Wooden (etc.) bullets...?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Wooden (etc.) bullets...?

Post by AJMD429 »

The rising prices of lead (and probable legislation restricting 'stockpiling' of lead or banning it at some point except for LEO's or 'registered reloaders') got me thinking outside the box.

Has anyone ever tried to load other projectiles...?

I've seen WOOD bulleted 'practice ammo' in military loadings.
I know Barnes sells solid copper bullets (maybe I'll buy some solid ground rods if they still make them!)
How about steel in a sabot of copper or plastic? (of course the antis would hysterically call them 'armor piercing')
How about ROCKS :shock: I plan on putting some pea gravel in plastic sabots sometime and shooting them to see how they 'group' The shape probably sucks ballistically, but even then - what if you coated them in shaped plastic cases?

These are things you couldn't do as easily with bottleneck cartridges, due to smaller dimensions, pickier powder selections, etc., and things not likely to work in semiautos (maybe those wood ones cycle AK's though), so maybe the leverguns will win out in the end since they are generally large-bore repeaters.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

This has been tried before!!!

These are from pre-1890 years,
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Sabots would be simple and adaptable. A solid copper hollow-point , I believe, would work pretty good.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Big Bore 94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Big Bore 94 »

I had a chance to fire a bit of West German 7.62 w/ blue plastic projectiles in an HK. It was a hoot. I was hitting targets when I fired. Marksmanship was kind of lacking in the German armee. They kept getting more upset. Then in a show of sportsmanship they took back their toys. Then refused my pleads, begging, and bartering for some more range time. I would SWAG 100 meters to be the maximum effective range.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

I recall an article from 25+ years back where they fired full sized (but obviously under weight) wooden bullets from a 44 mag revolver at 4,000+fps. Bet that would sting......at least inside 25 yds.

DO NOT use ground rod for anything going down a barrel. They are not made of copper, but low grade steel rod that has been copper plated to conduct the juice.

Forget home made copper bullets also. Copper hit $4.00 a pound today. That means any rod that you might want to use will be ~$7.00/lb for small quantities, maybe $6.00/lb if you want to buy 2 tons.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Turned BRASS rod works well... and is, in fact, used quite frequently by the Long Range 50BMG crowd...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

We use em for knocking down hard plastic silhouettes. You can see them come out of the barrel, and they tumble and are not accurate past 50 yards, but they are fun, particularly on FA. :D
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I had a shop teacher that was telling me about the wooden bullets issued by the Kaiser in WWI. He said at first the Allies were terrified of them saying that they would be filled with thousands of splinters.

There was a thread going on one of the forums some time back about using your bullet moulds to make bullets out of a hot glue gun stick.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I like to make mine out of lead! :wink:
Harry O
Levergunner

Post by Harry O »

Old Time Hunter wrote:This has been tried before!!!

These are from pre-1890 years,
Old Time Hunter: Can you tell me anything more about the cartridges you posted? I have some 45-70's that are identical to that right down to the silver colored case. I have wondered what they are for.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Harry,

My understanding is that they were used by the company provisioners and fired out of their Trapdoor forager rifles, sometimes loaded with shot behind the wooden bullet. From what I read, they thought that by using the wood bullet, there would be something left of the rabbit for dinner.
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

I've taken a few wooden nickels, but never shot any wooden bullets.
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

Old Time Hunter wrote:Harry,

My understanding is that they were used by the company provisioners and fired out of their Trapdoor forager rifles, sometimes loaded with shot behind the wooden bullet. From what I read, they thought that by using the wood bullet, there would be something left of the rabbit for dinner.
Years ago, I had a box of those wooden bullets, not loaded into any cases and filled them with #8 drop shot and poored wax over the shot and they worked good. Only problem is that I later learned that those bullets were significatly hard to find expecially in the original 1887 box. Unfortunately, I only have 2 left.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

I'm wondering if some sort of composite, non-metal will be the future of bullets. They can do some amazing stuff with carbon.
My first attempt at an outdoors website: http://www.diyballistics.com