Recurve Bow Question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Recurve Bow Question

Post by jkbrea »

This year I shot a lot with my younger brother's PSE compound and was surprised how accurate it is. I've been wanting to take up bowhunting since I retired.
My older brother is giving me a Martin Hatfield takedown recurve bow that is brand new. It has 60# @ 28" AMO 62" hand painted on it in what looks like a gold colored paint. Each piece also has thecserial number hand painted on it. I know nothing about it. Is it a decent bow?
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Recurve Bow Question

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have never owned one but a friend has one. It is a very good bow. :D
Lassiter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Lassiter »

I have one in 60# and a set of 55# limbs as well. It's a great bow. Not so fast as a compound but a great bow, none the less. I really enjoy mine and look forward to getting back to hunting with it. I had shoulder surgery back in July and some complications since. Hopefully I'll be back shooting before bow season ends in Arkansas.
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

60# is way more than enough for bowhunting if deer is what you have in mind. Even if you are an NFL linebacker, you would be well served by 45# or 50# bow. They will kill deer and bears just as dead. I have an old Bear that I really like.

Brent
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Yes it is a good bow.
You will develop upper body strength.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

NEVER attempt to string it without a stringer.
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Mescalero wrote:NEVER attempt to string it without a stringer.
^ this is correct.

I shoot a 52# long bow... anything over 50# will keep you young!
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Picked up a Bear Kodiak Magnum 45# recurve at a garage sale for $8... They wanted $10, but, you know, ya gotta try...settled on $8.. Took it up to a traditional bow shop in Cour de Alene and he showed me one in the same shape he was asking $300 for.. Bought a string, a stringer and some arrows from him..haven't tried it yet..plan on it soon..
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

NICE bow.
I have one of those Les,saw the guy at a gun show; he had been carrying it all day, no interest.
He said $75.00 and a deal was made.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

JK, IMHO Martin makes about the best bow out there,I have 2 of them. I have a 50# and a 60# both are Vision longbows. My 60# has sent a 550 grain arrow thru the chrony at 217 fps. If you want to shoot aluminum arrows thru it try a 2016 as a starting point.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Great bow. My recurve is 60# and my longbow is 74#. The 62 is now length. Nice length. Won't pinch your fingers on a long draw length. From the beginning, force yourself to pause at FULL draw before releasing. This will teach yourself consistency. Pick your target and focus on it. Start with only as many arrows as you can pull to full draw and hold momentary. Each day will be a couple more arrows. I shoot about a 100 arrows a day this time of the year from my longbow. Enjoy.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

Your brother is a nice guy to give you that bow, as said it is a EXCELLENT bow, however it is different than a compound because you hold peak weight with no let off at full draw(which you already know). 60# is a lot to start with, take it slow(short shooting sessions) as to avoid developing bad form, if you can locate a bow around 40# to develop form, and work into the 60#er. Bad form is akin to moving a rear sight on a rifle each shot, not good for accuracy. The bow is 60# at a 28" draw, if you draw longer the weight will be more, less than 28" the weight will be less. .Good Luck
Rumble.com/ hickock45
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

rjohns94 wrote:...force yourself to pause at FULL draw before releasing.
I do that, but my daughter does not.

She has taught herself to release as soon as she reaches full draw, when her knuckle touches the reference point on her jaw. She acquires the target while drawing. That way, she is purely instinctive.

She can beat me with three arrows, about half the time.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I hear you on that and I would say after 4 decades of shooting instinctive, that I too do the same in hunting situations but when I notice my groups opening up, I go back to the drill of pausing at full draw, pick the spot, follow through. Also, the back muscles strengthen faster when they are strained dynamically and statically. The pause at full draw goes along way in early shooting to strengthen those muscles. Having shot FITA and with back release releases in compound shooting, the stronger and more powerful form is the pause method I described. Releasing immediately upon reaching anchor is instinctive and has to be developed. Lots of frustration can be eliminated if one starts out anchoring solidly, stare at a tiny spot on target and concentrate on not dropping the bow arm in follow through. Just my observations.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I miss my bow hunting :(

The only Martin bows I had were compounds and they were mustard! (Mustard= Limey English for very good :) ).

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

rjohns94 wrote:Lots of frustration can be eliminated if ...
True is that... my daughter is not one to shy away from a challenge, so she has focused on developing her purely instinctive skill. I, on the other hand, do just as you described. I intend to make a careful, one shot kill. I want to be more deliberate. I shoot bottle caps for practice.

Ok, I shoot at bottle caps. ;)

BTW, food is just a vehicle for Mustard!
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

I have an old Damon Howett I found in an old archery store years back. Original owner had painted camo on it for turkey hunting. He found holding #55 lbs a bit much so traded it in for a compound. Not much to look at in camo, I offered $45.00 if the shopkeeper would remove the camo. Picked it up a couple weeks later, has outstanding wood, beautiful. Many a good day shooting arrows until lately since tearing my rotator cuff. Be a while until I can use it again. To me a recurve or long bow is much better looking than a compound.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Nath wrote:I miss my bow hunting :(

The only Martin bows I had were compounds and they were mustard! (Mustard= Limey English for very good :) ).

N.
I was on a British forum and they got rather p...I...s...s...y when anyone brought up anything about bow hunting .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Yep, a lot of dumb idiots over here! Gotta be real sneaky sometimes!
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
mack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mack »

Nice piece of wood! What is your draw? 60# @ 28" could stack pretty high if you draw 30-31". May take some conditioning, but will be worth it. Compound guys may poke a bit of fun at you at first, but when you learn to snap shoot well with a recurve they will wet their pants, while they try to hook up their release gizmo.....
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I have the the Holy Grail........... Bear Super Magnum 55#,s @28".
So Jerry, what do you think me and it can do?
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

I have a handmade osage recurve with bamboo backing.
(Made it myself)
Draws 55 @ 28"

I dropped my first primitive deer this season. Used a cane arrow with turkey fetching and an obsidian head (125 -/+ grain)
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

wvfarrier wrote:I have a handmade osage recurve with bamboo backing.
(Made it myself)
Draws 55 @ 28"
That gets my attention.
I dropped my first primitive deer this season. Used a cane arrow with turkey fetching and an obsidian head (125 -/+ grain)
But this really is impressive. I have always wanted to do this. I may yet. In the meantime, congratulations on a deer well earned!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Awesome on the primitive deer on handmade bow and arrow. Well done.
Mike Johnson,

TWHBC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TWHBC »

wvfarrier wrote:I have a handmade osage recurve with bamboo backing.
(Made it myself)
Draws 55 @ 28"

:mrgreen: That is as close to perfect as is possible.....CONGRATULATIONS ON BOTH THE BOW AND THE ARROW! :mrgreen:
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

MacEntyre wrote:
Mescalero wrote:NEVER attempt to string it without a stringer.
^ this is correct.

I shoot a 52# long bow... anything over 50# will keep you young!
Both good pieces of advice.

Don't let anybody dry-shoot it.

I know 2 guys who have taken deer with 37# recurves. That's about the minimum for deer, though.