Happy with your Rossi 92?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Happy with your Rossi 92?

Post by Bill in Oregon »

All this talk about Rossi lever guns in .357 has me salivating. How is QC on these currently? What mods did you do to ensure smooth functioning? I would be mounting a peep.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Happy with your Rossi 92?

Post by Pete44ru »

I never had to do squat with my .357 & .45 Colt Rossi M-92's, to get smooth cycling, good accuracy & pretty good fit/function.

I elected to install a safety-replacement bolt peep on the .45, and a Williams 5D-94AE on my .357.

Image Image

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I had a SS Rossi .357 a few years back, it was reliable and accurate with factory .357 and .38spl. the action was a little stiff right out of the box but that just gave me an excuse to shoot it more. :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

NKJ's DVD has great 'smoothing' instructions.

I have handled about a dozen from past ten year production including mine and family member's, and only one bad one (454 Casual with oversize chamber - sent it back and got rebarreled one in about ten days).

Not Safe Queen material (exception - my daughter's 45 Colt brass/octagon has best wood of ANY rifle I own), but solid working/hunting guns.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Thanks for reminding me about Nate's DVD! Will order if I buy a 92.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Thanks for reminding me about Nate's DVD! Will order if I buy a 92.
You must.

Do both.

I think Rossi has been watching Nate's DVD, too, as the current Rossis are better than they have been in the past, but the DVD is still a must, and get an ejector spring and SS follower while you are at it.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

To begin with I was somewhat reluctant to try a Rossi, many negative reviews, was looking for a Marlin 1894c, but couldn't find one at a decent price so I purchased a Rossi R92 in .357mag, 20" barrel, blue, with a saddle-ring (going Mule Deer hunting with it next week). I've had no issues with it at all, very reliable and accurate, actually more accurate than my Marlin 1894c that I was stupid enough to let go (have shot over 450+ rnds in the Rossi to date).

Over at the "Rossi Riflemen Forum" they suggest that you clean it good and cycle the action 500 times to smooth it out, I didn't need to do that. The wood/metal fit and finish on mine was good...the wood looks like it came from a high quality pallet, just saying that because it's not walnut. As others have stated it's not a fancy rifle, just a poor man's 1892 clone, but the basic 1892 model is turning out to be my favorite levergun design...looking to get a second Rossi in .357mag. with a 16" bbl...and talked to somebody this week about an original 1892 Winchester in 38/40... :)

P.S.--I bought the following two items from Steve's Gunz (Nate Kiowa Jones)--see attached photos...
Button Style Safety Replacement Plug.jpg
Mag-FollowerX (1).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Mine was a QC nightmare as of 2012.

An LGS rep reported to me about two months ago that it had gotten better, but heresay is heresay. Realguns did a two part article on their 454 line and covers the more common issues. I think that was mid 2013ish. Sadly, the affordable pistol caliber carbine market had continued to shrink and rossi is probably your best option these days.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

1892, I blame you for starting me down this twisted path with your talk of hunting mulies with your 92 in .357!
My biggest dilemma will be whether to get the 16 or the 20-inch barrel. Then it is off to NOE for that 180-grain WFN mold.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Bill in Oregon wrote:1892, I blame you for starting me down this twisted path with your talk of hunting mulies with your 92 in .357!
My biggest dilemma will be whether to get the 16 or the 20-inch barrel. Then it is off to NOE for that 180-grain WFN mold.
Quality nonwithstanding, I gotta say the 16in barrel made for a super portable package in my brief ownership. It was stupid light weight, too.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Panzercat wrote:
Bill in Oregon wrote:1892, I blame you for starting me down this twisted path with your talk of hunting mulies with your 92 in .357!
Quality nonwithstanding, I gotta say the 16in barrel made for a super portable package in my brief ownership. It was stupid light weight, too.
I'd go for the 16" and if you order a second one, get the 24". No need for the 'compromise' 20"...
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

5 years ago I bought a new 45 colt Rifle in the Rossi, ive run bout 2000 rounds through it
so its pretty well slicked up along with a bunch of dry cycles, my biggest gripe is the stock
warped to the right & im gonna fix that some day

ollogger
zack coyote
Levergunner 1.0

Post by zack coyote »

I have three of them in .45 Colt. A 16", 20", and 24" octagon. My wife has a .357 stainless in 20". Hers has Nate's ejector spring, and mag follower. My guns have all the mods from Nate's DVD. The 16" is as handy as a handgun, and is my go to gun. The 24" shoots the best, and carries my mind back to simpler times. I have three 30-30's and a 45-70, but these Rossi's are my favorites. Not the prettiest, but keep them cleaned and oiled and they'll do the job. My oldest is 14 years old, and still works and shoots just fine. I'd rather have a 16" Rossi in .357, than an EBR.
We'll be remembered for what we've done, not what we have.
www.johndietzstudio.com
Richardx
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Richardx »

My SS in .45 Colt 20" has turned my great-grandfather's 1897 model in .32 Win Special into a safe queen.
Buy one now! Get Nate's DVD, SS mag spring and follower and try to wear it out! :D
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I have had a old Winchester 1892 32wcf rifle since 1954. I have always wanted a 92 .357. So when a good friend offered me his in 2007 for 200 bucks I jumped on it. It is a blue 20"SRC,I ordered Steve's video and an ejector spring. When it was finally all back together it was and is a real fine little carbine, .38 and .357 158 grain swc loads work just fine. It is a good carrying woods rifle and rides in my old saddle scabbard in the truck when we have to make the 100 mile trip south to Little Rock. Then it is full of 158grain XTP loads. The gun was about 10 years old when I got it and had 10 rounds fired through it, it's an Interarms Rossi I like it!!!!!!!!!!!
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Here's a little something, to help you get on down the road to Nirvana.......... :mrgreen:

Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

My .45 Colt Rossi has been flawless in every regard. Strictly based on personal preference, I replaced the plastic cartridge follower with steel and the bolt safety with Nate Kiowa Jones's plug. Fit, finish, action smoothness, trigger, accuracy -- no complaints whatsoever.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

There are 3 in my safe, 2 .357s and a .45Colt... let's just say that ain't any of them for sale.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
veeman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by veeman »

I have 2 older Rossi's, both pre-safety. The older one is a 44-40 tac driver and is my main SASS shooter, have not had one single blip in the 15 plus years I've had it. A SRC that I cut the stock flat and added 1" pad, feels much better with that bit of LOP. I use .428 bullets with this rifle, hits every time.
The other is a .38/357, also very accurate. This one loves .38's, but not so much the .357's, but that's ok.
Both had action jobs, slick as a whistle.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Bought mine in 07(?) from Nate. Pre-slicked and no safety. No i have had no issues, Yes, I'm happy Image with it. :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
mark08
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark08 »

Got mine from pawn shop..... A 1980? Rossi src 357 20" Interarms import, Many on the forum me gave good advice.. I ordered Nate's Dvd & spring kit plus a bullseye sight and have no complaints. Nor have any number of coyotes complained. Runs smooth shots straight. Grab you one.
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

zack coyote wrote:I have three of them in .45 Colt. A 16", 20", and 24" octagon. My wife has a .357 stainless in 20". Hers has Nate's ejector spring, and mag follower. My guns have all the mods from Nate's DVD. The 16" is as handy as a handgun, and is my go to gun. The 24" shoots the best, and carries my mind back to simpler times. I have three 30-30's and a 45-70, but these Rossi's are my favorites. Not the prettiest, but keep them cleaned and oiled and they'll do the job. My oldest is 14 years old, and still works and shoots just fine. I'd rather have a 16" Rossi in .357, than an EBR.
You said something there that rings true with me, about being more confident with a good levergun than an "evil black rifle". I am far more comfortable with a levergun, especially in a high stress situation, probably in the dark, than I am with one of my ARs. The same goes for a revolver compared to a semi auto handgun, for me.

Same thing goes for hunting, it's all but impossible for me to silently, or even quietly chamber a round in an AR or SA handgun. Not so for a levergun, bolt gun, or revolver.

I have a lot of lever guns, Brownings, Marlins, Winchesters, and Rossi's. I have a pair of stainless Rossi 92 trappers, a 357 and a 44 that are my go to long guns. My favorite for hunting is a Marlin 45-70.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

And that's why everyone has their favorites, Warhawk.....

I'm the exact opposite. While I like leverguns, I "grew up" on bolt action military rifles, and am most comfortable hunting with a bolt gun.

I've spent my entire adult life with the M16 family of weapons, and the only reason I'm not carrying one on duty at the moment is I have to wait for the next qualifying class in a few weeks. So to me, in a high stress situation (among many) having an M4 or M16 at hand is completely natural. While I'd do fine with a lever, having spent nearly 19 years with an M16 or AR close by means I know what I reach for first....

I still wouldn't mind a Rossi though.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Bill in Oregon -- don't blame me, blame this forum (ok blame me I can take it)...I have been thinking retirement and was looking for a caliber that I could, within reason, Mule Deer/hog/coyote hunt, would be cheap to reload, a caliber that I could find at Wal-Mart, and recoil my wife can handle.

After searching the archives of this forum (and a few articles) I came to the conclusion that the .357 Magnum would
be a good choice...BILL, just jump off the cliff... :)

Pre-Retirement cartridge choices:
1). .357mag/.38spl (rifle and pistol)
2). 9mm (auto-pistol)
3). .22cal (rifle and pistol)
4). Keeping reloading components simple.
Last edited by 1894c on Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Warhawk wrote: Same thing goes for hunting, it's all but impossible for me to silently, or even quietly chamber a round in an AR or SA handgun.
On the right side of your AR is a small, round button. It's officially called a forward assist, and most people say it is useless, but every sniper knows that it is actually a silent bolt-closer. :D

As far as the other stuff, it is just a matter of balancing training, experience, and practicality. An AR for me is the most practical system - I have trained and fought with that system. It mounts optics easily and carries easily at the ready on a sling, reloads fast, and has a good magazine capacity.

However, I like leverguns most, and I am also very quick and comfortable with them. AR is my first choice for defense against humans. Against animals - depends on the situation whether I carry an AR or a lever gun.

However, an AR is not practical for legal reasons in some places, and my smaller children can run a lever gun when they don't have the strength to charge an AR.

If you have not really trained with an AR (and don't confuse simple range time with training) then you will likely be more effective with a lever gun that you are comfortable with.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

I recently got to handle one of the new BrazTec Rossi '92's in 44mag with a 24" barrel that a buddy of mine bought off GunBroker slightly used. The previous owner had installed Steve's safety plug and ejector spring and maybe done some polishing of the internals so I can't really comment about how smooth the gun was out of the box, but it was plenty smooth when Bob got it. I would say that the wood to metal fit was several steps above what I expect on a Rossi, on par with my Miroku's and Uberti's....excellent throughout the gun and accuracy was fine, less than 2" from the bench with iron sights, (and aging eyes) at 100yds with both 200 and 240 grain factory ammo we had lying around.

I grew up with mainly lever and pump guns so I'm pretty much at home with them in my hands, but if things turn dark I'll be reaching for my AR15 if given a choice. Back in the mid-70's, Uncle Sam's Army insisted that I become intimate with the M16A1, and I bought my first of many AR's two days after receiving my DD214. Although I never had to fight with one, I've road many a mile in a patrol car with one beside me and can only wish I had back half the rounds I've fired training with one. I agree wholeheartedly with 7.62 Precisions post about AR's and their versatility and virtues as a defensive arm, and with the market being temporarily glutted and prices lower than I've seen them since the early 80's I think good advice would be to pick one, or more, up now because this condition isn't going to last forever.

Having said that I'm not going to throw down the lever gun in my hands, until it's empty, to pick up an AR if someone's shooting at me.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

1892 wrote:
Bill in Oregon -- don't blame me, blame this forum (ok blame me I can take it)...I have been thinking retirement and was looking for a caliber that I could, within reason, Mule Deer/hog/coyote hunt, would be cheap to reload, a caliber that I could find at Wal-Mart, and recoil my wife can handle.

After searching the archives of this forum (and a few articles) I came to the conclusion that the .357 Magnum would
be a good choice...BILL, just jump off the cliff... :)

Pre-Retirement cartridge choices:
1). .357mag/.38spl (rifle and pistol)
2). 9mm (auto-pistol)
3). .22cal (rifle and pistol)
4). Keeping reloading components simple.
I like your thinking 8)

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

My NKJ .357 Trapper is still pretty much my favorite long gun; get one and you will not regret it.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Thanks to my enabling brethren here, I ordered a 16-incher with big loop from Bud's, and a DVD, spring and follower from Nate Kiowa Jones.
Now, in the event of a sudden divorce, who will offer a couch to sleep on?

:lol:
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

In exchange for a barely used 16" Rossi 92? How long would you need the couch?
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

I have an early Rossi Puma 92 in 45 Colt with 24" half octagon barrel. I put a Lyman #2 tang sight on it. It's a great shooter.

The only problem I have with it is the barrel length... would prefer to have a 20" barrel or shorter, but it would look funny with a short round section at the end of the octagon.
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

MrMurphy wrote:And that's why everyone has their favorites, Warhawk.....

I'm the exact opposite. While I like leverguns, I "grew up" on bolt action military rifles, and am most comfortable hunting with a bolt gun.

I've spent my entire adult life with the M16 family of weapons, and the only reason I'm not carrying one on duty at the moment is I have to wait for the next qualifying class in a few weeks. So to me, in a high stress situation (among many) having an M4 or M16 at hand is completely natural. While I'd do fine with a lever, having spent nearly 19 years with an M16 or AR close by means I know what I reach for first....

I still wouldn't mind a Rossi though.
I'm very familiar with bolt guns too, but they are kind of like plastic pistols to me, a tool without any soul. :D

I was Air Force, we barely got enough firearms training to know which end the round came out of. Many years later I got into the ARs pretty heavy, and built 12-15 of them. I never really warmed up to the 223 cartridge, too much time spent reading Elmer Keith in my youth I suppose.

My three favorite types of firearms are Smith & Wesson revolvers, leverguns, and side by side shotguns.
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

7.62 Precision wrote:
Warhawk wrote: Same thing goes for hunting, it's all but impossible for me to silently, or even quietly chamber a round in an AR or SA handgun.
On the right side of your AR is a small, round button. It's officially called a forward assist, and most people say it is useless, but every sniper knows that it is actually a silent bolt-closer. :D

As far as the other stuff, it is just a matter of balancing training, experience, and practicality. An AR for me is the most practical system - I have trained and fought with that system. It mounts optics easily and carries easily at the ready on a sling, reloads fast, and has a good magazine capacity.

However, I like leverguns most, and I am also very quick and comfortable with them. AR is my first choice for defense against humans. Against animals - depends on the situation whether I carry an AR or a lever gun.

However, an AR is not practical for legal reasons in some places, and my smaller children can run a lever gun when they don't have the strength to charge an AR.

If you have not really trained with an AR (and don't confuse simple range time with training) then you will likely be more effective with a lever gun that you are comfortable with.
See my previous post, I like the AR platform, lots of fun to shoot. But I guess I read too much Elmer Keith. My favorite handgun is a four inch S&W 44 Magnum, and my most often used big game rifle is a 338 win mag. (Although I haven't fired it in years).
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I was also Air Force......the guys who got a lot of guns, and a while never enough rounds to train as much as we'd like, far, far more than the rest of the USAF (probably all put together).

We trained (dry) at least 2 hours per day on a good day, 1 hour per day on a busy day, and patrolled the rest of the time.

Toss in Army ROTC time, civilian training time, etc....i've probably got more rounds through the AR series than any other weapon on earth that isn't belt-fed, at least for myself. :)

I wouldn't turn down a 92 in an emergency, but it would be about fifth on my list of things to pick up.

For angry bears it'd be a toss up between the 870 with slugs and a .45-70 personally.
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

I was an aircraft maintenance troop, F-15 avionics. After firing an ancient Colt AR-15 in basic with a 22 adapter, we had to "qualify" once a year with the M16 to maintain our deployment ready status.

I did get to qualify with the M-60 at Bitburg, brand new NCO and I got stuck with security police augmentee duty. But It allowed me to shoot the M-60. I was also qualified with the S&W 38 revolver.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Warhawk wrote:I . I was also qualified with the S&W 38 revolver.
I think your the madman who , with a random post on AR15.com, turned me onto that gun shop in Lewisville TX who cost me $800 bucks plus shipping :lol: --- I am now getting re-aquainted with the S&W 38 revolver too as a result (i bought 4 model 64's --eek )

Great results, and great people to deal with :)
----- Doug
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

MrMurphy wrote: For angry bears it'd be a toss up between the 870 with slugs and a .45-70 personally.
.45-70, .50 Beowulf, OR . . . . .454 in a model 92! :D
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

Streetstar wrote:
Warhawk wrote:I . I was also qualified with the S&W 38 revolver.
I think your the madman who , with a random post on AR15.com, turned me onto that gun shop in Lewisville TX who cost me $800 bucks plus shipping :lol: --- I am now getting re-aquainted with the S&W 38 revolver too as a result (i bought 4 model 64's --eek )

Great results, and great people to deal with :)
Sporting Arms? Good folks for sure, does she still have that little bitty dog?

Elmer Keith got me hooked on Smith & Wessons a long time ago.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

My Rossi 92 in .480 has never once failed. It is smooth enough for me, but it is not as smooth as an older Winchester. No matter.

I can close the bolt on an AR very quietly as long as I can slide the charging handle backwards without much sound. Yes, the forward assist is used to seat the bolt fully forward and cause the lugs to cam into position so that it can fire. I can also use my Ruger P85 9mm very quietly. I usually keep it loaded with 1 in the chamber and the hammer down on safe. All I have to do is move the safety and start pulling the trigger. I have double action revolvers that can be used quickly, too. My pump action shotgun is probably the loudest of all my firearms to make it ready to defend my family with.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
southfork
Levergunner 2.0

Post by southfork »

Pillar, those Rossi 92's in 480 Ruger aren't easy to find are they? I don't think that they made too many of them. Have you done any big game hunting with yours? Any success?
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

About the only things I would ever want to do/add to my 92 would be to make it a TD and thread it for a suppressor...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Warhawk wrote:You said something there that rings true with me, about being more confident with a good levergun than an "evil black rifle". I am far more comfortable with a levergun, especially in a high stress situation, probably in the dark, than I am with one of my ARs.
That's why if I have to go out to investigate something at night on our small farm, I grab this Rossi...

The only difference since the photo is I found a black colored flashlight, and lower 30mm rings with which to mount it.

It's one of three 'Night Scout' rifles I have made - Link to Night Scout thread

Here's a target I shot at 50 yards at midnight a few years back:
Old Ironsights wrote:About the only things I would ever want to do/add to my 92 would be to make it a TD and thread it for a suppressor...
I've not got a suppressor for 45 caliber, but my Mystic would go nicely on a 357 Mag, and I've thought about that. To keep it short and handy, I'd want to go the extra mile and get the barrel shortened so I'd have to do the 'SBR' paperwork unlike our Canadian brethren, but a 12" barreled 357 Mag would be just the ticket shooting 180 grainers at about 1000 fps.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

AJ: Shooting targets at midnight? Just where in Hoosierland do you live?

:lol:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

southfork wrote:Pillar, those Rossi 92's in 480 Ruger aren't easy to find are they? I don't think that they made too many of them. Have you done any big game hunting with yours? Any success?
I have shot a couple of wild pigs with it, and they were DRT. I did use it on a hybrid Water Buffalo/Cape Buffalo at Action Outdoor Adventures. That is the ranch near Hondo, TX that is used as a group hunt destination by 86er. I was using 400 grain Hornady JSP bullets and the penetration was almost all the way from left side to right side. I cracked a tooth on a bullet stuck in the inside of a rib. Getting the bullet out of the rib took a pair of pliers. I really like the .480 in the 92 since it is handy and slim. I can carry it easily and it holds 9+1, and it can be loaded or unloaded by the screw threaded plunger and follower part of the magazine. I can load it like a .22 or load it like a .30-30 and it is as accurate as I can possibly shoot. I did have to put a limbsaver recoil pad on it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

southfork wrote:Pillar, those Rossi 92's in 480 Ruger aren't easy to find are they?
Used to be a Rossi 92 Trapper in Ruger 480 in my safe... then my father sold it. Wish he hadn't done that! I thought it would have a hard recoil, but it did not. I liked it a lot.
jdt
Levergunner

Post by jdt »

A little late to the discussion, but my 92 in 45 Colt has served me well. It WAS stiff out of the box. I got Steve's excellent video and did everything on there except I could not get the get the punch pin out of the ejector so I wasn't able to replace the spring. Ruined three punches trying. However, it is really smooth now. Much smoother than my Winchester '94 (but what isn't?) and it takes anything I feed it, including stuff my Winchester won't.

Only other problem was the rear sight was WAY off. I couldn't come close to hitting the target at first and it was a bear to get it to move. Finally after hitting it so hard that I feared I would knock it out completely, it moved just enough that it is almost right on now (1" left at 50 yards).

For the money it is a great buy and with some attention appears to be capable of becoming a great gun. The stock is some weird scratchy wood though and that safety on the top is an abomination.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Warhawk wrote:
I was an aircraft maintenance troop, F-15 avionics. After firing an ancient Colt AR-15 in basic with a 22 adapter, we had to "qualify" once a year with the M16 to maintain our deployment ready status.

At about the end of my 4-year hitch as a USAF aircraft maintainence troop, when it was first introduced into the US arsenal (1966), alsoI had to qualify with the M-16.

I really didn't like the then new-to-me plastic stock, which transmitted the "boing" of the spring inside, making it seem like a toy.

Since then, I won't touch an AR with a 10' pole.

I got into leverguns a few months after my discharge, and have always had at least one (usually 3-4) - but, since I'm an equal-opportunity shooter, also like/owned just about any other type of non-military firearm (except for the 1911 pistol, of course).

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

jdt wrote:Only other problem was the rear sight was WAY off. I couldn't come close to hitting the target at first and it was a bear to get it to move. Finally after hitting it so hard that I feared I would knock it out completely, it moved just enough that it is almost right on now (1" left at 50 yards).
Consider using a Williams FP site. They are easy to install (I posted a thread here on it a couple years ago). They equate to about a 4x scope to me, in terms of increased accuracy versus regular 'open' sights anyway.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Like my Rossi 92, .357 just fine. No complaints. Picked up some things from Steve, and therefore made it great instead of just very good.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Like my Rossi 92, .357 just fine. No complaints. Picked up some things from Steve, and therefore made it great instead of just very good.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.