To shoot an unfiored late 2nd gen Colt or not --

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

To shoot an unfiored late 2nd gen Colt or not --

Post by Streetstar »

A couple of months ago, i came across this rascal --- its a 2nd Gen SAA made in 1971 (NRA Centennial edition)
I posted a thread here soon after it came home even
I thought it was a 3rd Gen , and the price was $1350 --- i gladly coughed up the dough without-thinking much about it ------- my thoughts were -- a 3rd Gen commemorative is not worth as much , so would make a dang nice shooter

--- Its still unfired -- I had my gunsmith look it over with his various instruments and he also declared it unfired -- interestingly it didnt come with a box, but one of our fellow levergunners told me where ic an get one as well if i need the box -- too cool

-------- I have resisted the urge for 2 months , but now it is almost as tempting as a scantilly clad Hollywood starlet in the next room who is brainwashed into thinking i am good looking

I have had knowledgable firearms folks tell me to shut it in a hermetically sealed box and never look at it again - (well, not quite that bad) - and others who tell me to shoot it with reckless abandon

Dang - what to do, what to do

----- Doug
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: To shoot an unfiored late 2nd gen Colt or not --

Post by Old Savage »

I would shoot it. I did with a Ruger from the same era. But, what is it actually worth? So you spent over1300 bucks and don't have a gun to shoot here. What is that about? Unless you just enjoy owning it in its unfired condition, is there a better option???
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

If you're not going to shoot it you might as well be collecting pocket watches. At least you can wear them to town. But that's me.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Heck, that thing's not even old.

It needs the patina of a few powder burns to be worth something.

Or

You can always just look in the mirror while you hold it up and say "pew... pew... pew..."

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

Unless the value of the Colt in unfired condition would raise you from poverty, shoot it and enjoy it.

My next door neighbor died last year with a house full of valuable items. He never got to enjoy the use of them nor profitted from his investments. His brother-in-law will realize a tidy sum. There is a lesson there.

I have one unfired & collectible handgun that I fully intend to fire when the urge strikes me.
I have realized the the value of the gun if it is fired is still quite a bit more than I paid due to inflation, so I really won't loose a penny if I shoot it.

Jack
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Tough decision.....am I a collector or shooter? My .02...pre-WW2 is old and 1971 is modern :wink:
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I remember your post when you got your Colt. As I recall, you were very excited to get it, and I assume to shoot it as it was your first SAA.

In my opinion, if this is your only SAA, I'd shoot that sucker silly. It would be one thing if it was an unfired 1'st generation that you lucked into. Then I'd say sell it and buy 4 or 5 shooters.
Or, if you had other ones to shoot, then maybe I'd consider leaving it as is.

All that said, it really isn't that old and someone collecting these will want a boxed example. I don't think shooting it will
de-value it much if at all.

Besides, its probably an awesome shooter and think of all the fun you'll have. :D

Waiting to see a target,
OW
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Shoot it! :D
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

It's not just for lookin' at. That's what pictures are for. Every post so far says "shoot it", and I agree. As long as you are careful to keep it clean and looking new, shooting it won't hurt.
I've bought several of the limited issue Winchester commemoratives and have enjoyed shooting them all.

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

You are just saving the value for someone else, are you going to sell it, doubtful.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

You bought it to shoot, go shoot it. :lol:

As to any collector value, that went south with the original serial numbered box and all the paperwork that was in it.

Go have fun.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Sounds like the jury has spoken

I'll try to time my trip to the range during the week to avoid the deer season crowd --- plenty of folks out shooting their muzzleloaders or their 2 centerfire cartridges to ensure they are still sighted in from last year and all that
----- Doug
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Shoot your Colt !!

It will love you for it..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

That would be too painful, send it to me to shoot it. Never mind all the Calif hops, don't let hat stop you.

TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I've bought and sold a few collectable guns over the years. None have been unfired though. I buy guns because I enjoy them. I appreciate the construction, the craftsmanship, the feel of the steel being perfectly fitted and flawlessly mated to the walnut. But, that only goes so far. There is a whole nuther level of enjoyment and satisfaction of taking that fine instrument outside and making a gong ring, a ram fall over, or just clustering a bunch of holes in the bullseye.
There are a lot better "investments" if you are looking for financial gain. I won't own a gun I don't shoot.
NRA Life Member
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I'll add my .02. If it was me I'd shoot it but be very careful with the pistol. However I would have never bought it without first deciding to shoot it.

It is a fair question however. I have no understanding of the collectors market. The real questions to me are can you prove it is unfired to a level that assures a collector? It would be a drag to hold on to it for years unfired only to find it didn't have the value you expected. What little I know about collectors is that they are a ruthless bunch when it comes to proof that establishes value.

What is the value difference between fired and unfired? If it was only a couple hundred bucks difference it would already be smoked up!!

One definite reality is that you own a real nice Colt that will always continue to out pace inflation handsomely.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

my colt NF in 44-40 was unfired for 36 years, I fixed that it has bout 500 down its pipe now
ok now I have to cast some more bullets :D

ollogger
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Shoot it!
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

No way would I not shoot that beauty! Shoot it to enjoy it.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

jnyork wrote:As to any collector value, that went south with the original serial numbered box and all the paperwork that was in it.
Go have fun.
This ^^^!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

The piece will never decrease in value, only increase. It's a Colt, shoot the piece and enjoy.
If it were a first generation I would still shoot the piece, only in moderation and only with black powder.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Buck Elliott wrote:Shoot your Colt !!

I concur---make it go BANG... :)
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Buck Elliott wrote:Shoot your Colt !!

I did -- i have a companion thread up with pics for proof ----- made for a very cool day
----- Doug
trapper45
Levergunner 1.0

Post by trapper45 »

Got one of those same ones--.45, 7-1/2"--a couple of years ago. It had some issues that necessitated a trip to Colt. While there it got fitted with an ACP cylinder, and now can run anything. Price was decent, being an unsold commemorative, and not blinged-up with gaudy ornamentation it's a great shooter. Shoot it.

And in our for-what-it's-worth department, .45 ACP in a 7-1/2" SAA is like a big Single-Six, just more fun.