...and I thought I just liked hunting 'cuz we killed stuff..

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

...and I thought I just liked hunting 'cuz we killed stuff..

Post by AJMD429 »

...since all the nutty anti-hunters say that, but THIS article pretty much clarifies one of the REAL reasons I think many of us gravitate to hunting...
[b][u]Doug Giles[/u] @ Clash Daily[/b] wrote:
". . . our sport is 99.9% devoid of nasty, whiny, man-hating, stretch-pants-wearing, mullet-sporting, anti-American, nerve-grating feminists and nutty liberals. Yep, around the campfire and in the field, the lunatic left’s yarbling is non-existent.

Why the absence of the left’s asininity out in the brush? The answer is simple: The tree humpers don’t hunt, which is awesome!

For my God and country-loving tribe, this makes the air smell fresher, the food taste better, the wine taste sweeter, the buzz last longer, the stars shine brighter, the voice of God clearer, and the trip overwhelmingly blissful with such jackanapes missing from our mix.

Yep, the hunting camp is a traditional values paradise.
"

http://clashdaily.com/2014/10/love-hunt ... -liberals/
I hope as we get into the peak of hunting season, all of us can enjoy the companionship of family and fellow outdoorsmen and women who really KNOW what it's like to be a part of God's earth, and the circle of life. Nothing finer than sharing such things with kindred spirits.

P.S. - Bring along some young'uns or 'newbies' too - so they can learn what it's all about...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Re: ...and I thought I just liked hunting 'cuz we killed stu

Post by plowboy 45 »

I hope to have as much fun this year as I did last year
Here's a pic of my little camp last year
No worries around this camp
Just a real good time
Squirrel hunt in the morning and evening rest in the middle
My grandmother gave me this little camper purty sure it's a 1970 model
Note the Browning 22 lever action at the hitch end, with my buddies 1022
Hope everyone is safe and has a good time this hunting season
Doc I know this thread wasn't exactly bout huntin camps, but what you were gittin at happens here for me

Good huntin
PLOWBOY

Three quick notes
That's not my leather hat, I wear a felt hat of good quality
That is 2 quarts of homemade liquor on the black tub by the dish liquid
And most important I took the scope off my Browning
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I've long known my enjoyment of hunting had nothing to do with killing, cuz I so seldom kill anything. Lots of hunting and very occasional finding. But that fellow does have a real good point!

And hey, that is a fine looking camp, Plowboy. Bet you have many fine times around that campfire.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Hunting is the chance to get close to nature and as far away from humanity as possible, except of course other like minded hunters. We are indeed fortunate to be hunters...... :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

"I hope as we get into the peak of hunting season, all of us can enjoy the companionship of family and fellow outdoorsmen and women who really KNOW what it's like to be a part of God's earth, and the circle of life. Nothing finer than sharing such things with kindred spirits. "

There it is...Couldn't have said it better, so I won't try.
Thanks.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

sometimes I really hate to ruin a good deer hunt by shooting a deer... :)
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

1892 wrote:sometimes I really hate to ruin a good deer hunt by shooting a deer... :)
One of my most memorable hunts, and one which I enjoy relating to my buddies as much or more than any other is the time I let a perfectly legal Whitetail walk around me for 20 minutes. WELL within range...even put the scope on it several times, and never took the shot.
It was the last day of the season...a beautiful clear cool day in S.E. Georgia. The good Lord had granted me plenty of success already that season and just watching that deer was the PERFECT way to top off a great day and great season.

Like he said...I didn't want to ruin the experience by shooting.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

guido4198 wrote:Like he said...I didn't want to ruin the experience by shooting.
'Hunting' includes obtaining sustenance in the form of game or harvest, but is the whole process (or even, 'mindset', as we have discussed), and one can go 'hunting' without necessarily always killing an animal. Certainly we leave many animals unharmed, due to game regulations or our own ethical or herd-management reasons, or because our pantry is full and we are just practicing and/or enjoying the experience.

Last year the only 'deer hunting' I did was on the last day of gun-season I took my Marlin 1894 out to one of my son's tree stands, and just spent a half-hour or so watching the sun set. I didn't even bother to load the gun, because I don't like shooting at dusk (never lost one 'run off in the dark' yet, but don't want to risk it), and because mostly I just wanted to get out in the deer-woods and send some prayers up for the friend of mine who had just died that day of melanoma, and was the guy who really 'got me started' deer hunting, by teaching me how to field-dress AND butcher. I had no desire to interrupt the spirituality of my 'hunting' that evening by actually shooting a deer and (ironically) do all those things he had taught me to do. Those could wait for another day.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

1892 wrote:sometimes I really hate to ruin a good deer hunt by shooting a deer... :)
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who feels this way. I love being out in the woods at camp packin one of my old Winchesters. I like to see game too, and get just as excited when I see it as I did when I was a kid. But now its enough to know I Could Have shot it.
When I was young, I wanted to rack up a score like everyone else, and I did. I got my "biggest bucks in Maine club" patch and shot some nice bucks. Now it just seems like a hassel to have to take care of it.
Its my sons turn now.
I'd also like to see my dad get one more big stomper.

I shoot more partridge now than anything. "Stand on the wings, pull the feet, he's all gutted, breasted, and ready to eat." :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I like to get back into an environment where I can savor 'real' life, without a television, the internet, a smart-phone, or someone yammering about bargains they found at the local mall.

I like listening to the wind moving through the trees, the birds, and the animals walking around where I can't see them.

There's something calming about building a little campfire and watching it burn, or drinking a cup of coffee from an old enameled steel cup.

The part about getting up and looking for meat is important, but not primary.

Just more work, actually... :?

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

+ ..... All of the above
Phil
rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rogn »

I don't bird hunt any more since there are no quail within500 miles, I do miss the dogs though. I squirrel hunt a bit mostly out of my kitchen door as the beggars strip my pecan tree. I deer hunt more than I used to because they damage more of my crops as their numbers increase. Does are more of my target and those climb into the freezer or go to someone who appreciates he meat. This is probably more harvesting than hunting since it has a purpose in population control. However in years past and still to this day i get to see and hear things the green huggers will never see. Foxes hunting mice and denning in a sandpile. A squirrel running up to you knee before it realizes its shouldn't be there, having a raptor take a small bird just inches in front of your face while you're being motionless(followed by your jaw dropping to your knees) and this list goes on endlessly. Ive passed several bucks in the 10 & 12 pt category just hoping they'd pass on their genes and not before being shot by the invading orange army. Killing , yes with a purpose, but more a matter of being out with nature and God. Good for both soul and mind.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I've confessed before that killing is real low on my list of activities. Cancer changed my abilities but I found I was ok getting my meat from Safeways. I have no agenda or some strange spiritual vibe against hunting and do plan a few deer hunts before my turn to experience dying comes. I treasure hunting stories on the forum but have little desire to kill. I do love woods walking with a rifle and do it in griz country. Grizz gets too close to my family camping I'll let the 444 do the talking but I kinda like the fact my woods got mountain lion, bears, rabbits, and prairie chicken.

The company of sport hunters is a treasure and disappearing fast.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

That pretty much describes why I participate in anything I do voluntarily!
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Guys don't let the cat out of the bag. Now all them liberals are going to make us have "diversity" in our camps. :lol: