Yuma AZ gunshow report

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Yuma AZ gunshow report

Post by jnyork »

Little gunshow here this morning, was only in there for about 45 minutes and half of that BSing with members of our club. Anyway, 8 bucks to get in but only 5 for veterans, which I thought was a nice touch. Show was mainly black rifles and accessories, milsurp and accessories, handguns and accessories. Hardly anything else. Bottom has definitely fallen out of the AR market, all the AR's you might want at 600-700 NEW, down about a grand from maybe 18 months ago. Saw some junk .22 rimfire for 10-15 cents a round, nobody standing in line to buy it. Spent the 5 to get in the door and came home with the rest of my money, and figured I was way ahead. :D
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Yuma AZ gunshow report

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Sounds like a good day. You could fondle a few nice ones and not have to pay the piper. Were there any deals or levrguns at all?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Dave's guns in Alamorgordo, N.M. has plenty of .22LR ammo for ( old ) prices.
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

I didn't see it last time I was in there... could be I've forgotten to look after never seeing any for a couple years :lol:

A local store has some up here - $9 per 50 for Rem :shock: I used to pay that for 9mm
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

A local store has some up here - $9 per 50 for Rem :shock: I used to pay that for 9mm
Forget about the old days of ammo prices cause they're long gone and ain't never coming back. IMO 10-15 cent per round 22's are a deal. What you were able to purchase for $20 40 years ago now takes over $100. Just go to the grocery store. Good to see that AR's are back to reasonable pricing now. Good time for entrepreneur types to purchase a few for selling later on down the road or for just having an extra one around the homestead.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

Yeah, I understand inflation.

22's are still overpriced.

I used to buy 9mm for around $.18/round, maybe less for reloads, last time I bought some it was $.30 --- by that estimation, cheapie .22's should be back around $.04/round. It's still just brass, powder, and lead, like the 9mm I bought last month.

Could be those entrepreneurial guys are right and I'm wrong. But I'll throw my .22 rifles in the lake before I'll give those gouging ***'s a dime.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

UncleBuck wrote:
Forget about the old days of ammo prices cause they're long gone and ain't never coming back. IMO 10-15 cent per round 22's are a deal. What you were able to purchase for $20 40 years ago now takes over $100. Just go to the grocery store. Good to see that AR's are back to reasonable pricing now. Good time for entrepreneur types to purchase a few for selling later on down the road or for just having an extra one around the homestead.

You must have more expendable income than I do :!:
While I would agree that old ammo prices are mostly gone....Cabelas sells .22 ammo in 500 round bricks for 7 cents a round. Walmart sells 525 round boxes for 4 cents if you're in line when the truck gets there.

I bought 10 boxes of 9mm for $11 per box a couple months ago, and have seen it on sale for the same or less several times since then.
The price will come down when people stop hoarding. I'm already seeing people on FB realizing they need cash and trying to unload the ammo they hoarded at panic prices. Just 2 months go 22 mag was bringing 25 dollars a box, now the hoarder/scalpers are lucky to get 17, and that's if they can find someone who doesn't realize it's on the shelf again.

I have no problem with stocking up for the future, but I hate hoarders. They are the ones who escalated the panic prices.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

92&94

I stand corrected on the amount $100 would buy today compared to 1970. According to John Williams Shadowstats.com, $100 in January 1970 is worth $624.74 according to BLS data. And this figure is even higher according to his data, of which I am not currently a subscriber.

That is almost 6.25 times higher which means something that cost one $ dollar would cost $6.25. Unfortunately back in 1970 I was more interested in cars than shooting so I have no idea what a regular box of 22 long rifle shells would have cost. Perhaps someone else in the group can let me know the approximate cost? 25cents a box???
Add in the fact of supply and demand and this only exacerbates the situation. Supposedly, the ammo companies are going full out on making 22 shells. But where are they going? A favorite local gunshop (not a chain) owner told me he gets in boxes of 500 rounds sporadically and the last time he had some he sold them for $30.00 for 500. This is 6 cents a round, which is a steal. Ammoseek.com lists a few places where a box of 22 LR are going for 2.99 or 3.99 a box but only one box limit with most of the listings showing 10 cents per round.

Now don't take me the wrong way 'cause I'm not trying to be a smart alec or a pelosi, just trying to state some facts. I hope all the polecats that are trying to sell bricks for $50 and $75 dollars each have to eat 'em. Its like the old saying goes when dealing with a tradesman: I don't mind someone trying to make a living as long as he doesn't try to make it ALL off 'n me.

Before throwing all yer 22's in the lake, can I have first dibs on 'em?? :wink:
You must have more expendable income than I do :!:
I really doubt that my friend.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

Can't say much about 1970 prices, that's when I was born :lol:

There was some nasty inflation right around then. In college I had a 1970 Jeep that originally sold for $4k new. Within just a few years they cost $15k or more, better than $20k by the time I got to college. In that context, even the inflation we've seen the last 10 years or so has been mild.

Seems to me that $.04 to $.06 is about right for .22's based on current prices of other bulk ammo. Maybe one day it will drop back to 1990's levels, but I kinda doubt it.

You can have 'em before I head to the lake :lol: But that will only be the day when I can't buy ammo at the store, at which point rimfires will be pretty useless :mrgreen:
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Stingers were $4.00 dollars a box of fifty, wonderchester and remington were reasonalby priced and he had plenty.
92&94 stop by on your next trip.
The bane of all men................................................... you have to ask!!!!!!!!!!!!!!