Safest bet on new manufacture leverguns?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
nralover
Levergunner 2.0

Safest bet on new manufacture leverguns?

Post by nralover »

I know many would say Henry, but they are way too heavy for my purposes. That leaves Marlin, Rossi, and Mossberg. If you had to gamble on one, which provides the best chance to get a decent rifle? Not a showpiece, but a good deer getter...
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Re: Safest bet on new manufacture leverguns?

Post by gundownunder »

Don't buy any of them without personally inspecting the gun prior to paying. I've heard of dodgy stuff coming from all three of them.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

The Winchesters being made in Japan are really good, probably the best being made. I have several in different calibers and have had great results from them. I haven't heard anyone who isn't happy with them. You would have several caliber choices.
I have a Winchester 1886 45-90 that is just really very nice, well built and beautiful. Japan is doing a very good job building these for Winchester.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

They are ALL likely to work, but not guaranteed. Generally a cosmetic inspection (is the barrel screwed in too far or not enough, is there misfit of parts) will tell you a lot. Disassembly and a peek at the innards (burrs or other stuff) even more.

Most issues I've seen are ones I can fix in a few minutes with a file.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

I agree with what's been suggested. Go and handle them all and see what you like. In 2003 I was set on buying a winchester 30-30 for my first deer rifle, until I went to some gun stores and handled several. Couldn't make myself do it but was very impressed with the marlins so bought a 336C and have been very happy with the decision. But that was over a decade ago now so it's a different ball game. Of the ones you mentioned, I now personally prefer the Henry. The regular steel/round barrel version isn't as heavy and is very well made. Handled the mossburgs when they first came out and was very much unimpressed, but that could be different now also. Haven't handled the new winchesters but have heard nothing but good about them and they look very very nice. If the Rossi is an option then you shouldn't be turned off by a non-USA rifle.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

The newest of the new Marlins are looking pretty decent, it seems they have corrected some of their QC issues. At least the ones I've seen at my local shop.
NRA Life Member
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Coon fingered a Henry 3030 a couple of weeks ago at a local emporium and was impressed with its fit and finish. Action was nice and smooth.
But it WAS however pretty hefty.
If you wanted a Marlin, I would go with one of the pre-remington ones for sure.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

IMO, in no particular order, the no-brainer, safest bets (plural) are ANY levergun made by Miroku (Japan), which can be branded:

1) "Winchester" branded Winchester-type Models 1886/86 (.45-70), 1892/92 (.357, .44mag), 1894/94 (.30-30), 1895/95 (.270, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, .405 Win).

2) "Browning" branded Winchester-type Models 71, 1886/86 (.348, .45-70, .45-90 chamberings ).

3) Browning BLR (many modern & magnum chamberings from .243 & up).

Besides Miroku's, other rifles that should be considered are the Rossi Rio Grande (Brazil) .30-30 & .45-70, and the blued/round bbl Henry (USA) H009 .30-30 & H010 .45-70 - all weighing in @ about 7lbs.

FWIW, the Miroku guns exhibit craftmanship on the level of the old Winchester Custom Shop, at affordable (but not inexpensive) prices.

ALL Model 71/86/1886 guns are much heavier than guns chambered in other cartridges (BLR, M1892/92 & M1894/94), by 2-3lbs.

The M1895/95 falls somewhere in between weight-wise, as does the blued Henry .30-30's.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

What are you going to do with it? Is there a particular chambering that you desire? Those two questions need to be answered before I'd give you advice.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Buy them all. That's what I did but when comes down to it my choice is usually the Browning BLR. Especially the short action version in 243, 308, or 358. It's a Miroku unless you can find a used FN Belgian. Recently bought an 86 out of the classifieds here. Miroku carbine cut to 19" with receiver site. Might not need anything else, ever. 45-70 can do it all except CAS which I use an Uberti 73 in 44-40 for. I have a Rossi '92 in 44-40 that could probably do nearly anything a body needed with proper hand loads.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Pete44ru wrote:.

IMO, in no particular order, the no-brainer, safest bets (plural) are ANY levergun made by Miroku (Japan), which can be branded:

1) "Winchester" branded Winchester-type Models 1886/86 (.45-70), 1892/92 (.357, .44mag), 1894/94 (.30-30, 38-55!!), 1895/95 (.270, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, .405 Win).

2) "Browning" branded Winchester-type Models 71, 1886/86 (.348, .45-70, .45-90 chamberings ).

3) Browning BLR (many modern & magnum chamberings from .243 & up).

Besides Miroku's, other rifles that should be considered are the Rossi Rio Grande (Brazil) .30-30 & .45-70, and the blued/round bbl Henry (USA) H009 .30-30 & H010 .45-70 - all weighing in @ about 7lbs.

FWIW, the Miroku guns exhibit craftmanship on the level of the old Winchester Custom Shop, at affordable (but not inexpensive) prices.

ALL Model 71/86/1886 guns are much heavier than guns chambered in other cartridges (BLR, M1892/92 & M1894/94), by 2-3lbs.

The M1895/95 falls somewhere in between weight-wise, as does the blued Henry .30-30's.

arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Post by arjunky »

New old pre-64 94. Preferably pre-war. There still around. :D

Byron
superchicken
Levergunner 2.0

Post by superchicken »

I agree with Buck about the Henry's being nice. The brass framed ones are HEAVY, and in my opinion rather gaudy. Just not my thing. I like the iron framed versions and don't find them to be that heavy in the rifle caliber offerings, particularly in the 45-70 version. My only complaint about them is the tube-feed thing (which I think I could get used to). They are also a bit pricier than Marlins, but seem to be much better quality than what Cerberus has been putting out in recent years.

As for the Japanese-made Winnies and Brownings, they appear to be good quality but I don't like the tang safety and rebounding hammer. I've read that custom shops can resolve that, but they are already quite a bit pricier than the Henrys.

Marlins appear to be getting better, but I still have little faith in Cerberus and would not buy anything new without a very thorough once (twice) over. I really just do not what to give those people my money because of their business model and what they did to the folks who worked for them in Connecticut. Maybe that will change if someone else buys them, but it will take time to rebuild the trust.

Rossi makes dandy little 92's, that are reasonably priced have a few fixable issues. The Italian 92s I've handled have had internal issues (springs and feed rails) and cost twice what a Rossi does. I have no experience with the Rossi Rio Grandes other than handling one in a LGS. They seem to operate slickly.

Don't know squat about the Mossbergs. On the one with the AR stock, I wasn't sure whether to giggle or retch.

My choices... For rimfires, I like the Henrys and am planning on picking one up soon for my daughter. If I were getting a new levergun pistol caliber carbine, it would be a Rossi. For a 30-30, I'd punt and stick with the used market for a pre-safety Winnie 94. For new guns in the bigger bores, I'd probably go with the Henry 45-70 if I couldn't find a used Brownchester 1886 without the safety.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I will suggest one of the older commemorative Winchesters. Plenty of them around, many are still new in the box, and can be had for well under $1,000. No safety and no rebounding hammer. I have bought several over the years, (I shoot, not collect), in both .30-30 and .38-55 calibers and they all were reasonably accurate.
Two years ago, I bought a used Canadian Centennial full octagon 26" barrel .30-30 at a local shop for $400. It was obviously used, but not beat up, and had a really filthy bore. I gave it a good cleaning, added a tang sight, did a little trigger work, and occasionally use it for NRA Cowboy Rifle Silhouette shooting. Last match, I shot a 33/40 with it, tying for high score. Those commemoratives will shoot! :D

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

is the Henry 30-30 heavy for hauling through the woods , yes. But their 45-70 is very handy . The big bore lightens the barrel a lot .
The fit and finish of Henry's are very good. Now that they moved there center fire operations to Wisconsin. I think they will be offering more center fire models. I really wanted to go work for them and give them some good input. But they are an hour drive from my house, so I took a job closer to home. They have a very good frame to build on.If they just change some of the wood styling and their guns would be even more appealing.

So my eye is on Henry.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

superchicken wrote:I agree with Buck about the Henry's being nice. The brass framed ones are HEAVY, and in my opinion rather gaudy. Just not my thing. I like the iron framed versions and don't find them to be that heavy in the rifle caliber offerings, particularly in the 45-70 version. My only complaint about them is the tube-feed thing (which I think I could get used to).
I think that the tube feed magazine is great. SOOOO much easier to unload. Better than repeatedly chambering live rounds into the chamber with the hammer down OR diddling around with fat fingers trying to pry them out of the tiny little loading port
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Shasta wrote:I will suggest one of the older commemorative Winchesters. Plenty of them around, many are still new in the box, and can be had for well under $1,000. No safety and no rebounding hammer. I have bought several over the years, (I shoot, not collect), in both .30-30 and .38-55 calibers and they all were reasonably accurate.
Two years ago, I bought a used Canadian Centennial full octagon 26" barrel .30-30 at a local shop for $400. It was obviously used, but not beat up, and had a really filthy bore. I gave it a good cleaning, added a tang sight, did a little trigger work, and occasionally use it for NRA Cowboy Rifle Silhouette shooting. Last match, I shot a 33/40 with it, tying for high score. Those commemoratives will shoot! :D

SHASTA
Absolutely! You can still buy NIB Chief Crazy Horse 94s in .38-55 for 700 to 1000 dollars. Top eject. No rebounding hammer or safety. Made in 83 I think. And if you hand load, who needs a .375 with unobtainium brass?
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

USA made Henry Original all the way 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
superchicken
Levergunner 2.0

Post by superchicken »

FLINT wrote:
superchicken wrote:I agree with Buck about the Henry's being nice. The brass framed ones are HEAVY, and in my opinion rather gaudy. Just not my thing. I like the iron framed versions and don't find them to be that heavy in the rifle caliber offerings, particularly in the 45-70 version. My only complaint about them is the tube-feed thing (which I think I could get used to).
I think that the tube feed magazine is great. SOOOO much easier to unload. Better than repeatedly chambering live rounds into the chamber with the hammer down OR diddling around with fat fingers trying to pry them out of the tiny little loading port
I agree about the unloading, but my statement is more about the loading part. Being able to stick a cartridge through the side loading gate is just a levergun thang. Although, I'll admit my first non-BB-gun lever was a Marlin 39 (which I still have). Like I said, I can deal with it, but I think it would be great if Henry added the loading gate and kept the tube.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

nralover wrote:I know many would say Henry, but they are way too heavy for my purposes. That leaves Marlin, Rossi, and Mossberg. If you had to gamble on one, which provides the best chance to get a decent rifle? Not a showpiece, but a good deer getter...
I wouldn't consider any of them. There are too many good used original older Marlin's, Winchesters, Savages, and the modern Browning BLR to choose from. Go to the gun shows and look around, you're sure to find a nice older gun that would make a great deer gun. And the Browning 71's 86's and 95's were also good pre-lawyer-ed up pre-safety guns.

I like the looks of the later Jap Winchesters and I owned a few, but had some troubles with misfires after a while from the rebounding hammers on some of those models, especially the 86's, but they can be fixed by someone who knows what to do and has the skill and replacement parts.

As much as I love the tradition Winchesters, for a pure deer killer, you can't hardly beat an older steel framed Browning BLR with a 2 to 7 power scope on it in .308 Win. However it really benefits from a good trigger job, and shortening the butt stock by at least 1/2 and inch.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Good deer getter, pre-Rem 336 hopefully with a decent low range scope already attached in 30-30. The only models listed to avoid would be any Rem Marlins without a good inspection. Recent reports are improving but earlier reports turned me off.

If you choose a proper year post 64 94 with the proper pins and carrier a good rifle can be had with angle eject and no safeties and rebound hammers. If in the market for a pre-64 94 be sure to get one factory drilled and tapped for a receiver sight. You will be glad you did probably. I really like the Browning lever actions and would consider anyone chambered for deer or the BLR. Nice Savage 99s are available in later production for decent prices. As noted the ability to chamber 308 is a big real world plus.

One of the clone 92s or Marlin 1895 would make a good deer gun in 44 Magnum. Again favoring Marlin with a scope and Winchester without. Lots of folks eventually want a scope on their lever.

If weight worries you be aware octagon barrels, specially over 20", can add a surprising amount of weight to any lever gun. My little Winoku Winchester 92 is heavy with a 24" octagon 32-20 tube.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I'm not buying any of them unless I get them at a price I know I can turn them over and make a decent profit !

For myself I'd only buy pre 1979 Marlin's for using . For collecting I am more the Pre 1920 Marlin's and Pre 1930 Winchesters .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

nralover ,if I had to gamble on one of the three you have left to pick from. It would be a used 50s through 70s Marlin . Although I am a Winchester man ,I would bout Guaranty that it will Not Let You Down! ,,,DT
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

For a Rimfire, I'd go with a Ruger 96/22 in 22 LR, 22 WMR, or 17 HMR. If you get the 22 LR version, you can easily replace the barrel with an integrally-suppressed one, for quiet, accurate, short-lever-throw fun. 8) My second choice would be a Henry (they are slick and more 'traditional' looking). I find the Marlin 39a to be too 'gangly' for a 22 LR; although I like the looks of the Win 94/22, but I've never handled one.

For a pistol-caliber, I've found both Rossi and Marlin to be fine, but mine are all pre-Remlin era; the Marlins cost more but have the advantage of fewer parts that are more easily replaced, and is way easier to mount a scope on. The 16" Rossi's are SO handy and compact (I have ones in 357 Mag, 44 Mag, 45 Colt, and 454 Casull), and the next closest is the little Marlin 1894 in 357 Mag. The 44 Mag Marlin 1894's (and 45 Colts if you can find them) are a good deal heavier (almost the size of a Guide Gun).

For the long-action leverguns, I only have one Winchester (AE 375), but I can sure see why people like 'em...! Marlins in 30-30, 35 Rem, 444 Marlin, & 45-70 are all nice guns, and have the same advantages of the 1894's in terms of just a few large easily replaced parts that are often similar between calibers/models, though.

Then there is the Big Horn Armory levergun - I'm betting they don't ship many 'lemons', if you don't mind paying what you'd pay for a rare vintage model or Turnbull custom...
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

One of the things one should consider with the Henrys, either the new styled Henry Repeating arms, the HRA or Uberti 1860 Henrys, is the fact that they are center-fire arms. None of them utilize the King's Patent loading system... and ergo, being centerfires, they need to loaded carefully, unlike a rimfire, you can't just drop one round on top of the one below it in the magazine. Several magazine detonations have occurred. Even a soft lead flat nose can deform and set off the primer.

I load my 1860 Henry with the rifle laid nearly flat, just enough of angle off horizontal to allow the cartridges to barely slide down the magazine, landing with very little impact. Then, in the 1860, you need to ease the follower down when the magazine is closed, so it doesn't slam into that top round. This is especially true the fewer cartridges you load in it.

Just like the originals, the Uberti Henry 1866, and other makers clones of the 1886 & 1892 do not have a trigger block safety... so an 'out-of-battery' discharge can occur. Necessitating care when chambering and firing.

I will say this... the Henry I got to shoot with 86er a year or so ago was a fine gun... well made and sturdy. This was the .30-30 with round 20" barrel, with a nice recoil pad. Weight wasn't too far off from the Marlin or Winchester 20" carbines. The octagon one, even tho' it was also 20" IIRC, was significantly heavier. If you weren't packin' it... it was fine off a bench... but for carrying it was more like cartin' around an '86!

But, still with all that said... without knowing what you want to use a levergun for... I won't make a recommendation.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
nralover
Levergunner 2.0

Post by nralover »

This will be a deer/woods loafer rifle. We get in the woods year round. I think I would put a peep on it, as I hunt the Ozark hills 90% of the time.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

nralover wrote:This will be a deer/woods loafer rifle. We get in the woods year round. I think I would put a peep on it, as I hunt the Ozark hills 90% of the time.
In that case, if ranges will be <125 yards, I'd go with a Marlin 1894, Winchester 1892 (or Rossi as the low cost alternative); in .357M, .44M or if, you handload. .45Colt. If >125, then I'd go with the Marlin 336 or Winchester 94 in .30-30 or .38-55. I just ain't familiar with the Rossi or Mossberg in the "rifle" cartridges.

As for "safest"? It's either the Marlin w/its crossbolt safety or the Winchester and its tang safety & rebounding hammer! :P :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

FWIW and just an aside :D ; The OP asked about the Marlin, Rossi, and Mossberg, for a deer rifle. How many replies address these three? :?: :?: :lol:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

mikld wrote:FWIW and just an aside :D ; The OP asked about the Marlin, Rossi, and Mossberg, for a deer rifle. How many replies address these three? :?: :?: :lol:
Those were the 3 he was aware of. Miroku is currently making leverguns under the Winchester brand. So does Pedersoli, Uberti...
I even saw a brand new Miroku/Winchester at Cabelas in Sidney, NE in a model 65.

But as always, on forums, if you ask where to buy the best steak, you will find out that you really wanted pork chops.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
1894c

Post by 1894c »

TedH wrote:The newest of the new Marlins are looking pretty decent, it seems they have corrected some of their QC issues. At least the ones I've seen at my local shop.
my experience too...the Marlin's that are being produced now aint' too bad... :)
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

vancelw wrote:
mikld wrote:FWIW and just an aside :D ; The OP asked about the Marlin, Rossi, and Mossberg, for a deer rifle. How many replies address these three? :?: :?: :lol:
Those were the 3 he was aware of. Miroku is currently making leverguns under the Winchester brand. So does Pedersoli, Uberti...I even saw a brand new Miroku/Winchester at Cabelas in Sidney, NE in a model 65.

But as always, on forums, if you ask where to buy the best steak, you will find out that you really wanted pork chops.
I tried to behave and not just say "Get a used Ruger 96/44 and go kill deer with it..." :lol:

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

AJMD429 wrote:
vancelw wrote:
Those were the 3 he was aware of. Miroku is currently making leverguns under the Winchester brand. So does Pedersoli, Uberti...I even saw a brand new Miroku/Winchester at Cabelas in Sidney, NE in a model 65.

I tried to behave and not just say "Get a used Ruger 96/44 and go kill deer with it..." :lol:
Talk about deep pockets!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

vancelw wrote:
AJMD429 wrote:I tried to behave and not just say "Get a used Ruger 96/44 and go kill deer with it..." :lol:
Talk about deep pockets!
Yeah, I guess they've done like the Winchester 88's and Marlin 62's, and gone from "goofy looking rifles nobody wants" to "vintage classics"... :roll: I didn't realize they weren't still selling on the used market for a few hundred bucks, until I just did a quick internet search. :shock:

I'm keeping mine, for sure; got it from a forum member a few years back (Stan in SC)

I did find one though - http://www.gunsamerica.com/947126044/Ru ... Magnum.htm

P.S. judging by the slippers in the picture, maybe it's Ysabel Kid selling it... :wink:

nralover
Levergunner 2.0

Post by nralover »

One of my local shops has a used 96/44 on the rack right now.