Savage 99 EG in 303 savage

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Savage 99 EG in 303 savage

Post by iceman »

I think I did ok today. I picked up a 99 EG in 303 savage with a box of Imperial 190 gr rounds for $150. Seemed good to me. There is a crack in the stock by the butt plate but repairable. Bore is clean and sharp. There was a sling with hook type attachments and round eyes in the wood. I have similar set up in a 1942 model 94 and I think they are probably worth more than I paid for the rifle. Can anybody confirm this see pics attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Re: Savage 99 EG in 303 savage

Post by Mainehunter »

Never knew the EG models came with them or was it an option? :? I've seen slings and eye hooks like that but only on models R or RS. Nice grab though! :)

Mainehunter :wink:
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

oh so nice!! I think with the ammo & the sling you didn't pay but a few bucks for the gun :mrgreen:

ollogger
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I don't think it was originally with the sling but added on. Couldn't resist at that price, I remember my Dad had a 303 savage.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Yessir ......you done very well in the "world of old fashioned Highway Robbery" :D That's American Capitalism at its finest. Those old fashioned sling hooks are very desirable and I always keep several sets around when I want to make a few extra hundred on a fine Winchester.-----6

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

I'd love to have that rifle for another hundred. Really good deal! Have fun with it.
32-20
Levergunner

Post by 32-20 »

Your 99 isn't an EG. EG's had the pistol grip . Nice gun and a great price.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Pure larceny! And now you have a fine rifle.

And Partizan is making brass for it and Lee makes dies so it is now quite readily fed by a reloader. Just like a 30/30 for case capacity and the nice long neck for cast bullets.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Outstanding find! Wow, you got it for a song.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

32-20 wrote:Your 99 isn't an EG. EG's had the pistol grip . Nice gun and a great price.
+1 - Some Savage 99's have the model's single or two letters stamped into the face of the action, on one or both sides of the spool magazine's axle bushing - viewable after removing the forwnd wood.

Like: [ E O G ], [ O F ], [ O R ], [ O T ], or have the model stamped into the LH topside of the front receiver ring (Model A, Model B, etc).

iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

What I have found out so far is it is circa 1936/37. On the road today so I will take it apart and check it out for other markings. Not sure if I'll keep it or sell it yet. At that price I couldn't leave it for someone else. I also picked up a Mossberg 500 in 12 ga with vent rib and removable choke like new for $275 not a super deal but I like them. I sold one a couple of years ago and bought a new Winchester SPX. I just can't get used to the safety in front of the trigger and being left handed sort of awkward. Looks like I have it sold for what I have in it so win,win.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

My mistake in saying it is an EG (got to get these glasses checked) No other model designation other than Model 99. I removed the forearm and after I got the spruce needles and other dirt out of there all I saw stamped on the face of the receiver was the letter T. (It is not a take down) The forearm is wide and checkered, the barrel is short at 20" shotgun butt. Serial # on butt plate matches serial of the rifle 3719xx. The internals were dirty but functional. I'll have to do a tear down and scrub them but nothing major. The more I play with it the more I like it. Sure is a handy rifle. I find it strange that forearm is checkered yet stock is not could it be an add on? Here are some more pics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Do you need any load data? I have some in a lymans #45. danny
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Load data might be handy. I will probably shoot 170 gr jacketed as I don't cast my own. I have found brass at $80/100 new Privi brass. Getting more and more tempting to turn this into a winter project and redo the wood etc. I seem to be able to see the rear sight pretty well and it could just be my next walking around rifle.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Here you go. danny

iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Thanks!!
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Serial number stamped on the end of the forearm matches rifle. A model T is apparently semi rare, yet all photos I have seen of the T model have a curved lever. I'll keep searching when i have time. Any ideas appreciated.