Vintage box of .32 WCF (.32-20) cartridges.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Vintage box of .32 WCF (.32-20) cartridges.

Post by cshold »

"This box of .32 WCF (.32-20) cartridges sports a label that indicates it is most likely one of the earliest boxes produced by WRA Co in this caliber. What distinguishes it from the run-of-the-mill green label boxes is the lack of a head stamp on the cartridge illustrated on the label. The .32 WCF was introduced by Winchester for their Model 1873 rifle in 1882; it is likely that this box was made about that time. Another difference between the cartridge on this label and later box labels in this caliber is the shape of the head, this one having a significant bevel at the rim, while later boxes show a flat head. Unlike the illustration, the cartridges in the box are pretty ordinary, having flat heads with the W.R.A.Co. .32 W.C.F. head stamp."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Vintage box of .32 WCF (.32-20) cartridges.

Post by Griff »

Would be later, due to the notation on the right side of the pictured cartridge which reads: "Solid Head"... ISTR that until the 1880s all cartridges were balloon heads. The only date I could quickly find was this patent application for a "rimless solid head cartridge case dated 1897: http://www.google.com/patents/USD26677.

I also found this: http://www.oldammo.com/february04.htm, which states in part:
This box of Winchester unheadstamped solid head .44-40 primed shells was made sometime after 1880, when the company began producing solid head cases, and before about 1884, when they began headstamping their centerfire rifle and pistol cartridges.
That would indicate that your box was produced after 1884 if those are the original cartridges in it. Always a questionable assumption if not sealed. :)
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Is it a full box? if it's only a partial box you could pull a bullet and see if the cases are loaded with black powder. If it's black that should date them to before the early 1890s when they switched to smokeless powders.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

casatahle,
The "Central Fire" callout on the box dates the box between 1882 & 1898. After 1898, it was changed to "Center Fire"
(Source: Book - 100 Years Of Winchester Cartridge Boxes 1856 - 1956)

Griff,
For future reference, solid head cases were balloon head cases that were no longer two piece construction.
If you refer to the link you provided and scroll down to the larger pic of the two cartridges, the solid head B H case (aka SHBP) is on the left and the 2 piece folded head B H case is on the right.

SHBP (Solid Head Button Pocket) cases were actually used for smokeless cartridges that started life as b.p. cartridges up until the 1950's when the button pocket was eliminated.

gundownunder,
Since the box does not indicate "Smokeless" the cartridges are black powder. Factories did load black powder cartridges along with smokeless up until the 1930's after which the b.p. ammunition was discontinued.

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Thanks John 8)
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Interesting!!

Brad
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

casastahle wrote:Thanks John 8)
+1. As usual, went for the quick answer... Thanks.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

I thought they switched from one to the other.

One thing is for certain. On this site you never stop learning
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.