Smith & Wesson 45 acp

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Smith & Wesson 45 acp

Post by hondo1892 »

Ok guy's if you haven't noticed yet I got the gun buying itch right now. I'm really trying to fight it off by posting on here but I may break before long. I went into a local pawn/gun shop today and in one of the display cases they had an older S&W 45 acp revolver with a 5-1/2 barrel I think. It was nickel plated and had fixed sights. It looked a lot like the 1917. Someone had removed the old grips and put newer target stocks on it. My question is the nickel plating original. The price seem nice if it has a nice bore. I may have to fall of the wagon and see if the guy will take less. If its not the 1917 what model would it be? I know it should be marked on the frame but like I said I'm trying to say no so I didn't lay my dirty little mits on it.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Smith & Wesson 45 acp

Post by Blaine »

I feel your pain..... :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

It sounds like either a commercial Model 1917 or the Model 22, made from 1950-64.

Nickle-plating has long been a S&W option - sans a S&W letter, the only other way I know of to tell if it's an aftermarket plating would be to inspect the stampings & sharp edges for rounding (poor buffing) and to look at the hammer (gennie nickle-plated guns had CCH hammers, not plated along with the rest of the gun).

jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

If it's a 1917 it should have the lanyard swivel and be marked "US Army Model 1917", on the bottom. Nickel plated was done long after it left the service......not factory. Here's what an original should look like. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =455747400

If it's a Model 25 it will look like this. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =456062828
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

I know it's not a mod 25 because the sight are fixed. Can't tell if it had a lanyard or not with the new grips. May be a model 22 though. I'll have to go back and look a little harder. I didn't notice if the hammer was plated or not. Thanks for the info.
superchicken
Levergunner 2.0

Post by superchicken »

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

FWIW , in the deep dark dusty corners of my failing memory I seem to remember that the lockwork in a 1917 doesn't have a hammer block like the newer S&Ws. When I was a LEO back in the 70's I was actually looking for a 1955 Target. An older officer told me of an incident where a deputy was headed thru a house after a suspect when the screen door slapped the hammer of his holstered 1917 causing it to discharge.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

If the sights are original, it's either a 1950 or 1955 Target model. If not, it's either an original 1917 or 1937 Brazilian version thereof that's been butchered.

You can do a serial # search and find out. If I can find my S&W book I will look for more info. I know it's buried around here somewhere.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

jeepnik wrote:If the sights are original, it's either a 1950 or 1955 Target model. If not, it's either an original 1917 or 1937 Brazilian version thereof that's been butchered.

You can do a serial # search and find out. If I can find my S&W book I will look for more info. I know it's buried around here somewhere.

The gun Hondo's looking at has fixed, not adjustable sights.

Last edited by Pete44ru on Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Okay, it's either an original 1917, a 1937 Brazilian contract, or a civilian model thereof. A photo would help.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Pictures, please!

One of the few guns I'm really interesting in buying anymore would be one of those old 1917's, or a good copy thereof. Budgeting, or lack thereof prevents it.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Guys it looked like a 1917. From all the photo's that I can find on the puter. I don't know how to transfer photo's from phone to computer and didn't think about a photo when I was there. I'm going back sometime this week and take another gander at it. It was nickel plated and had the wrong grips and I'm sure it was missing the lanyard loop. But the price was $525 on it. I may try to haggle for it if it locks up tight and has a good bore.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Hondo,
The money boys in the collecting field have a saying...."when in doubt, do without".

Don't fool with junk.....spend the right money on the right gun and it will never lose value...if you keep it free of pits and abuse, it will gain value.....maybe 5-8% a year.....more on the antique Winchesters and Colts.

For $1200, I'll send you this 100% unmolested S&W Model 1955 which shoots the 45 ACP or the 45 Auto-Rim.....Made in the early eighties.

I bought it new....maybe put 500 rounds out of it.......I think $350----6

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Six, that's a very nice revolver you have there. But I can't afford that kind of cash output right now. You are right though about buying the best.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I hear ya bro....it's not going anywhere......been with me all these years......but just sitting........you know how to contact me.-------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD