Need some Winchester Model 71 advice

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

Something I always wanted:

I ran across a Winchester Model 71 today,it has a 4 digit serial number starting with 2, I think that would be a 30's rifle but not sure.
The bluing is worn in many places,no rust no pitting,no extra holes,screw heads are in good condition,it's NOT a carbine model,it's NOT a Deluxe model.....it has the factory bolt peep sight and the ,original deluxe sling swivels,,,,sling and sight hood....wood in not split or cracked anywhere, it looks like it was used for what it was made for "hunting"... bore is very good,the gun needs a really good cleaning.
They are asking 900.00 for it,I haven't tried to dicker them down any yet.
What is your opinion on that price?

Thanks and Have a Great New Year!!
Last edited by Mossyoak1957 on Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Need some Winchester Model 71 advice

Post by FLINT »

After looking at mod. 71s online for the last couple weeks, that sounds like a great price, especially with the bolt peep. I think you should snatch it up. If you don't like it, you can sell it to me. Dibs.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

JUST GO BUY IT NOW. YOU WONT LOOSE ANY MONEY ON IT IN THE CONDITION YOU DESCRIBED.....JUST DO IT. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: .
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

FWIWGWIC, the bolt peeps have a habit of shooting loose. The receiver peeps do not have that reputation.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

buy it
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Buy it , shoot the peep loose , tighten up the peep and sell it for a profit !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

The way they are made doesn't lend themselves to "tightening" them up easily or with any sort of permanence. Put a tang sight on it and never look back. k
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

BrentD wrote:The way they are made doesn't lend themselves to "tightening" them up easily or with any sort of permanence. Put a tang sight on it and never look back. k
Brent,
I have no idea who told you that but after playing with a dozen or so of bolt peep 71's over the years, I have never seen that....plus I have never seen a 71 that was factory d&t for a tang sight. Don't mean to sound "enlightened" but if Mossyoak has a buy like that, he ought to buy first.....and.....

By the way Mossy......where is this gun?........we do live close by! Ha......snag it bud..----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

BrentD

Post by BrentD »

Just what I've seen and others also. Maybe a fluke.

Sights are not everything.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

I've seen the sight sell for $800.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Hold it nice & tight against your shoulder... as they tend to be light with a good recoil.

Where's the range report? You did buy this, right? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :D :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

That's an incredible deal.

Grab that sucker and run for home. For all the 71's fame and lore, they just didn't make that many of them. It won't be long and they will be crazy money and hard for the average guy to justify.

That was your lucky day. :D
Last edited by OldWin on Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

Sixgun wrote:
BrentD wrote:The way they are made doesn't lend themselves to "tightening" them up easily or with any sort of permanence. Put a tang sight on it and never look back. k
Brent,
I have no idea who told you that but after playing with a dozen or so of bolt peep 71's over the years, I have never seen that....plus I have never seen a 71 that was factory d&t for a tang sight. Don't mean to sound "enlightened" but if Mossyoak has a buy like that, he ought to buy first.....and.....

By the way Mossy......where is this gun?........we do live close by! Ha......snag it bud..----6
Easy there 6............ :D
Last edited by Mossyoak1957 on Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

That's a nice find.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

I have only seen one 71 for $900. Just a plain Jane rifle. I still regret not getting that one. Pop the cap on that deal!
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

Mossy......
I have 2 71's with bolt peeps, never had a problem with them coming loose. The bolt peep is great
That is a FANTSTIC deal. Buy it before someone else does. I have 4 of them and I would give you $900 for that one and never look back. GO GET IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

Dare I say you won't soon find a second for that price!
Buy it now, shoot it whenever you like.
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein
65bee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 65bee »

I don't know where that B.S. about the Winchester bolt peep sights shooting loose started, but in over 50 years of owning and examining many, many 71s, I have NEVER seen one with a loose bolt peep. I sooner believe that there may have been issues with them being damaged easily, as they do sit up there pretty exposed, and I have seen several that have been damaged, and I think that is why there are many 71s around with the sights missing. As the forum members have said, grab it quick!
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

Just telling you about the rifle I have seen and held in my own hands.

The later receiver mounted sights don't have this problem and that is the only explanation I have ever heard for why they switched from bolt to receiver mount.

It's not that big a deal to me, but I would value a rifle with a receiver mounted sight slightly higher than one with a bolt mount. YMMV
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

I like the bolt-mounted peeps best, and have one rifle with one. They are streamlined, small, and elegant, and adjust easily for range. They are just cool, too.

The advantage is with the receiver sights, of course - they are not on a moving bolt, they are built a bit stronger, and if they break, the can be easily repaired or replaced.
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

Yes, the bolt sight certainly looks better. The receiver sight definitely detracts from the 71's lines.

I prefer tang sights to receiver sights but have never seen a 71 with a tang sight on it.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Hey Mossy,
Are you headed to the Leesport show tomorrow? Me and "The Gunny" will be there at 8:30. If you go just look for a weird looking guy. (Me) and my bodyguard, a big 6'2" yahoo Marine. (gunny)----6

Still tight after 78 years.

Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

Sixgun wrote:Hey Mossy,
Are you headed to the Leesport show tomorrow? Me and "The Gunny" will be there at 8:30. If you go just look for a weird looking guy. (Me) and my bodyguard, a big 6'2" yahoo Marine. (gunny)----6

Still tight after 78 years.
SIX............I have to work :(
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Mossyoak1957 wrote:
SIX............I have to work :(

Well, you better go to work......there's lots of extended hands out there waiting for their handouts! :D

It was a pretty good show....small...but a fair amount of good stuff. In addition to the entry fee and diesel for Gunny's monster 10,000 pound Ford truck, the only thing I spent was $7 on a book that tells me how to work on a model 63 Winchester.

Next weekend.......Lebanon.....BE THERE!------6

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

First Mossy if you buy that I might know somebody who would help you shoot it....BUDDY!
2. Are you going to leesport tomorrow?
3. Sixgun you have a PM.
Good luck with the 71 Mossyoak.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

fordwannabe wrote:First Mossy if you buy that I might know somebody who would help you shoot it....BUDDY!
2. Are you going to leesport tomorrow?
3. Sixgun you have a PM.
Good luck with the 71 Mossyoak.
Hey Ford,
The whole deal went south,was kinda PO'ed at first but I guess wasn't meant to be,on the bright side I found a sweet Savage 1899 take down that has my name all over it! 300 Savage Cal.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Tom you have a p m.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.