OK - one MORE reason to buy a Para Ordnance...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

OK - one MORE reason to buy a Para Ordnance...

Post by AJMD429 »

...aside from the fact that they are 1911's, and use 14 to 20 round magazines.
[b]Para USA[/b] wrote:"PARA USA regrets its decision to provide firearms for use in the film "Taken 3." While the film itself is entertaining, comments made by its Irish-born star during press junkets reflect a cultural and factual ignorance that undermines support of the Second Amendment and American liberties. We will no longer provide firearms for use in films starring Liam Neeson and ask that our friends and partners in Hollywood refrain from associating our brand and products with his projects. Further, we encourage our partners and friends in the firearms industry to do the same."
Read more at http://freedomoutpost.com/2015/01/firea ... ollyweird/
They pretty much told Liam Neeson to 'shove it'... 8) :lol:

I hope their buddies at Colt, Beretta, Kimber, and all the others have the balls to do the same thing.

(Neeson's the one who said "There's too many [expletive] guns out there. Especially in America. I think the population is like, 320 million? There's over 300 million guns. Privately owned, in America. I think it's a [expletive] disgrace. Every week now we're picking up a newspaper and seeing, 'Yet another few kids have been killed in schools.'"

http://freedomoutpost.com/2015/01/liam- ... n-control/

Besides, what is better than a double-stack 1911... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
cas
Senior Levergunner

Re: OK - one MORE reason to buy a Para Ordnance...

Post by cas »

A single stack 1911, which is to say... a 1911.
Slow is just slow.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Good on them. I appreciate when a company has the Ba77s to stand up for something like this. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

fordwannabe wrote:Good on them. I appreciate when a company has the Ba77s to stand up for something like this. Tom
+ 1.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I could be seriously tempted if I could put a "pistol stabilizing brace" on it . . . :D
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I doubt Neeson is overly concerned--- plenty of other gun makers out there
----- Doug
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Streetstar wrote:I doubt Neeson is overly concerned--- plenty of other gun makers out there
I think he should test his assertion by breaking into as many houses as he can, at night, with his movie weapon. I think he should start in Vermont and then move on to Florida. Let him certify and authenticate his proposition.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

As a new convert to double stack .45s, (sig227), I agree that the double stack is an improvement to the single stack. As far as Liam is concerned, I'm disappointed by his comments, especially as it seems to bad mouth a country that adopted him from his native land. BUT, he has a right to the duplicity of his roles and his feelings on private gun ownership, voicing his expletive filled feelings through the first amendment rights. Good on Para Ordnance for speaking up on their own behalf as well as for the 2nd amendment. As a vet, I struggle most with those whose opinions and actions differ so greatly from mine, BUT, the reason I served was that I believed in the constitution and the rights expressed there. I disagree with those who oppose any or all amendments to the constitution. I disagree with those who would silence our freedoms, who would disarm us. I also disagree with Row vs Wade rulings and oppose those in favor of it. But in that I'm in the minority. I served to support the process however and though I can use the 1rst amendment to voice opposition, and use the process to fight for its repeal, I am stuck with that ruling until it is overturned.

I will not see his 3rd movie in the taken series or any other movie he is in. I have. Done the same with Jane Fonda movies, tom cruise movies and a few others.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

We need also to keep in mind that individuals like Neeson don't want you to possess weapons for self defense (or for any other reason for that matter). But I'll bet he and the rest of his Hollywood ilk either keep a gun for self protection or have an armed body guard.........Hypocrites just blow my mind.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Makes me feel kind of bad now........I nearly ordered a single stack, commander sized 1911 from Para and at the last minute opted for the Ruger SR45 because I reasoned I was getting too set in my ways (revolvers and 1911 make up nearly all my handguns) and I should try something different.

Oh well......this can be corrected with a little over time and a second trip to the gun store.

Wm
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

America: 320 million people, and 300 million guns. Only 20 million more to go... :wink:
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I know how many guns are in my house.....so several dozen people are slackers.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

octagon wrote:America: 320 million people, and 300 million guns. Only 20 million more to go... :wink:
That's only an average of one per person....take us here on leverguns, our families, friends, and fellow church members, and we account for a bunch who don't evidently have ANY guns.... :(
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

AJMD429 wrote:
octagon wrote:America: 320 million people, and 300 million guns. Only 20 million more to go... :wink:
That's only an average of one per person....take us here on leverguns, our families, friends, and fellow church members, and we account for a bunch who don't evidently have ANY guns.... :(
Or a small city's worth anyway! :D

I love Para's 1911's. I have long fingers so the extra girth on the grip doesn't bother me one iota. Was considering a Commander-length 1911, and looking at a Para. Will be one for sure now!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I need to look at a Para the next time I am at a Gun Show. Liam Neeson is allowed to have his opinion, but I am allowed to have my opinion, too. My opinion is that he stupidly stuck his foot in his mouth. Remember when Mel Gibson was a big box office draw and then he insulted gun owners and the NRA? His movies have not done well since.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

rjohns94 wrote:As a new convert to double stack .45s, (sig227), I agree that the double stack is an improvement to the single stack. As far as Liam is concerned, I'm disappointed by his comments, especially as it seems to bad mouth a country that adopted him from his native land. BUT, he has a right to the duplicity of his roles and his feelings on private gun ownership, voicing his expletive filled feelings through the first amendment rights. Good on Para Ordnance for speaking up on their own behalf as well as for the 2nd amendment. As a vet, I struggle most with those whose opinions and actions differ so greatly from mine, BUT, the reason I served was that I believed in the constitution and the rights expressed there. I disagree with those who oppose any or all amendments to the constitution. I disagree with those who would silence our freedoms, who would disarm us. I also disagree with Row vs Wade rulings and oppose those in favor of it. But in that I'm in the minority. I served to support the process however and though I can use the 1rst amendment to voice opposition, and use the process to fight for its repeal, I am stuck with that ruling until it is overturned.

I will not see his 3rd movie in the taken series or any other movie he is in. I have. Done the same with Jane Fonda movies, tom cruise movies and a few others.

Well said, on ALL points. If you are in the minority, I stand there with you.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Hey Doc, just how much fatter is the grip on your para compared to a single stack 1911?
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

UncleBuck wrote:Hey Doc, just how much fatter is the grip on your para compared to a single stack 1911?
Ysabel Kid wrote:I love Para's 1911's. I have long fingers so the extra girth on the grip doesn't bother me one iota. Was considering a Commander-length 1911, and looking at a Para. Will be one for sure now!
What YK said. I wear size 7 or 7-1/2 gloves ('surgical' ones) and 'large' ones from the hardware store, and would say my fingers are long and skinny. I need the extra (upper) girth of a Bisley on a single action Ruger to keep the gun from hitting my knuckles with the trigger guard, and all I know is:

When I first picked up a P-14 (which I still have 25 years or so later), I assumed it was a 1911 (looks just like one) that was in 9mm (since it had a double stack magazine, and all the single-stacks I'd seen were 45 acp and all the full-size 9mms were double-stack). The guy at the gun show said "no, it's a 45 ACP", and my jaw dropped. For MY hands, a regular 1911 grip is too flat and too small - feels like I'm holding a deck of cards or something, yet the P-14 grip is perfect.

Quite honestly, even if they were only 7 shot firearms, I'd prefer the larger grip. . . having twice the capacity just makes it all the mo-betta... 8) My P-14 (older model, aluminum frame, black 'painted' slide, only modification an extended thumb safety) functions VERY reliably with Remington Golden Sabre JHP's, whether using the older 14 round magazines, the newer 15 round ones (thicker buttplate), or the 1-1/2" protruding 20-rounders.

Now I just have to practice so I can hit the broad side of the barn at least half the time... :oops:

I also have a P-12 (not made any more, but 'Officer Model' in a double-stack) that I like, but seldom need a more concealable firearm than the fullsize P-14), and it seems reliable but hasn't had as many rounds through it (maybe 800 vs. 4,000). It is of course lighter and more compact.

The third 'double-stack 45' is a Rock Island Armory P-14 clone, and it too seems reliable, but I've probably only put a couple hundred rounds through it; I just bought it as a 'spare' because it was used and I couldn't pass it up at the low price being asked. It is STEEL framed, though, and loaded with 15 rounds it is VERY heavy (kicks less, but the aluminum frame version is pretty tame anyway, and I think the aluminum one weighs in about the same loaded with 15 as the single-stack steel ones do loaded with 7).

They change offerings periodically due to fluctuating demand, but they make a variety of frame sizes and materials. I really like their black-finished-stainless models they now have... < drool > ...but have to wait awhile before any new toys (might get paid next month though, so things could be on the mend 8) ).

I used to have (wish I'd kept it) a stainless P-14 "LDA" which is their 'light double action', and boy did it have a SWEET trigger. I got it to see if I liked carrying hammer-down but chambered, and I admit I liked that better, and that model has the SAME trigger pull (DA) every time, so was easy to get used to. Back then they had spur hammers, so you could cock them, and I think you weren't supposed to, because I notice now they are flat non-manually-cockable ones. I sold it because I needed the money, and found I preferred the simplicity of the 1911 SA design.

Having said that, I also sold a Glock 22 for the same reason - so many sheet-metal parts inside, vs the beefy ones of a 1911.

However, since then I've seen that Glocks kinda keep shooting no matter what, so the design must work, and that they may be less finniky about ammo than 1911's [ :( ]. Maybe the LDA's were similar in reliability and mine sure was pretty and fun to shoot, but they no longer make the LDA in fullsize configuration that I can see, and used ones in nice shape run a grand or more.

So my next 'gun' may just be spoiling my good old P-14 with a fancy finish from 7.62 Precision's shop. It deserves it.

GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Tanks :wink:
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I just measured the grip diameter, around the grip safety but above the bottom flare of it:

My stainless Government Model 1911 single-stack with Pachmayr grips has a girth of 5.62" vs. 5.77" for the Para Ordnance double-stack... I doubt that 0.15" difference in circumference should be a deal breaker for most folks, and I am actually surprised it was such a small difference. Maybe it feels better because it is more oval shaped like a revolver grip instead of flat like a deck of cards.

Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

When I am at the range and I bring my Para that I put together on a frame years ago..5"slide ,compensated or put the 6" long slide on. I tell people I can have a loooong conversation with it :wink:

John
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

fordwannabe wrote:I know how many guns are in my house.....so several dozen people are slackers.
+1! 8) 8)

It's funny, on a recent query on the SASS Wire an Aussie asks if was some kind of requirement to bring "backup" guns to a SASS match... I chuckled... as I always do take at least one set of backups! And then I thought some more... golly I could outfit 5 shooters with pistols (as long as 2 of them like C&Bs), 7 shooters with shotguns (if two would use a '97 pump), and 6 shooters with rifles (if two would use .38 specials)! OBVIOUSLY, I need more guns! Heck, I even have back ups for all my "Side Match" guns...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Oh no - that would equate to 1 per person, and no way I can go back 37 years!!! :shock:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

AJMD429 wrote:
UncleBuck wrote:Hey Doc, just how much fatter is the grip on your para compared to a single stack 1911?
Ysabel Kid wrote:I love Para's 1911's. I have long fingers so the extra girth on the grip doesn't bother me one iota. Was considering a Commander-length 1911, and looking at a Para. Will be one for sure now!
When I first picked up a P-14 (which I still have 25 years or so later), I assumed it was a 1911 (looks just like one) that was in 9mm (since it had a double stack magazine, and all the single-stacks I'd seen were 45 acp and all the full-size 9mms were double-stack). The guy at the gun show said "no, it's a 45 ACP", and my jaw dropped. For MY hands, a regular 1911 grip is too flat and too small - feels like I'm holding a deck of cards or something, yet the P-14 grip is perfect.
+1. The double-stack 1911 design is a lot more comfortable for me as well! :D
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

AJMD429 wrote:
I also have a P-12 (not made any more, but 'Officer Model' in a double-stack) that I like, but seldom need a more concealable firearm than the fullsize P-14), and it seems reliable but hasn't had as many rounds through it (maybe 800 vs. 4,000). It is of course lighter and more compact.
The P12.45 is my primary carry gun. If I need more than 25 rounds of .45 ACP (12+1 in the gun plus another full mag), I'm in a world of hurt! :shock:

Down south though, when it gets hot and humid, I do need to go smaller still. Darn challenging to carry anything when in shorts and a t-shirt!