OT .22 Hornet Fox

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Gamekeeper Junior
Levergunner

OT .22 Hornet Fox

Post by Gamekeeper Junior »

Hi all,
I've enjoyed browsing the site for some time and have finally decided to join. I especially enjoy reading all your hunting stories so I thought i'd add one of my own.

I aquired a CZ 527 .22 Hornet off my ole man the other day so I decided to take it out after a fox.
I picked a spot in a patch of scrub on an embankment which looked promising and decided to sit and wait for a fox to come in. As it got near to dusk I started calling to try and bring one in.
After two and a half hours of waiting in the cold all i'd seen were some rabbits, a few pheasants and a couple of Roe deer which had come to within 20 yards of where I was sitting but no fox. By this time it was almost too dark to shoot with opens sights. I was about to give up when I looked to my left to see a fox about 80 yards away heading my way.
At about 60 yards he stopped so I took aim and squeezed off a shot which droped him where he stood.

I didn't have my camera with me so I took this picture the next day.

Sorry its not a levergun but the only one i've got isn't up to the job, a Daisy BB gun. Hopefully my Pa will get one with his 9422M soon.

Elliot
SPOILT by progress ;)
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Oh no! What will the Home Office think? We've corrupted another Brit! :wink:

It'll be an international incident I tell you. Beckky Peters from IANSA must be ripping her little UN loving heart out.

Good. :twisted:

Welcome aboard!
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

Love that CZ, really sharp.
Nice shooting! I guess that Hornet is a pretty good round.
Thanks for an excellent first post, and welcome aboard!
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Your dad has excellent taste in guns. Those are sweet little guns. I was looking at one of those myself . But decided to hold out for a marlin 94 in 218 bee.

Anyway , good shooting. The fox I shoot around here don't have teeth that long.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Welcome aboard! So game keeper's got a son. Who also shoots foxes. :D By the way, your rifle's got a lever on it, just sticking off to the side in the way instead of handily staying underneath. :shock: Those CZ's are good rifles, looks like you know how to use it properly too. And we look forward to hearing future installments on your hunting excursions. It's about the only chance I get to hunt anymore, vicariously through this and one other forum I infest. Thanks for sharing!
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Nice Fox..... :D

Can you shoot those Roe Deer during the year?
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Gamekeeper Junior
Levergunner

Thanks for the welcome!

It's a lovely rifle and I was pleased to get it. My dad had to get rid of it before he could get the 9422M because of our dumb regulations.

Homefront, judging from my experience so far the Hornet is a pretty good round, I hope to put it to the test some more this spring.

deerwhacker, we can shoot Roe Bucks from April through to the end of October and Does from November to Febuary but not with a .22 Hornet unfortunatly :evil: The minimum caliber for Roe deer in Engand is .240 or bigger. Smaller deer like Muntjak can be shot with .22 centrefire but again not with a Hornet because a minimum bullet weight of 50 grains has been imposed.
Thats pretty much killed the demand for them over here despite what a capable round it is.
Last edited by Gamekeeper Junior on Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SPOILT by progress ;)
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Gamekeeper Junior wrote:Smaller deer like Muntjak can be shot with .22 centrefire but again not with a Hornet because a minimum bullet weight of 50 grams has been imposed.
50 GRAMS? That's an awful heavy bullet... methinks you mistyped, I hope. It would be 50 grains, would it not? 50 grains would work out to about 3.5 grams or so... Anyway, that'd be a pretty heavy slug for a 22 hornet. Makes a good small game/varmint round though. I got a chance to run a bunch of ammo through one back in '06 helping to fireform to 22 K-Hornet. Funny, I don't recall what rifle it was, but it was nice and accurate. I was shooting the 90 meter turkeys in the leg with it and hitting them solidly. It's a sweet shooting round indeed.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

Gamekeeper Junior
Levergunner

AmBraCol wrote:
Gamekeeper Junior wrote:Smaller deer like Muntjak can be shot with .22 centrefire but again not with a Hornet because a minimum bullet weight of 50 grams has been imposed.
50 GRAMS? That's an awful heavy bullet... methinks you mistyped, I hope. It would be 50 grains, would it not? 50 grains would work out to about 3.5 grams or so... Anyway, that'd be a pretty heavy slug for a 22 hornet. Makes a good small game/varmint round though. I got a chance to run a bunch of ammo through one back in '06 helping to fireform to 22 K-Hornet. Funny, I don't recall what rifle it was, but it was nice and accurate. I was shooting the 90 meter turkeys in the leg with it and hitting them solidly. It's a sweet shooting round indeed.
Yep I meant 50 grains :oops:
SPOILT by progress ;)
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Gamekeeper Junior wrote:Yep I meant 50 grains :oops:
I figured as much. Looked it up and 50 grams runs in the 50 BMG range for weight. :D That'd be one heavy slug for deer sized critters. Don't worry, you'll have plenty of chances to catch me (and others) in slips. Most here probably wouldn't catch it as the gram is not a common unit of measure in the US of A...
Paul - in Pereira

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

OUTSTANDING!!!

And a Classy rifle!!

Keep it up!

jb
8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

welcome Gamekeeper Jr, enjoy the fire. Loved your post
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

Welcome to the forum, young man!
Dandy little rifle.
Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Glad to have you here. Now start working on moving across the pond, get an anchor baby and bring your daddy over! :wink: Yes, and bring those guns over here, too. :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
neil mitchell
Levergunner 1.0

Post by neil mitchell »

Welcome to the forum Junior.
I have a Ruger 77/.22 Hornet that I shoot 50 gr Hornadys out of and they are very accurate.I killed a whitetail doe last hunting season with it. I love the Hornet round.

Neil
NRA,Disabled Vietnam Veteran
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Welcome from the great white north. I too have a 22 hornet. A BRNO Fox model with double set triggers. I handload it with 35 grain Hornady Vmax and IMR 4227. Very accurate out to 200 yds, great on local groundhogs, but not the most pretty rifle. Minor detail if it shoots good.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Outstanding :D
Welcome aboard. Dont know how we are going to handle both you and your dad but we'll manage. :wink: :lol:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
GEOFF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GEOFF »

Gamekeeper Jr.

I enjoyed your post and you did a fine job of taking that fox down with open sights in low light conditions. Always appreciate your young eyes. I'm only in my 40's and my eyes are going downhill. I have a silhouette match this Saturday, if I do well I FEEL YOUNGER!!

I've also got a Hornet, a Ruger 77/22. I have the all weather version with the laminated stock. I carry it all the time in my Jeep and it is good for that but your Hornet is a much classier looking rifle. Enjoy the heck out of it!!!

I've got a 15 year old son. He did well in his high school baseball game tonight. Hope to have him shoot silhouette with me this summer. He got his first mule deer this last October, one shot kneeling, I was proud of him! I'll bet your dad is proud of you too.

All the best!

Geoff
95fan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 95fan »

Very nice, Congrats :D
A perfect day can only be achieved while hunting
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Nice Fox. :) Welcome aboard.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Welcome aboard GK Jr.! :D

A chip off the ol' block I see. Good for you!!! :D 8) :D
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Hobie wrote:Glad to have you here. Now start working on moving across the pond, get an anchor baby and bring your daddy over! :wink: Yes, and bring those guns over here, too. :lol:
My son is taking a Degree in Wild Life management and I would love it if he could get a job over there. Like me, he loved our vacation in Arizona and I know he's keen to see a lot more of your wonderful country!
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

Good shot. Have you ever considered handloading your own ammunition? I know that you can load a 50 grain bullet in the 22 Hornet case. Each firearm has it's own preferences but it may shoot very well out of your rifle.

I am sure that if one applies oneself you can get a job in most places. Speaking about jobs in wildlife, we need people with common sense and who have experience as outdoorsmen. We have too many desk jockeys in the system. In addition we're getting people who have been brainwashed by the anti hunting crowd in our fish and wildlife departments . It can be a tough profession to get into. Many young people want to get into this line of work so the competition is high.

What I would do is look at colleges and universities that offer a program that you're interested. I know the University of Maine has a good program. Generally state funded schools are less expensive than privately funded schools and if you maintain a high grade point average you will still be able to compete with others.
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

very nice rifle and welcome to the site. I also have a Hornet, it is the Ruger 77/22 - just a plain bolt with a blued barrel and wood stock - but it shoots fine. I also use mine to hunt fox back in the USA.

I hope your wish come true and you get your 9422 - they are excellent fun guns too.
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Well done!!!
I too like the looks of that rifle. 8)
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pop Watts »

Mate, I have a 22 Hornet made by BRNO a ZKW 465 manufactures in 1949. It is a great little rifle and the calibre is very popular here in Australia. One thing you could do is load some 50 grain projectiles into your Hornet. Over here the Hornet is used with 52-55 grain projectiles often and it is capeable of taking feral goats and small pigs easily with well placed shots. So load up and get amongst those little deer. I use the 35gn V-Max on foxes over here and they work great. Lovely little rifle you have there - keep up the good work. Pop.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I am impressed GKjr, sitting in the cold for so long (we are having a really cold spring) and nailing that leggy fox on opens at nearly dark, well done. Looks like you got him in the kisser by the bloody ear, was he facing you/checking you out?
I don't know the new regs for smaller deer for us but I do know that gun of yours will spin a 50grn just fine, that aside no body has ever asked me yet how heavy a bullet I'm using and what caliber, just don't blag about it :wink:
Pops took good care of that rifle too.
Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Nice shootin Junior,

And a beautiful rifle too. I've been thinking about getting one of those myself in .223. Ya gotta luv those Manlichers.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Gamekeeper Junior
Levergunner

Thanks for all the advice on loads and possitive comments.
I may well look into loading my own ammo soon as factory ammo is pretty expensive and limited.

I'm not sure on the current regulations either Nath but I know the rifle is up to the job.
The fox was broadside on and had no idea I was there. The shot hit just behind the shoulder and completely flattened him but he was still just about alive when I got to him, so I put another shot in his head to finish the job.

bigbore442001, I would love to come and work out in the states one day. I've got one year of my course left in England and then the job hunting begins. Maybe in the future I can be putting on a post about shooting Coyotes instead of foxes.
SPOILT by progress ;)
Rod WMG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rod WMG »

Pretty animal and very pretty rifle.
A man's heart devises [or schemes] his way, but the LORD directs his steps. Proverbs 16:9