Snagged Another Remington Pump In 35 Rem.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Snagged Another Remington Pump In 35 Rem.

Post by Sixgun »

So....I'm at the auction the other night and I had my heart set on this Colt Thunderer in 41 that was a good 95% gun made in 1888. I dang near had it for $1200 and the hammer was ready to drop when these jerks with cell phones outbid me and ran it up to 2200.

Then I almost got the Colt Lightning in 38 L.C. (storekeepers model) that was nicer than the Thunderer and once again, the nerds with the cell phones beat me out of that one too.

My bud did score on a 95% Civil War 1851 Colt Navy for 34.....but.....that was him. I wanted something too.

Up comes a 85% Winchester 1873 in 38-40 and that went for 3 g's. I was burning by then.

A Remington pump Model 14 in 35 Rem. made in 1928 that looks like it left the factory last week came up and I got that. Next in line was a Marlin Model 57 in 22 magnum with a Marlin scope came up and I bought it sight unseen. My! I was surprised when I got it in my hands...unfired...or at the least, maybe 20 rounds out of it. Made in the early sixties. shot it today and 10 shots went into an inch at 50 yards.

The 141 on top and the "new" model 14 on the bottom. Brothers separated by 11 years.

The Levermatic 22 mag.

The Marlin scope
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Snagged Another Remington Pump In 35 Rem.

Post by junkbug »

I have a Rem 14 in .35 Remington that I have hardly fired. For some reason, I seem to worry about cracking the pistol grip, as I have seen many with this flaw. Mine no longer has its original sights. I does have a nice vintage folding peep rear, and an older aftermarket tall front sight. I would like to get a generic carbine style rear sight just to fill the dovetail. Maybe I'll post it some time.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Cool !

I have an older friend that's addicted to 35 REM be it a Remington 14 , 141 , 8 , 81 or a Marlin 336 of pre 1960 vintage .

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the Marlin 56 , 57 and 62 were actually made by High Standard for Marlin . Never owned a 56 or 57 but I did have a couple 62's awhile back .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

6 point, Geeze...dunno about the manufacturer. I always thought Marlin made em.

BTW, I took your advice. Bunch of guys want to buy the grips but it's just too much to deal with right now......and then next week I'll find a pristine 5 screw model 29 that someone put Pachmayers on. :D ----6

Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

That is two great finds! Have had my eye out for a 77 Thunder also. ,,,,,,DT
mav
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mav »

Two nice finds. Take that scope off and you have yourself a new Pistol Caliber Silhouette rifle. ;-)
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Nice guns on both accounts. Those model 14's come to the shoulder and point great. I have a levermatic in 22LR and it shoots excellent, two great finds.
rafter-7
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rafter-7 »

you got some nice remingtons there! I think they have a lot of style and class. I have a minty one in 25-20 win

guns like that just put a smile on your face when you look at them even, if you don't shoot them!

Chad
Last edited by rafter-7 on Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Wow, nice stuff.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

mav wrote:Two nice finds. Take that scope off and you have yourself a new Pistol Caliber Silhouette rifle. ;-)

Thanks guys but its just another gun or two. I just dont get excited like I used to.

And Mav,...I was thinking that also but the trigger must be 6 pounds and I never worked on a trigger like that........plus I hear .22 mag ammo is something like $15-20 a box. I shot some up I had in my collection and I still have maybe 5 boxes....all from the sixties.-----------6

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well, Six that is too bad on the trigger. I have a Ruger 7x57 that has an 8 1/2 lb trigger that is a tack driver after bedding. Maybe you better send that out here :-)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Old Savage wrote:Well, Six that is too bad on the trigger. I have a Ruger 7x57 that has an 8 1/2 lb trigger that is a tack driver after bedding. Maybe you better send that out here :-)
Old Savage my friend.....it ain't no museum here. This is where money talks and BS walks. :D

Throw me a number over 5.--------6

JRD
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JRD »

A company called Kessler made short throw lever action shotguns in the early 50's. Do a google search and you will find they closed up shop and Marlin somehow came out making the Levermatics in the. 60's. My dad has a 30 carbine Levermatic from the first year they made them which was around 1966. Haven't shot that gun in close to 20 years. Maybe a reason to borrow it from him and take it to the range.

Nice finds Six.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

Years ago, I hunted with a 141 in Michigan. It was a 35 Remington and shot exceedingly well with iron sights but my eyeballs were much younger then.

Good luck on finding 35 ammo. NONE AVAILABLE in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

JRD,
Right! I hear the Marlin people bought the rights from Kessler. Funny thing it never caught on as its a fine quick action gun.

If you ever want to have a heart to heart talk with your dad and he decides he wants to move that 30 carbine, I'm buying..........as I'm no cheapo, like most guys, I'll pay Blue Book. :D (My wife don't dictate my cash :D )

And......Mr. T.R............your right as its hard to find ammo for most anything but as I'm a weirdo and have tons of brass and more tons of lead and even more tons of gas checks, whatever....I'm good-to-go.---------the 6 :D

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Sixgun wrote:If you ever want to have a heart to heart talk with your dad and he decides he wants to move that 30 carbine, I'm buying:D
I had a Model 62 in 30 Carbine and another in 256 Win Mag . Bought them both the same day at a public auction in Bedford VA .

FWIW they made atleast one in 22 Rem Jet .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
1894c

Post by 1894c »

SIX -- nice find, really like that .35 Remington... :)
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

Congratulations on that .35 pump. I bet it is sweet to watch & listen to the action being worked.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

.35 Rem factory rounds selling for $3 each here in MI; box of 50 swaged bullets going for $50 :(
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I bought a beater carbine this summer to hunt with (filling holes in the "one of each" collection") but when I got it I found that Remington really screwed up the sights on this gun and made them extremely blurry. Now I need to find an aperture sight to try instead. Shouldn't be hard, it looks like at one point or another this gun was drilled and tapped for every kind of sight ever made. :roll: :lol:
Slow is just slow.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

CAS, I've had them like that.....but.....they usually still shoot great!

2571.....I have a 4 cavity mould that drops 210 grain gas check bullets out by the bucket load in a couple of hours. I run them 1800...let's see here......free lead......03 for the primer, .03 for the gas check and about .07 for the powder....$2.60 a box ......and a fair amount of time...but that what I like to do.-- :D ------6

Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Cas, do I have your permission to use that line. (Remington (( insert other manufacturer)) really screwed up the sights, made them extremely blurry)? Thanks. Les
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Yeah... around the same time I bought a beater 99. It came with a Marbles tang sight on it that I didn't want. The plan was to remove it and sell it to offset the cost. Two things happened though. One, I found the sight was covering a world of sins. And two, I found that without it I have no chance of using the rifle. Two different companies with rifles made decades apart, both with blurry sights. What are the odds?

My eyes are turning against me quickly. :(
Slow is just slow.
GSRASHER
Levergunner

Post by GSRASHER »

Wow! Thanks for posting the picture of your new Levermatic. Sure brings back memories. I moved to Urbana, Il in 1968 to attend the U of I, and bought a new .22 mag. Levermatic there. I only got to shoot when I went home to the farm on vacations, but really enjoyed it. That rifle was stolen in an apartment break-in in about 1971. That was a heartbreaking event.

Except for my Daisy BB gun, it was my first lever-action.