x

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

x

Post by Mich Hunter »

x
Last edited by Mich Hunter on Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Family Heirloom Saga--Can't seem to get my hands on it.

Post by jnyork »

Keep trying, don't give up.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

All he can do is say "No". Why not try?
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

You are not nuts. Most of us would do the same, if we could, to obtain a family heirloom like that.

Good luck!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Any idea what kind of rifle it is?
----- Doug
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

-

Post by Mich Hunter »

-
Last edited by Mich Hunter on Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Cool. Get it.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Do what you can. Good luck.
NRA Life Member
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I did something similar a few years ago. My brother in law had his dad's Remington 721 and he was sick. I wanted Rusty Jr. To have it and I knew if the brother in law died with it in his possession we'd never see it again. We paid a premium for it but we got it and don't regret paying double what it was worth.
I'd bet that if you called on the phone and talked to his wife, then told her the story and made her the offer she would put pressure on him in a way that you can't.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

OR POSSIBLY NOT PUT PRESSURE ON HIM IN A WAY ONLY A WIFE KNOWS. JUST SAYIN.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

"If you don't ask, 'they' can't say YES!"
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

fordwannabe wrote:OR POSSIBLY NOT PUT PRESSURE ON HIM IN A WAY ONLY A WIFE KNOWS. JUST SAYIN.
+1
Being a distant relative is a big plus in my mind.
Become friends, get to know him. the gun will come along in do time.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Mich Hunter wrote: ... my grandfather traded the gun to a distant relative ...
Sounds to me like it might be an heirloom in his branch of the family also.

Seeing how you've developed an obsession with obtaining it, perhaps he's just as obsessed with keeping it.

:idea:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Just a thought....most guys from Michigan would give their left leg for a guided hunt in Colorado..maybe even including license and permits...(ask me how I know..being originally from Michigan)..
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

If he's from Frankenmuth he probably sold it for meth long time ago.
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mich Hunter »

2571 wrote:If he's from Frankenmuth he probably sold it for meth long time ago.
Naw, Durand to be specific :mrgreen: Now if he was from Saginaw like I am, then I would agree
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I say "leave out the emotion and apply common sense".

Let me tell you something that may put it all in a proper perspective. As a child, back in the late fifties, early sixties, I remember my very wealthy (not rich....wealthy) uncle having this rifle hanging over the fireplace. As a child, I remember gawking at the rifle, full of emotion, wishing that someday that this rifle, or something like it would be mine. I always asked my dad, "Let's go over to Uncle Frank's house" and it was just to mesmerize myself over his old percussion cap lock.

As I aged and started to learn about guns, I was over my Uncle Franks and looked at the rifle. It was nothing more that a contract 1861 Civil War gun that was all beat up and probably would not even fire........junk.

(Remember now, no emotion :D ) First, you remember the rifle as a small caliber percussion. It obviously has seen plenty of use. Probably a beat up and rusted bore condition, non functioning, small time local gunsmith made rifle that has had 50 small repairs over it's lifetime......something that you see in a wooden barrel in an antique store for $25.

Forget it...it's an inanimate tool and is probably long gone. Never let a piece of metal rule over your overall happiness....unless......it's gold from the Third Reich. :D

Lesson one from an experienced gun trader/buyer/whatever........NEVER offer a large amount of cash for any gun........when you offer someone a thousand dollars for a gun, well, in his mind, it must be worth 5 thousand. Always approach with the attitude that, "it used to be the families gun and it would make me very happy to have it back in the family". Let THEM come up with a value. You always get more with a teaspoon of honey than you will with a cupful of vinegar.----6
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Gascozark
Levergunner

Post by Gascozark »

I have an heirloom situation of my own. My first cousin (6 months older, we are both mid-40's) has several guns that belonged to our grandfather and great-grandfather. There was a modest collection of guns that were split between the only 2 brothers (my father and my uncle). Fast forward to today, my brother and I have a few of the guns and my cousin has the remainder. It's a pretty even split on quantity. Here's my dilemma: my cousin has no biological children and short of surgical intervention, isn't going to have any. My brother and I both have children that will (prayers and fingers crossed nothing changes) appreciate these vintage firearms. I have offered to buy them at fair market value, but he says he's not interested in selling them right now. I explained how I'd really hate to see those guns get out of the family and would really appreciate getting the first opportunity to buy them if he ever changed his mind. He said he understood and would give me first dibs.

Now, in reality, who knows what will happen. My cousin has a girlfriend/fiancé with couple of young girls from a previous marriage. All parties involved have a pretty decent relationship. I hunt and fish some with my cousin. His girlfriend seems like a good gal with a good head on her shoulders. But in the end, who knows how things will end up. All I can do is remind him every so often that my offer to stands to let him know my interest remains and hope for the best. If we can keep the guns in the family, great. If not, they are just materialistic items that we can live without if necessary.

One of the guns in question is an 1893 Marlin takedown rifle in .30-30. It has a case colored receiver and tapered 24" octagon barrel. I'd really like to get my hands on it to take it deer hunting. It would be neat to be the fourth generation to take a deer with that rifle. I took my first wild turkey this past spring with great-grandfather's Model 12 Winchester (1924 manufacture). Hopefully, when he's ready, my son will take a turkey with it as well.

With all that said, Sixgun's advice is sound. Don't drive yourself crazy. It's just a rifle.
KiwiKev
Levergunner 2.0

Post by KiwiKev »

Sadly, too common an issue. Causes a lot of grief in families. Happened over Grandads and great Granddads military collections. Eldest son only had daughters who had no interest. Now lost.

This is where local social museums are a good thing. All the family can enjoy things.

My wife was given a bizarre set of artefacts from an elderly woman in England.

Her elderly aunt, who never married, gave them to her.

1. An engraved pocket watch from a married Admiral she had been having a relationship with but went their own ways.
2. Passports from the 20s and 30s
3. Train tickets from Canada, 1930s.

I tried tracking down relatives in England, sadly seemed to be the end of the line.

My wife wife thinks we will pass them on to a museum.

Good luck with those rifles.
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

If rifles and shotguns were only passed down from one generation to the next within a family, then there would be no market of old, used firearms and nothing to collect. Happily, they do "get lost" to the rest of public sometimes.

While I hope you connect with your lost relatives and maybe even end up with the sought after gun, perhaps it will make someone else happy one day. Someone you don't even know.

One day, perhaps not that far off, all my rifles will be on the open market. They do not make a huge collection but they are very nice, high-quality rifles and shotguns that I hope others will take afield and wonder about and use the heck out of - and then pass on to someone, anyone, else that will use them and appreciate them.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Ysabel Kid wrote:You are not nuts. Most of us would do the same, if we could, to obtain a family heirloom like that.

Good luck!
+1
It is not the critic who counts
1894c

Post by 1894c »

you're not nuts...it's worth a try... :)