OT - Being Tailed

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hobie

OT - Being Tailed

Post by Hobie »

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

Paddle faster, Hobie!
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

What was that Satchel Paige said? "Don't look back, they might be gainin' on you!"
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

2 days ago a girl surfer lost a big chunk of her surf board, 14" bite
and just yesterday a guy was fishing on the beach..
He hopped in his kayak and paddled the bait out past the breakers.
it took him 3 hours to pull his catch in.....a 12 ft plus hammerhead shark
PPpastordon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PPpastordon »

Hobie;
Looks huge in the picture. However, personal experience has proved to me they look even bigger from a boat - even a bigger boat than that! :D :D
PPpastordon
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Snack-size banana bites! :shock:
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

PPpastordon wrote:Hobie;
Looks huge in the picture. However, personal experience has proved to me they look even bigger from a boat - even a bigger boat than that! :D :D
PPpastordon
We're gonna need a bigger boat!

Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

My pat answer is: "I will not swim in water where I can't see the bottom."
That picture may just change my mind about swimming period.

Joe
BlaineCGarverakaTubbyTuba
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BlaineCGarverakaTubbyTuba »

I snorkled a lot in Oahu when I was stationed there in the early 70s. It was a bit disconcerning to see the sharks and cudas on occasion. 99.9% of the time, they just leave you alone. Just once I had to poke a small hammerhead with my gig to turn it around when I thought it was a might close. The one rule was if you scraped or cut yourself on coral, you notified your dive buddy and you both got out and tried to tell anyone else in the area as well......blood would really draw them in.
---------------------
www.levergunluvers.com

MOLAN LABE

DEMOCRATS: PORK OVER PATRIOTISM
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

2 words...

BANG STICK!
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

He is trolling, what you see is his bait!! :shock:
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

Ugh...

I like when the "experts" say things like, "Oh, sharks aren't after humans as food." and, "It was just an exploratory bite. He was just curious."

My left foot!

A shark views whatever it can catch as food, and if it is full of delicious blood and gristle, then it's all the better for them.
Exploratory bite, yeah... It was "exploring" what was on the menu.

Scary fish, they are.
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

My brother in law is no coward, but he was some distance off the Mansfield Jetties in the Gulf of Mexico when he saw the birds playing the surface. Something was pushing a ball of baitfish to the surface.

As he got close in his kayak and prepared to cast a spoon into the bait ball, a large shark came up through the ball with mouth open, devouring a huge amount of baitfish. The shark was considerably bigger than the kayak and it got his attention. He does not venture forth alone anymore.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Yep, Ain't nothin like fishin TOPWATER BAIT TO BRING 'IM IN.!!!!!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I love that newspaper comic "Sherman's Lagoon" - especially when Sherman (a shark) or his Wife are looking up at the dangling legs of the "hairless beach apes" like they were a menu...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Dewight
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dewight »

I thought I wanted to take my kayak out on the ocean. :shock: Just changed my mind.
Member: Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Believe it or not, but that photo is for real. The picture was taken off the coast of S. Afrika during the filming of a series on shark behaviour by African Geographic. The Great White followed the kayak for a while, eventually lost interest, and swam away. The kayaker washed his shorts out a few minutes later. Not really, I made that part up. :lol:
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

We used to fish for Blue sharks off of Elliot's Beach on Parris Island.

We'd get a couple cases of beer and 4 of us in a 10 ft. row-boat and go to town. We'd filet those puppies, wrap 'em in foil with some butter, lemon, salt pepper and have a good ol' time.

One day after we'd worked our way through about a case and a half we pulled a 4ft hammerhead into the boat, and he wanted to be in charge.

I remember my buddy Dave trying to push him off to one side of the boat with his foot and that snapper bit right through Dave's sneaker. The shark didn't draw blood, but he did afford Dave a chance at the tool box where he kept "the equalizer", a 3lb ball-peen hammer.

Dave commenced to beatin' holes in that shark's head on one end with us tryin' to roll him (the shark) out of the boat on the other. There was shark's blood and stinkin' chum everywhere and we almost cap-sized the boat. It was a bloody foaming cluster-f. After we finally rolled the fully perforated shark back into the water, we bailed the water out of the bottom of the boat and debated rowing back in for a beer run, but decided to keep fishing. We caught that same stupid hammerhead again about 30 minutes later. He apparently did not know that he was dead.

We weren't gonna give him another ride so we cut him loose and rowed back in.

I kinda miss those days.

:lol:
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Bull sharks are the crazy ones. When you see one of those, it's time to go. A guy south of me here in Tampa Bay area had a 6' Bull latch onto his prop while the engine was at a fast idle. It ruined a really nice SS prop.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

FWiedner wrote:We used to fish for Blue sharks off of Elliot's Beach on Parris Island.

We'd get a couple cases of beer and 4 of us in a 10 ft. row-boat and go to town. We'd filet those puppies, wrap 'em in foil with some butter, lemon, salt pepper and have a good ol' time.

One day after we'd worked our way through about a case and a half we pulled a 4ft hammerhead into the boat, and he wanted to be in charge.

I remember my buddy Dave trying to push him off to one side of the boat with his foot and that snapper bit right through Dave's sneaker. The shark didn't draw blood, but he did afford Dave a chance at the tool box where he kept "the equalizer", a 3lb ball-peen hammer.

Dave commenced to beatin' holes in that shark's head on one end with us tryin' to roll him (the shark) out of the boat on the other. There was shark's blood and stinkin' chum everywhere and we almost cap-sized the boat. It was a bloody foaming cluster-f. After we finally rolled the fully perforated shark back into the water, we bailed the water out of the bottom of the boat and debated rowing back in for a beer run, but decided to keep fishing. We caught that same stupid hammerhead again about 30 minutes later. He apparently did not know that he was dead.

We weren't gonna give him another ride so we cut him loose and rowed back in.

I kinda miss those days.

:lol:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Cue the "Jaws" music...
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I won't willingly go into salt water because of big things with bigger teeth that are going to take a taste. There's no trees to climb in the ocean boys.

When I was 14 I spent a summer working on my dad's troller in Alaska. We pulled some seriously ugly looking stuff out of that water.
Old Law Dawg