475 Turnbull rifles

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

475 Turnbull rifles

Post by t.r. »

Last weekend I drove over to the large Sportsman's Show in Harrisburg. Many interesting vendors and I met lots of friendly folks. I handled two 475 Turnbull rifles which are based upon modified 1886 Winchester rifles. High quality color case hardening and smooth actions really impressed me. The 475 Turnbull cartridge is a modified 50-110 case that looks quite potent and very unpleasant to shoot. Paper ballistics are impressive if you're into that sort of thing. Does the 475 Turnbull have any advantages over the mighty 444 Marlin? That's a debate for folks more knowledgeable than me.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 475 Turnbull rifles

Post by TedH »

It's a considerable step up in power from a 444. It looks to me like the 475 Turnbull is to the 45-70, what the 45-70 is to the 444 Marlin. Larger diameter, heavier bullets at a slightly higher velocity. Certainly a niche cartridge, but if I had the money, I wouldn't mind having one of his rifles so chambered.
NRA Life Member
MingoKid
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MingoKid »

I ended up with a deal too good to pass on a few years back. I have a Wild West Guns Guide Gun in 50 Alaskan. I don't shoot it a lot but I imagine that the deer I am shooting is N'yati or Jumbo! Just like to use it when I can. Hold snug and go along for the ride. I don't find it all that much more than a snappy 45/70. 525 grain cast lead makes a bang / flop of most any deer or hog. MK :D
I know not what the future holds, but I know who holds the future!
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

The 1886 .45-90 properly loaded can equal or exceed the published 475 Turnbull velocity and energy with a 450 grain bullet.
Mine does and it also does take dangerous game, though those top loads will let you know you just fired a big gun.
Of course the .45-90 is not new and some folks have no idea what it can do with modern bullets and powders.
You can shoot .45-70 ammo int too, which is a handy thing.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Look on ammoguide.com for the ballistics. Very big medicine. Of course easy to load mild if ya want. 500+ grains is a hard hitter even at a puny 1000 fps, which would probably have reasonably mild recoil from that gun.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I by passed the 475 turnbull for a 50-110 in and 86 and bypassed the 470 turnbull for a 50 alakan in the marlin.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Interesting cartridge for sure. I've always liked the .475 caliber for no particular reason other than it's bigger than .460.

The big flat point on those bullets looks like it would be a hammer, although my experience has been that more velocity in a poor BC bullet is kinda pointless, I would opt for heavier bullets at lower velocities, and anything under 500gr just seems like not using the potential. In a higher BC lighter weight soft point you could get some serious range.

Otherwise the 50-110 that its based on seems to have more power available due to getting heavier bullets in the case, and I really don't think it can do anything a 45-70 won't do. I always wanted to see something in the 700gr range from a lever gun. At 1300-1500 fps it would do anything you wanted it to.

However Mr Turnbull seems to have found a market and people like his work so I say buy it if you think it's something you want to play with. I'm sure you wouldn't lose any money on it as Turnbull makes some really high quality guns.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30