6". I know this sounds weird but it really helps keep the sight from snagging on stuff and you still have a longer sight radius than the original sight set up. On the first one I built I used a banded front sight I had lying around and that just happened to be where the band got tight on the barrel taper, but man did it work out well. Scrounge around and find an old Colyer 8rd clip for it, find one for the .308/243 and take the spacer out of it....they feed better, and wa-laa you've got an ace truck gun that will probably out shoot you.

I threw one of these together on a junker 760, or at least I thought it was until I shot it, that I picked up for under $200 for a winter project about 15 years ago. I was going to cut the barrel shorter but made the mistake of shooting it in the 20" configuration, grouped under an inch at 100yds with factory ammo, and I wouldn't touch it after that. (I could still see well back then.) I used it as a truck/utility/loaner gun for several years. I had cut the stock off to a 12" LOP to make it quicker handling, boy did it, and it was just right for most people to use as a "handi" rifle. Even with the stock cut they still scope well with a compact scope mounted low and a little more forward if you decide to scope it.

I wound up building 4 more of them for buddies that had shot it. Sold mine in a weak moment to a buddy that needed one right now as a back up gun on an elk hunt and haven't built another yet.....but I will...still have my Colyer clips. :D

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Here's a pic of the first one I built with the original wood. You can't see the Lyman sight base on the other side but it's there. After I sighted it in I locktite'd the stop screw in place, never had it move when I took it off to mount the scope then replaced it. This is a older model with the original slide assembly, on the newer guns the barrels are completely free-floated.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

Congrats, most of these old Rem pumps are danged good shooters and the 06 is my favorite.
Lassiter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Lassiter »

A guy I used to deer hunt with had one. We both handloaded, he could get his Remington pump 30-06 to group as well as I could my model 700. Both inside 1" at 100 yards off of the bench. He probably still hunts with it.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Dad shot his last nice buck with this one when he was about 86 years old. I inherited and didn't shoot it for many years as I have plenty other nice rifles. I finally got to it and was pleasantly surprised. It was accurate. Dad at 6ft 4"s put a pad on it for LOP. Also put the peep and sling on. Its light, fast handling, accurate and in 30-06. I believe I will be taking this along on my rzr. I would like to find a good extended magazine for it. I wanted to post a picture of it but it is too big. Got a message to that effect.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

My father in law uses a 7600 in .30-06. He hunts in the People's Republic of New Jerzistan, as well as PA, where semiautos are apparently not allowed (though NJ allows semiauto shotguns for deer?)

He's killed dozens with his, and has a few bolt guns as well.

HIS father (who I never met) used a 760 in .300 Savage. His father apparently never had issues killing anything he wanted to either.....

I'm a bolt gun guy, but the Remington pumps certainly are 'accurate enough' and get the job done.
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

I had a 760 Carbine in 06 for a long time, shot well under an inch at 100 with handloads. Was a great pig buster with 180 grain round nose.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Bruce, a forum member here started a pump gun forum.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

I had one in 308, sold it to my Nephew. Worst mistake I ever made. He still has the piece, holds on to it like Gold.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30