Bad day for Coyote!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Bad day for Coyote!

Post by Dusty Texian »

Caught these two Coyote in the (No Coyote Zone) my ranch! So gave them a Spanking with the .222 Bad day for the Coyote !,,,DT Image
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Bad day for Coyote!

Post by gamekeeper »

That'll put a smile on Roadrunners face........Beep beep!
The .222 is fairly common over here but I don't hear it mentioned much in the USA, is it common over there?
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

game keeper wrote:That'll put a smile on Roadrunners face........Beep beep!
The .222 is fairly common over here but I don't hear it mentioned much in the USA, is it common over there?
The .222 is not a popular as it once was ,but still as good as it ever was.I think the .223 had a hand in pushing the .222 aside. I have great respect for the little .222 ,very accurate and is easy on the powder supply.,,,DT
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

My Rem. 788 came from the factory as a .222 and was soon reamed out to .223.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

"Somethings just look better dead" quote from Sixgun, Ive got them in packs around here and they have been taking down fawns and deer in the hay fields soon as their fur is prime I will start calling them. I can always tell if they are pressuring the deer as they will be kegged up in the pasture next to the house course they will also do that when the wolves are around too. Good luck with your pest problems. danny
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Thanks Danny! You saved me the energy of typing that out!

That picture is very nice! Good work!--------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Dusty Texian wrote:
The .222 is not a popular as it once was ,but still as good as it ever was.I think the .223 had a hand in pushing the .222 aside. I have great respect for the little .222 ,very accurate and is easy on the powder supply.,,,DT
Yep, the. 223 killed the triple duce.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

love 222 8)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Always liked the looks of a coyote hanging around like that.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Nath wrote:love 222 8)

Same here!!

My Dad gave me a Sako .222 with a Weaver K10 on it for my 16th birthday after I complained I didn't
have a varmint rifle to help my cousin Johnny thin out the woodchucks on his farm. :D

I don't use it much these days but there was a time that if I could see it what ever it was it was toast.
My best shot ever was with that rifle. With a Harris bipod attached I hit a woodchuck at 462 paces.
That little 50 grain SP turned that sucker into a pink mist even at that distance.

I think I might have to go shooting tomorrow. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

2ndovc wrote:
Nath wrote:love 222 8)

Same here!!

My Dad gave me a Sako .222 with a Weaver K10 on it for my 16th birthday after I complained I didn't
have a varmint rifle to help my cousin Johnny thin out the woodchucks on his farm. :D

I don't use it much these days but there was a time that if I could see it what ever it was it was toast.
My best shot ever was with that rifle. With a Harris bipod attached I hit a woodchuck at 462 paces.
That little 50 grain SP turned that sucker into a pink mist even at that distance.

I think I might have to go shooting tomorrow. :D

jb 8)
funny you say that! I did a vixen at 388 paces with a 222. A Speer 52 HPBT just starting at 2850fps. Would probably pass on it now!

N 8)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

2 thumbs up! :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

222 is a fine cartridge had a 722 in that cal had a 26" bull barrel topped with a steel 6x varmint weaver gave it to my BIL he re-chambered it to 223, it will shoot up to 55 gr just fine with the 1-14 barrel he has been cleaning out coyotes and rock chucks along with the occasional speed goat. danny
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Never did know the twist on my 788, but Speer 63 grain exposed lead soft point was the heaviest .224 I could find in my area.
It shot them fine.
788 was a strong action.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Nice shooting.
like others said 223 pretty well knocked it out. those who have a 222 will not part with them. I have a 10" contender in 222. it sends a 46gr JHP out the barrel 2700fps with a nice little fireball.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

BigSky56 wrote:222 is a fine cartridge had a 722 in that cal had a 26" bull barrel topped with a steel 6x varmint weaver gave it to my BIL he re-chambered it to 223, it will shoot up to 55 gr just fine with the 1-14 barrel he has been cleaning out coyotes and rock chucks along with the occasional speed goat. danny
3leggedturtle wrote:
Nice shooting.
like others said 223 pretty well knocked it out. those who have a 222 will not part with them. I have a 10" contender in 222. it sends a 46gr JHP out the barrel 2700fps with a nice little fireball.
Those 722's are tack drivers along with the 788,mine is a 1980's era 700 ADL,trigger down @ 2lb. she is a tack driver with 50gr. Sierra .Three leg that 10" barrel should have a bit of a crack to it Pard! DT.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Yep sure looks like a bad day to me, for the coyote any ways!

ollogger
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Punching holes in coyotes is one of my favorite things.

Left 'em strung out all over the Big Bend north of Terlingua this summer.

:mrgreen:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Dusty Texian wrote:
BigSky56 wrote:222 is a fine cartridge had a 722 in that cal had a 26" bull barrel topped with a steel 6x varmint weaver gave it to my BIL he re-chambered it to 223, it will shoot up to 55 gr just fine with the 1-14 barrel he has been cleaning out coyotes and rock chucks along with the occasional speed goat. danny
3leggedturtle wrote:
Nice shooting.
Those 722's are tack drivers along with the 788,mine is a 1980's era 700 ADL,trigger down @ 2lb. she is a tack driver with 50gr. Sierra .Three leg that 10" barrel should have a bit of a crack to it Pard! DT.
Didn't seem any worse than a 357 out of a 10" bbl.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

And what ever happened to 222M?
Never ever seen one over here!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

The .222Magnum is not very common here . The .223 and the 22-250 are the most common .22 centerfire rounds ,that I see. The old 22-250 can reach out and touch them,and is very accurate . I have an old Remington 700 BDL Varmint special bull barrel that has fired thousands of handloads and is still very accurate .That rifle likes the 53gr. Sierra Spitzer Boatail. I have sent some varmints too the Promised Land with that old rifle . But it sure has gotten heavy the last few yrs. ,,,DT
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

This Prarie Wolf met his end with the 22-250 53gr Sierra sbt VarImagemint Special @ 322yd.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

As long as this did degenerate into a bit of "what killed the .222", does anyone have any idea why they reinvented the wheel with the .223? Seems the .222 mag is darned near identical.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Jeepnik it was submitted to be the round for the M16 but didnt make it at 50K psi compared to the 223 at 55K psi, it now is necked down and is the 204 ruger. The military likes new rifles with new cartridges not handme downs. danny
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

BigSky56 wrote:Jeepnik it was submitted to be the round for the M16 but didnt make it at 50K psi compared to the 223 at 55K psi, it now is necked down and is the 204 ruger. The military likes new rifles with new cartridges not handme downs. danny
In other words, they just want to spend more money reinventing the wheel.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad