Winchester Centennial '66 pics

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Winchester Centennial '66 pics

Post by TedH »

Finally had some time yesterday to snap a few pics of the new 30-30. I ended up trading a couple other guns for it, so if you go by what I had in those other guns, I got this for $570, so I'm happy with it. As you can see, it's pretty minty. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but it's got the best trigger of any 94 I've ever had. Should be a good shooter once I put a receiver sight on it.

NRA Life Member
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Re: Winchester Centennial '66 pics

Post by octagon »

:D
Gaucho Gringo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gaucho Gringo »

As a 15 year old I can remember looking at them every time I walked past the sporting goods department in Fred Meyers when they came out. I even sent away for the catalog that year, I think I still have it packed away somewhere.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Just a heads-up, Ted - be VERY careful when using a square-blade screwdriver around that receiver, as the plating will chip off in a New York Minute.

TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I suspected as much Pete. I did a full strip down and cleaning already, and was very careful with the screw drivers. I have seen pictures online of others that had the plating flaking off.
NRA Life Member
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

That's a nice one Ted!!!!

going to gun broker now Bye!

ollogger
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Ted,

I've said it here before....those guns give the best bang for the buck.....nice wood to meter fit.......good looking all around........I see you have the short rifle version...should make an excellent shooter.

At the long range buffalo shoot I was at the other day, a few guys had Canadian Centennials and a Buffalo Bill......

You can shoot that baby until the cows come home and never hurt it.----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Sixgun wrote:
Now I just need to figure out which receiver sight to install. I'd love to put a tang sight on it, but for the the dang engraving on the tang.
NRA Life Member
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

TedH wrote:
Sixgun wrote:
Now I just need to figure out which receiver sight to install. I'd love to put a tang sight on it, but for the the dang engraving on the tang.

Ted,
Put a tang sight on it. It will only require one extra hole. There were something like 90000 of those guns made so that means in 25 years or so, when you decide to sell it, or your heirs sell it, they, or you will get $700 for it instead of $800. whooooooooooooo. The Feds take twice that much out of my check every week.

Or.....if you are a real spendthrift, just use the stock bolt to hold on the tang sight and epoxy the base to the tang.

Many, if not all of the commeratives I see have been resighted.-----------6

TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Sixgun wrote: Ted,
Put a tang sight on it. It will only require one extra hole. There were something like 90000 of those guns made so that means in 25 years or so, when you decide to sell it, or your heirs sell it, they, or you will get $700 for it instead of $800. whooooooooooooo.
Many, if not all of the commeratives I see have been resighted.-----------6
Yeah, but I've always been kinda hesitent about drilling new holes in guns......

We'll see.
NRA Life Member
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Ted,
I bet you still have your 8th grade lunch money. :D

OK, Then use the stock bolt and epoxy the base to the tang. Degrease everything and it will hold tight for years. I've done this countless times when using tang sights that were made for other guns and the holes did not match up. Then I cut off a screw head and epoxied that in the hole to make it look OK. When you want to changed the sight just take out the stock bolt, pull off the stock and hit the upper tang with a propane torch briefly......she will come right off and the original finish on the tang will be perfect. :D --------6

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Drill the dern hole and put a tang sight on it... Send me an PM and I'll send you a Receiver sight...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Sixgun wrote:Ted,

OK, Then use the stock bolt and epoxy the base to the tang. Degrease everything and it will hold tight for years. I've done this countless times when using tang sights that were made for other guns and the holes did not match up. Then I cut off a screw head and epoxied that in the hole to make it look OK. When you want to changed the sight just take out the stock bolt, pull off the stock and hit the upper tang with a propane torch briefly......she will come right off and the original finish on the tang will be perfect. :D --------6

My school didn't have a cafeteria in 8th grade. If I didn't bring my P B & J, I didn't eat lunch. :D

Griff, PM forthcomeing. 8)
NRA Life Member
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

TedH wrote:
Sixgun wrote:Ted,
My school didn't have a cafeteria in 8th grade. If I didn't bring my P B & J, I didn't eat lunch. :D
Griff, PM forthcomeing. 8)
Answered and answered. Me either... musta been cushy growin' up in such a welfare atmosphere...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

Did you get that leapord with it????? LOL!
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

Does Winchester offer a toggle-link action 1866 chambered in either .44WCF or .45Colt? That's the kind of '66 I'd be interested in. jd45
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

jd45 wrote:Does Winchester offer a toggle-link action 1866 chambered in either .44WCF or .45Colt? That's the kind of '66 I'd be interested in. jd45
Uberti did....I have a 1860 Henry transition model in .45 Colt and a 1866 Carbine in .44-40. Thinking of selling the Henry transition because I already have a 92 Winchester (Miroku) in .45 Colt that I can shoot +p+ rounds out of
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

vance, I also have a Uberti '73 Sporting Rifle in .45. Very well crafted & shoots good, too, but I hear the Mirokus are even better crafted than the Ubertis, if possible, but because of the extremely slow rifling twist, don't do that well accuracywise. How does your '92 shoot? Good, I hope! jd45
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

It's a 20 or 25 year old rifle with 24" bbl. I've never shot it for group but have taken 2 mule deer and some hogs with it and PMC ammo using 300 gr XTP s. I've also used cowboy loads to shoot silhouettes out to 750....takes about 3 seconds to confirm a hit :D
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle