Shooters I want are not available or not affordable...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Shooters I want are not available or not affordable...

Post by MacEntyre »

I want a levergun in 32 H&R magnum, a shooter, not a collector. There was only one ever made, and they are neither available nor affordable, at least not for me. I don't want to pay $1400 for a rifle that's great fun, but is at the bottom of the list for any practical purpose.

I'd rather have my other wish.. a shooter in 38-40 to go with my 38-40 Blackhawk. Seems like all vintage Winchesters and Marlins have skyrocketed in price. Four years ago, I was tempted by two pawn shop Winchesters in 38-40, a rifle and a carbine. Both were about $850. I'm kicking myself because I didn't buy the carbine! Yesterday I found out that a 92 in 38-40 was on the shelf at a LGS for about 30 minutes last week, and sold for $1,000. At least I got the brass the seller turned in with the rifle.

The Blackhawk converts to 10mm... maybe I should just get an Olympic Arms K10 10mm EBR instead. [Edit: nah, the feeling passed...]

If I save my pennies, what would be a reasonable budget for a 38-40 shooter, figuring that it won't be purchased until some time next year?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Shooters I want are not available or not affordable...

Post by AJMD429 »

Can you rebarrel a more common one like a 44 Mag...? I made a 45 Colt Marlin 1894 out of a 44 Mag one with just a barrel swap - same bolt and carrier.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Just found this on another forum... no other details provided.
I have a Marlin in 10mm Magnum that I had converted in 1995 from a .357 as the cartridge length an base
diameter are the same so only a barrel change is needed
Should be able to do that with a Rossi...

As you can see, I am torn between shooting 38-40 and 10mm.
AJMD429 wrote:Can you rebarrel a more common one like a 44 Mag...?
You know, one could purchase and re-barrel two rifles for the price of a vintage 92.

Found another one that converted a 44 mag to 38-40:
I've done this. It was nearly 20 years ago, so I don't recall all of the particulars. A friend and I were getting into cowboy action shooting and wanted leverguns in the same caliber as our brace of holster guns. I chose 38-40 as a more traditional caliber than .45 Colt. Fortunately for me, my friend was a very accomplished gunsmith. I believe we used a Douglas barrel blank. After minimal turning and threading on the lathe, cutting the barrel to length and crowning, we cut the chamber with a rented reamer. Going from memory, I believe we cut the extractor groove by hand to match that on the original .44 barrel. I did the surface prep, and we blued the barrel in my friend's garage. It was not a difficult conversion. As you estimated, the only new part needed was the 38-40 barrel, and from what I remember, I only had to fiddle a bit with the cartridge carrier and loading gate to get it to feed flawlessly. My Rossi Puma has the front sight cast as part of the front barrel/magazine band, so we didn't even have to cut a sight dovetail.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Would you be interested in a NIB Winchester '92 in 38-40? One of the rifles from Davidsons years ago.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Thunder50 wrote:Would you be interested in a NIB Winchester '92 in 38-40? One of the rifles from Davidsons years ago.
That's probably an example of what is beyond my means... PM sent anyway!

Thank you!
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

I must live under a rock... it never occurred to me to compare 45 Colt to 38-40.

38-40 cartridges cycle just fine in my 45 Colt Rossi 92... they're just loose in the chamber. But feeding and ejection works without a problem.

Being a Scot, and being tighter than a crab's skin, which is water tight, perhaps I should re-barrel my Rossi to shoot 38-40.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Does Armi San Marco chamber their '92 for 38-40? I traded for one recently in .45 Colt and it seems to be a pretty good rifle. Have you considered '73s? I know Uberti chambers them for 38-40 and there is NOTHING smoother or sweeter than a '73 that's been slicked up a little.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

M. M. Wright wrote:Does Armi San Marco chamber their '92 for 38-40?
It's on their web site as numero catalogo 9736:
http://www.armidafuoco.com/armi/scheda/ ... STER/19156

I'll see if one of the LGS can order them, and what they cost.
M. M. Wright wrote:Have you considered '73s?
That's a good idea... however, each '73 I've found in 38-40 has been $1,000 or more.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Just pay the money. What are you going to do, take it with you? Don't be cheap.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Old Savage wrote:Just pay the money. What are you going to do, take it with you? Don't be cheap.
I would accept your suggestion, if I had a job.

I've been self employed for 25 years, but it isn't working well just now.

Nonetheless, I am the very definition of cheap.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

[quote=]

Nonetheless, I am the very definition of cheap.[/quote]

I prefer the word thrifty!

Rebarreling a Rossi 92 would not be very expensive. Not sure what availability of rifle barrels in that caliber are.
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

I am thrifty as well!

I have no idea if I can find a barrel from a 357 to bore and re-chamber. If I can find one, I already have a 45Colt Rossi 92.

The folks at the Rossi forum have encouraged me to consider converting to 41 magnum instead of 38-40. The back end of the brass is identical, so it should work just as well.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

MacEntyre wrote:
Old Savage wrote:Just pay the money. What are you going to do, take it with you? Don't be cheap.
I would accept your suggestion, if I had a job.

I've been self employed for 25 years, but it isn't working well just now.

Nonetheless, I am the very definition of cheap.
:roll: Doctors are usually on a different reality than EveryMan....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

MacEntyre wrote:...consider converting to 41 magnum instead of 38-40. The back end of the brass is identical, so it should work just as well.
Well, that turned out not to be true. The 41 is significantly smaller than 38-40, but my 45 Colt still feeds and extracts 41 cal test rounds, if I put a cleaning rod in the barrel to keep the 41 from falling into the chamber.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

MacEntyre wrote:The folks at the Rossi forum have encouraged me to consider converting to 41 magnum instead of 38-40. The back end of the brass is identical, so it should work just as well.
AmmoGuide.com has a 'cartridge identification and search' function that you can search via all sorts of paramters.

Searching with Rim Width and Body Width same as 38-40 there are a huge amount of 'similars' using the tolerance factor of +/- 0.03"

The 444 Marlin was quite similar, other than length, if that helps...

AmmoGuide.com is a great site - costs a few bucks but $0.50 a week or less.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

For what its worth a modern steel 32-40 can be pushed hard enough to give the 32 Magnum a run for it.