32 win mod 64

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
308magtip
Levergunner 2.0

32 win mod 64

Post by 308magtip »

I have a late 30's Mod 64 Winchester in .32 Win Spcl Cal.Bought 2 boxes of the new Hornady 165 FTX flextip ammo.First 3 shots center at 50 yds.2 more from gear bag without holding down much on gun.Went high.Last shot standing with tree rest and although to the left the entire group was 3 and 5/8 wide by 2 and 3/8 high center of bullet hole measurements.Distance was 50 yds. Anyone else shoot this stuff? I have old Redfield peepsights without the small apture installed.Big hole I use in field.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Re: 32 win mod 64

Post by geobru »

I have a late 40's 64 in 32 WS. It is one of my favorite rifle to shoot offhand because it has a fabulous 3.5 pound trigger. When I was sighting it in after installing a taller from sight, I shot a three shot group using a lead sled, that measured 0.37" at 50 yards with the original open sights. That was a day when the light was just right for my eyes and I could see a clear sight picture. That is unusual for these old eyes! That load was using IMR 3031 IIRC.

I played around with LVR powder and Hornady 160 gr. FTX bullets in my M94 30-30 and got a 1.3" 5 shot group at 55 yards, again using a lead sled. For me, the amount of light has a big impact on the size of the group. I need to see what the 32 will do with LVR loads.

Bottom line though is that the M64 is a meat gun, designed to shoot minute of deer. Sounds like you are there with your rifle!
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

I have not tried the FTX through my Marlin 32. Never needed the extra range provided with that cartridge. THe Federals have always worked well in it. I have 24" barrel, shoots 1" easily at 87 yards (that is how far my target is from bench)

Had trouble sighting it in the other day, scope is over 30 years old, an old weaver. Time for new one I think.
Going to use the Marlin 1894 357 this fall, I am stuck in deep timber, any shot I take will be 30 yards max.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I have several 64's and 94's in 32WS. I've never shot the FTX's so I'm not sure about them but I have great luck with a 170gr. Hornady FP over 31.5gr of IMR3031.
The rifle I'm hunting with this year is an 1899mfd. 94 rifle that was factory returned and had a 64 front end in 32WS installed with a 56 Lyman receiver sight. I love this rifle as I prefer straight grips and it has uncanny accuracy. Last Thursday I shot three touching at 50yrds. with the above load. Ringing steel at 200yrds offhand is no problem with this rifle/load combination.
A 32 in the 64 configuration should be capable of excellent accuracy with the right factory or handload. The extra sight radius provided by a good quality receiver sight can only help.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.