NEW from RUGER

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

NEW from RUGER

Post by Rusty »

They've been making a lot of noise about it. Now another new AR.

http://ruger.com/products/ar556/models.html
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: NEW from RUGER

Post by Grizz »

can't wait to see it at wal-mart :lol:
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Looks like a DI rifle in a good basic configuration and a 1/8 twist barrel. Not bad at all.

I still like their SA revolvers better! :lol:
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Another AR?

I haven't owned one in almost twenty years and have felt like a fairly well adjusted, normal guy.

Now I'm starting to wonder, should I get one to put in the closet with a shoebox of "rail accessories" so I can say I'm a normal, functioning member of society? :lol:

Seems like everyone and their six year old daughter has three or four. I'm starting to get a complex and feel very insecure. :roll:

Am I less of a man cause I have an M1 and like 30 caliber service rifles? Please help me. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Looks like one for a "budget minded" commando -- suggested retail is 150 bucks less than the retail on the cheapest Mini 14

750 retail means a $650- $675 real world price --- thats not bad

I'd rather see both the 96 leverguns re-introduced(this time one in .45) , or the PC pistol caliber carbine series ( was an overgrown 10/11 chambered in 9mm and .40 ) than another new AR,

but hey, i guess they are listening to the public
----- Doug
Gascozark
Levergunner

Post by Gascozark »

Seems a little late to the party. Most stores that I've been in the last few months have more AR's than they know what to do with.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

OldWin wrote:
Am I less of a man cause I have an M1 and like 30 caliber service rifles? Please help me. :D
OldWin -- I'm here to validate your manhood...you don't need no stickin' EBR, that classic M1 qualifies as a real man's service weapon that real men used to fight real man-sized wars (my Dad was issued that rifle in WWII)...as for me I have only leverguns, but do not feel any lessor of a man... NOW interpretative dancing to new-age techno-music can get your man-card revoked... :)
h5EC75C11.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 1894c on Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Gascozark wrote:Seems a little late to the party. Most stores that I've been in the last few months have more AR's than they know what to do with.
That was my first thought. ARs are cheaper now than ever. Ruger is usally good quality, but I doubt it's any better than my Rock River
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Oh look, another AR.

(yawn)

I'm thinkin' the black rifle craze peaked about six months/a year ago and we're on the backside right now.

There are a lot of custom guns for sale on the boards and they're stacking them up on tables at the shows.

Ruger had to have done the marketing research, but I've no idea why they bothered.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have an AR, but I still prefer my lever action firearms. I am planning on getting a .50 Beowulf upper for it, and then it might be a real hunting caliber. All I have ever used a .223 for is punching holes in paper and shooting prairie dogs. I punched holes in paper in the Army with that caliber. Even if Ruger is making one, I am not buying another.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
1894c

Post by 1894c »

piller wrote:
.50 Beowulf
that's a great choice...I have a buddy who just did the same thing... :)
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

1892 wrote:
OldWin wrote:
OldWin -- I'm here to validate your manhood...you don't need no stickin' EBR, that classic M1 qualifies as a real man's service weapon that real men used to fight real man-sized wars (my Dad was issued that rifle in WWII)...as for me I have only leverguns, but do not feel any lessor of a man... :)
h5EC75C11.jpg

I moderately agree in theory and i know your response was tongue in cheek -- but i will remind that the M-16/AR15 series have been involved in "men's skirmishes" since the mid 60's (close to 50 years ) ---- A heckuva lot longer than such legendary firearms as the M-1 (all variants), the M-14 and others

plastic and aluminum can be mildly irritating from a traditional perspective, ---- but i also dont feel any less of a man for having a couple
----- Doug
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Thanks 1892. :D

Streetstar,
You are right of course, but I will point out that in most all of those wars the "obsolete" M14 was there to fill a role the M16 couldn't. It's role and use is limited, but it is still there.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Well, fudge. Ruger finally brought out a rifle I want. It doesn't have a carry handle or bayonet lug, but check out that 30 rd mag. I'll bet old Bill Ruger is flipping in his grave at that. LOL :D .

I've wanted a short barrel AR with the collapsible stock for years, but never could afford the prices.
This one looks to be on the affordable side. Or will be in a couple years when the rush to buy them is waned.

This time I think Ruger might just have scored a hit.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

It took them a while, but if the quality is near Colt level, Ruger may just be aiming for the LE market.

A lot of cops know Ruger, and a lot of administrators wouldn't turn one down.

Not everyone wants a piston gun, especially a front heavy one like the SR556. So them making a standard DI gun makes sense. They might not sell millions, but a lot of regular-guy shooters who own other Ruger products would probably buy one before, say a BCM, Stag, etc. Brands they don't know (even if they are superior quality, like BCM or Noveske).
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Streetstar wrote:
1892 wrote:
OldWin wrote:
OldWin -- I'm here to validate your manhood...you don't need no stickin' EBR, that classic M1 qualifies as a real man's service weapon that real men used to fight real man-sized wars (my Dad was issued that rifle in WWII)...as for me I have only leverguns, but do not feel any lessor of a man... :)
h5EC75C11.jpg

I moderately agree in theory and i know your response was tongue in cheek -- but i will remind that the M-16/AR15 series have been involved in "men's skirmishes" since the mid 60's (close to 50 years ) ---- A heckuva lot longer than such legendary firearms as the M-1 (all variants), the M-14 and others

plastic and aluminum can be mildly irritating from a traditional perspective, ---- but i also dont feel any less of a man for having a couple
I have nothing but respect for the AR15 Platform...every LEO in the Agency I serve has one, most ride in the position that the shotgun use to occupy and we qualify with them twice a year...and as we speak I have one being built... :)
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Nice looking rifle at a fair price. :wink:
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Been following Ruger since 1972 and one thing is for sure, while the Smiths and Colts have those nicely crafted nostalgic lines, nothing outlasts a Ruger.....a real deal "meat and potatoes" gun.

My son has been playing with one of their .308 AR's for the better part of the year with a wide variety of handloads and he tells me he can't get none of them to shoot bad. In fact, this year he is leaving (much to my dismay) his 1886 at home and will be using his new Ruger 308 for elk. He says those Barnes TTST or whatever the letters are, shoot like match bullets.

I hope Ruger does well, we sure as heck don't need the foreign enterprises gobbling up the AR market like they did with everything else.----6
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I could go for one. I have always liked Ruger's guns. Glad to see a blue collar model.

I don't know if I agree with Joe that prices will continue to fall for a couple more years. If hrc gets the baton the poop is gonna hit the propeller.

Still ruminating.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

1892 wrote:
piller wrote:
.50 Beowulf
that's a great choice...I have a buddy who just did the same thing... :)
My uppers:
  • 223 piston shorty with Trek suppressor & iron sights

223 HBAR scoped with 45 degree backup irons, Trek optional

300 Blk lightweight 16" with irons, Mystic suppressor optional

50 Beowulf 16" with red dot scope

338 Lapua single-shot Zell/Mossberg
Maybe soon a dedicated pistol lower for an 8" 300 Blk barrel and optional Mystic...

...can't think of anything else I would really need...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I just got contacted by a shop I know. They are getting several in tomorrow. I can have one for $700.

I think I'll have to wait a bit though.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.