Trigger work

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Trigger work

Post by guido4198 »

I have an original Win 71. The trigger pull is well, less than ideal.
This rifle is a "shooter", NOT a safe queen, or collector's piece.
Has anyone successfully improved the trigger on one of these, or should I just learn to live with it ?
Thanks for your thoughts.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Trigger work

Post by Pete44ru »

As long as you're expectation isn't to be able to have a target quality trigger pull, a real gunsmith (not some parts-changer) should be able to smooth the pull out, and possibly make it lighter.

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Stoned all my Winchester triggers and always got what I wanted and never screwed one up.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

The 71, unlike most of the previous models, works on a coil mainspring instead of a leaf spring.

I took my 71 and cut 2 coils off of the spring. It is now 2 pounds, down from the previous 3.5 pounds. Keep in mind that this is my silhouette target gun, not a hunting gun.

In handling many Model 71's, I have never seen one that was over 4 pounds and all have been crisp., which is not really a bad hunting trigger. --------------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Any 94 action I cut the coil spring down resulted in light strikes! It does not eliminate creep. If you he sear angles are wrong the trigger will actually cam the hammer back a fraction making it heavy. Stoning the angle so this does not happen is the key.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Gleedaniel13
Levergunner

Post by Gleedaniel13 »

That was one of the classic gun I want to purchase with. Hopefully, some are offering me on a lower price here. :)