The .444 is back.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

The .444 is back.

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I see in GunWorld magazine that the Marlin/Remington .444 is back. The one in the photos looks pretty nice. The writer reported a heavy trigger pull and stiff action that was made much better with use.
May be worth a look see. :D
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Re: The .444 is back.

Post by Buck Elliott »

(...yawn.....)
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

That is one caliber I haven't seen on the used rack for a long time. There will be people looking to buy one because used ones aren't that common.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Buck Elliott wrote:(...yawn.....)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Griff wrote:
I really like my old Micro Groove .444.... If I only wanted one centerfire hunting rifle, and it had to be a lever, that would be it.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I wasn't aware it had gone anywhere . Not that I'd have any intention of purchasing a new one !!
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I'm glad I culled my stable down before this was announced . That way I got maximum profit on my investments .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Stiff action and a crummy trigger is nothing new . They were like that from the Marlin factory in Conn.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

6pt-sika wrote:Stiff action and a crummy trigger is nothing new . They were like that from the Marlin factory in Conn.
After 20 years they start to be pretty good.....Mine is over 40 and smooth as silk....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BlaineG wrote:
Griff wrote:
I really like my old Micro Groove .444.... If I only wanted one centerfire hunting rifle, and it had to be a lever, that would be it.
Same Here. Not much needs done where I live that a 444 can't do very well. Until grizzlies start living in Indiana, I think I can do ok 'stepping down' from 45-70, and I do like the common caliber with my 44 Mags. Shoots plenty 'flat' for my neck of the woods, without risk of an over-the-horizon bad shot going a mile or two. Puts stuff down faster than my 30-30 or 35 Rem.
BlaineG wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:Stiff action and a crummy trigger is nothing new . They were like that from the Marlin factory in Conn.
After 20 years they start to be pretty good.....Mine is over 40 and smooth as silk....
Yep... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

BlaineG wrote:
Griff wrote:
+1

The only thing I don't like about my 444 is that I waited so long to buy one and missed out all those years! :lol:
NRA Life Member
Dan 444
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dan 444 »

BlaineG wrote:
Griff wrote:
+1.
Dan
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Of all the Marlin's I've owned the four square bolt 1895's I had were like hot butter when you worked the lever . But all four of them are 100+ years old .

Those 336SC's I was wound up on for awhile were very smooth , but when I got them they were all 50 years old . All of the Pre 1976 444's I had or have were smooth . Same can be said for the 336T's in 44 MAG I had .

Of my remaining 444's the 1966 and 1967 are smooth as all get out even though both have been reblued atleast once . My 2001 444SS is getting there but I doubt if it's been fired more then 400 or so times by me and it was used when I bought it although it was like new and a wee bit stiff when I first got it .
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

The .444 has always struck my fancy. If I could find one with a straight stock at the right price, I'd break my rule of not adding yet another caliber to feed to the stable! :D
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

.444 is a neat cartridge, however I got rid of mine simply because it didn't do anything my 45-70 couldn't do, except kick harder, and the 45-70 can do a lot it can't.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

sore shoulder wrote:.444 is a neat cartridge, however I got rid of mine simply because it didn't do anything my 45-70 couldn't do, except kick harder, and the 45-70 can do a lot it can't.
I only have 1 45-70 left....A 525 @ 1400 fps (Grizz's Load) should suffice. @ 12lbs, I won't feel a thing....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ysabel Kid wrote:The .444 has always struck my fancy. If I could find one with a straight stock at the right price, I'd break my rule of not adding yet another caliber to feed to the stable! :D
That's what I liked - it was the same caliber as my 44 Mag, and on occasion I use the same bullets; can't do that with a 45 Colt and 45-70 (and I know that most of the time there is no real good reason to do that).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Wow, this could easily go off into a .444 (well actually .429, but whose counting) versus 45-70 (well actually .452, :mrgreen: ) but I will resist, I will resist, I will resist. Oops, I guess I'm not a strong willed as I thought.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

jeepnik wrote:Wow, this could easily go off into a .444 (well actually .429, but whose counting) versus 45-70 (well actually .452, :mrgreen: ) but I will resist, I will resist, I will resist. Oops, I guess I'm not a strong willed as I thought.
Uh Jeep, that would 0.459
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Grizz wrote:
jeepnik wrote:Wow, this could easily go off into a .444 (well actually .429, but whose counting) versus 45-70 (well actually .452, :mrgreen: ) but I will resist, I will resist, I will resist. Oops, I guess I'm not a strong willed as I thought.
.460 if you're doing it right. :lol:
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

The finest Canadian moose rifle was always destined to come back! With a 265 Hornady FN it is a truly amazing rifle cartridge combo. Other loads add some icing to a fine cake. 45-70 snore! :twisted: The 444 was the reason big bore levers made a comeback.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

6pt-sika made a reference to the year 1976 with regards to Marlins. Did they make some kind of internal changes then?
Win94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Win94 »

My 72 vintage:

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne -
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

kaschi wrote:6pt-sika made a reference to the year 1976 with regards to Marlins. Did they make some kind of internal changes then?

Up until 1976 the majority of the 444's had barrel bands .

From 1964-1972 they made the version that had a 24" barrel , straight grip monte carlo stock and barrel bands . From 1971 to 1975 they made a version that was similar with a 22" pistol grip stock that also had barrel bands .

They all had 1-38 twist micro groove barrels . And they just happened to be my preferred age range 1964-1975 for 444's !

I think when all was said and done I owned about 24 or 25 of the 444's that were made from 1964 to 1975 .
Jahrs
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jahrs »

If I had to choose only one lever gun, it would be my 1970 444. :-)

1894c

Post by 1894c »

ok...that made my day...you're a bad man Buck... :)
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

That may explain some of the issues you have with your 45-70 :evil:
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

sore shoulder wrote:
Grizz wrote:
"What did you shoot him with?"
"Oh a 38, 39.....whatever it took". - Teri Garr's character in Mr. Mom
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

sore shoulder wrote:
Grizz wrote:
Yep, my bad. I was thinking of that other round from 1873
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Never owned one but looked them up on the web. I see that some of 'em were made with Ballard style rifling and other with Micro-grove rifling. According to some of the people out in the 'ether (esp Marlin forum) it seems that really no difference in accuracy/shooting either of them if using factory ammo. However, if reloading using cast boolits the common opinion is that the micro-grove rifling is better, especially if using slightly larger diameters.
Would those who have 'em agree with this?

What about the Winchester versions of the 444? Same opinion?
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Micro groove rifling will shoot cast bullets just fine but it is more difficult to find an accurate and non leading load combination than when the gun has the Ballard style rifling. I own and shoot both types and prefer the Ballard style rifling. The newer rifles with Ballard style rifling also have faster twist rifling to stabilize heavier bullets.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

On Marshall Stanton's site are 3 articles he published on the 444 work he has done. He has groups you can cover with a dime. Well worth the time to read them.

The thing that kept me from developing 444 was the slo-twist rate. There is a guy in the big bore section of Marshall's forum that has souped up the 444 to amazing levels, Marshall made a bullet for that rifle and the performance is stunning.

I would not shoot that gun, I don't like being stunned.

This is the only guy to ever take my 405 gr redhawk load seriously. He has it running about 1030 from his redhawks, and it penetrates 13 one-gallon jugs of water, one gallon more than my PileDriver load.

stunning performance I'd say, for a .43 . . . :roll:
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

My 444 does well for sambar down here.
Just wish I could find another in the timber carbine 94 :twisted:
A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

BlaineG wrote:Mine is over 40 and smooth as silk....
Mine (acquired used) isn't quite that old, but it is one of the smoothest lever guns I've tried. It's fairly versatile: Trail Boss turns it into a .44-40; H4198 lets you bruise your shoulder.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Have the BigBore 94 model. A LOT of power in a 6.5 lb. gun. More than enough power for any North American game out to 200 yards. That pretty much covers 90% of hunting situations all in a 7 shot, lightening fast handling gun. Not bad for a 50 yr. old cartridge and 120 yr. old rifle design. :D
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

I once thought I wanted a .444 about 20 years ago, but then I got a genuine Marlin 1895 in 45-70 and decided I did not need a .444. And I have never regretted it. God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

When your lever gun collection passes the 25 or 30 mark, one of them needs to be a .444 ,just for the fun of it. Until then, the .45-70 will do. :D