Problems for Navy shooting team

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Problems for Navy shooting team

Post by jnyork »

By Meghann Myers
Staff writer

Filed Under
News

Did you know the Navy has an official shooting team?

It does, but the team that’s been around since 1907 is in danger of falling apart after deep budget cuts two years ago, team members say. The Navy’s best marksmen foot the bill — amounting to thousands of dollars a year — for the lodging, transportation, fees, guns and ammo needed to represent the service at top competitions. And the cuts are making it hard to keep going, let alone recruit the next generation’s sharpshooters.

“We need equipment for the young shooters, to inspire them to get in the game,” said Senior Chief Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician (EWS/SW/AW) David Walker. “Some of the old-timers are leaving, and who’s going to be next?”

Walker and some others can recall the time when their competitions and team expenses were wholly covered by the service, which stopped in 1977. But Naval Sea Systems Command still picked up some bills until two years ago, another team leader said.

“We have had some support, up until two years ago,” said Cmdr. Mick Glancey, the team’s officer-in-charge. “NAVSEA had been basically paying for weapons and maintenance, [but] they lost the funding to support the small-arms program, which paid for ammunition.”

The team is made up of a couple dozen shooters, from a variety of ranks and ratings, who represent the Navy several times a year at local and regional marksmanship competitions, in addition to the major East Coast, West Coast and national fleet championships.

All participation is voluntary and on the sailor’s dime, unless you get very lucky. Some commands will grant fully funded temporary additional duty, Glancey said, but his teammates mostly get no-cost TAD. Some must use their own leave days to travel for multi-day competitions.

Entry fees can reach $500 for fleet matches. When you factor in travel, lodging and food, it really adds up, Glancey said.

“Junior sailors can’t do it,” he said in a Sept. 29 phone interview.

Sometimes, to save money, they’ll bunk in open barracks for fleet matches at the Marine bases in Quantico, Virginia, or Camp Pendleton, California.

This is a world apart from other services’ prestigious marksmanship teams. Members of the Army Marksmanship Unit or Marine Corps Shooting Team get orders to join the team as their full-time job. Soldiers from AMU routinely sweep national competitions and have represented the U.S. at every Summer Olympics the U.S. has participated in since 1960, with two dozen of them winning Olympic medals.

By contrast, Glancey said, sailors are not looking to make shooting their occupation, but some help in off-setting the costs would be much appreciated.

“In a perfect world, I’d love to see the folks that make the team get fully funded orders to go shoot,” he said.

What it takes
The Navy Marksmanship Team competes in pistol and rifle events, and sailors have to buy their own equipment and ammunition. They use 1911 .45 caliber pistols and M16 or AR15 rifles. Glancey said it costs about $6,000 just to get started.

“It’s kind of like SCUBA diving — once you’ve got all of the equipment, all you’ve got to pay for is air,” he said.

But the “air” isn’t cheap either. Once upon a time, a NAVSEA truck would show up at fleet matches loaded with 80 pistols and rifles and all the ammo they needed, but no longer.

“A lot of our sailors have basically become brass rats,” Glancey said, collecting used shell casings to reuse.

Aside from bragging rights or individual match awards, there’s some other brass that sailors can take home from the competitions. NMT sailors can earn their Navy Excellence in Competition Badges, which they can wear on their uniforms.

Walker, the EOD senior chief, believes the funding cut is a symptom of the Navy’s waning focus on marksmanship.

“The Navy, in my opinion, is less focused on marksmanship because of our technology,” he said. “However, when it comes down to it, basic marksmanship not only goes with shooting, it’s a way of life.”

Glancey has similar feelings. He’s now surface combat systems branch head at Navy Personnel Command, but he said his weapons training came in handy on an Iraq deployment.

“A lot of our guys, myself included, find ourselves doing things we never thought we would be doing in the Navy, like walking the streets in Fallujah or going through a village in Afghanistan with an M16 or a 9mm,” he said.

Even in the fleet, weapons proficiency and aim is key, he said.

“We send sailors up the sides of ships on [visit, board, search and seizure] teams,” Glancey said. “That sailor better darn well know how to use that M16 or M4 or his M9 [service pistol] when he gets over the side, because not everybody’s your friend when you get up there.”
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Problems for Navy shooting team

Post by Les Staley »

Maybe the Navy should start a video game team.. More interest? Could that get some govt funding/support? Or maybe competing in strongly worded letter contests...
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Mebbe, they could write the pre-si-dent asking fer some funds :roll:
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

UncleBuck wrote:Mebbe, they could write the pre-si-dent asking fer some funds :roll:
He'd have to take funds of from his many unconstitutional expenditures - like everything he wants to do...
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Well... ginven how shabbily even LVHS started treating the NJROTC Rifle team... (Are they even in existence any more? I can't imagine they are giving out Sports Letters for something as Ebil as SHOOTING (OMG!) like we used to do IN THE GYM... :evil: )
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

That's a shame. I was the Officer rep for the east coast team and host for the east coast championships at Damneck Va. In the mid 80s. We got ammo and free armory work. Got my shooting medals around here somewhere. Great times. Learned a lot from those shooters.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Old Ironsights wrote:Well... ginven how shabbily even LVHS started treating the NJROTC Rifle team... (Are they even in existence any more? I can't imagine they are giving out Sports Letters for something as Ebil as SHOOTING (OMG!) like we used to do IN THE GYM... :evil: )

LVHS chitcanned the entire NJROTC program a few years ago. Sent the wrong message, or something like that. :roll:
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

jnyork wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:Well... ginven how shabbily even LVHS started treating the NJROTC Rifle team... (Are they even in existence any more? I can't imagine they are giving out Sports Letters for something as Ebil as SHOOTING (OMG!) like we used to do IN THE GYM... :evil: )

LVHS chitcanned the entire NJROTC program a few years ago. Sent the wrong message, or something like that. :roll:
Not surprised. Not after I read in the Journal (back in 88/89 when I was in FRG) how they had a school lockdown because one of the Drill Team kids had the audacity to actually be seen in public going to school with his 1903A3 Drill rifle (with welded bolt and plugged breech)... OMG! The NOLSies musthave had multiple litters of kittens that day...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
medicdave
Levergunner 1.0

Post by medicdave »

Not surprising. My little brother never fired a live round in navy boot, all weapons training was laser simulators. This was at Great Lakes in 2000 iirc.
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

"Not surprising. My little brother never fired a live round in navy boot, all weapons training was laser simulators. This was at Great Lakes in 2000 iirc.y"

Small arms have never been a big priority for the Navy. I went to boot in Diego in 1969, we had to shoot to qualify with Garands which were older than any of the Boots handling them, then got to fire one magazine in the 1911 for "familiarization". Me and two other guys shot well enough with the .45 that after lunch the Marine Corporal who was proctor of the pistol range let us come back out there and help them burn up the extra mags they had. Fun to get treated as real people by the Marines because of our firearms knowledge.
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

If you are ship borne, if you need small arms there is a problem...

(A) you have been boarded by Jack Sparrow and
(B) your Marines are dead and
(C) Steven Segall is not your cook.

Now, SEABEES OTOH had better danger well be Grunt Trained at the very least... (never mind SEAL/UDT etc)
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

This is a family oriented forum... so I won't answer.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!