back to the riot and hi-cap subject

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

back to the riot and hi-cap subject

Post by Grizz »

I handled a couple of AR-15 pistols and an AK pistol at a lgs. The AK is much shorter than the AR, but heavier. The AR won't swing well inside a vehicle. Either is legal in the vehicle under current law.

So in the revolution of the slow grey cell the thought slipped out that a high cap 9mm hand gun is much much easier to operate inside the car, is totally legal so far, and makes the midnight run to the airport a more comfortable ride. I might buy another xd9sc for my wife to carry in case we have to walk home.

The fly in the ointment is that the promags get bad marks in internet opinions as unreliable on the xd forum. I'm waiting on the mag order until I wring out the promags I bought for my baretta mag-well sub2k. The 17 round mag that came with the carbine is reliable, so that's the on that lives in there. That's the update from here'bouts.

The looter-rioter class is still active in various places. Try to avoid the swarm of locusts.

Grizz
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Re: back to the riot and hi-cap subject

Post by Malamute »

I agree, regular pistols are much easier to use in a vehicle, if not dealing with an entire wall of zombies(rioters).

The 33 rd Glock mags work well. Having a couple of them on hand along with a handful of regular mags should help forestall running out of ammo at inopportune moments.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Redacted
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

For most situations short of a full-out zombie-attack, one (or two) double-stack handguns with a bunch of magazines is more than enough, though there is little merit in just having 'enough' when bad things happen.

However, there is definitely a 'cool-factor' with some of the semiauto sub-gun-looking AR's and so on in 'pistol' format. Since I've never had a pod of zombies ambush me, I don't know whether I'd do better with an AR-15, or for that matter an M1A, vs. just a pair of 1911's and bunch of loaded magazines. Hope never to find out, actually.

Definitely the pistols are more practical and compact and discrete.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Since my gun fund has it's (real low) limits I opt for the high cap pistols. Glocks for me. The last line in the docs post covers it all.

Cat
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Yeah, for inside a vehicle, a pistol works better, but for shooting out of a vehicle a carbine or AR pistol is easier to stabilize, and it is better if you have to travel on foot (barricades, disabled vehicle, etc.)

I would assume a pistol would be carried anyway, and used for fighting in or at the windows of the vehicle if necessary, and the carbine or AR pistol would be carried in the vehicle for use in fighting from the vehicle, or in case the vehicle had to be left behind.

I do not trust Pro-Mag magazines, for the most part.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I wouldn't take a Pro-Mag if it was free, except for range training in malfunctions.

I absolutely will NOT recommend them for any serious use. Ever.

For a Beretta 92, "PB" (Pietro Beretta) factory mags, MDS (also factory under a different name) and Mec-Gar are all I'd use for serious work.

Airtronic GI contract mags aren't bad to have around, and are a major improvement over the Checkmate "trying to get us all killed" M9 mags of the last 10-15 years. We got Airtronic replacements while deployed in '07, so they've been out a while with few major issues I have heard of.

A pistol is certainly easier to hide, and shoot in tight spots. A rifle is easier to fight with and more effective. Do what you have to in your situation. For most a pistol and 2 reloads is fine. For riots an extra 3 would be handy,
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

point taken about the carbines. the biggest advantage I see for surviving a block party is capacity.

I'll see about the promags I have when I get the testing done and look for the better baretta mags. They should be responsive to mechanical input to help them along.

still want higher cap for the xd. the 32 round mag seems like it'd be great if I could find a reliable one. 20s would be fine too, just right size wize.

still looking. if anyone has links to sources for the "good" baretta mags pls post 'em.

thanks for the info

Grizz
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

I found something I like. InterOrdiance Nano Ak47 Pistol.
I would have posted the picture, but the only ones available were huge. Click on the linkie :)

I just like the idea of something heavier than a 5.56
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Any Beretta-branded magazines will be PB or MDS. The markings will be on the side of the magazine typically.
Mec-Gar is it's own brand but is excellent quality, they are OEM magazine makers for several companies. I think Sig is one.
flyfisher66048
Levergunner 1.0

Post by flyfisher66048 »

The AR pistol has the advantage over the AK pistol due to the buffer tube. You can use that tube as third (face) and fourth (shoulder) points of contact. They are much easier to shoot faster and more accurately than the AK pistols.

Only use the pro-mags when you feel like practicing your malfunction drills.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Panzercat wrote:I just like the idea of something heavier than a 5.56
Well, don't forget THIS option (great Hickock45 video of 300 Blk AR-Pistol) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7WsEjkO0fk

Even without the fancy-schmancy faux-buttstock, the concept is nice. Add a Law Tactical folding stock for your pistol-buffer-tube, and it can get really compact, too...

Check out the 300 Blackout cartridge - it is pretty close to 30-30 or 7.62x39 in power, from an 'AR' platform (the ONLY thing you have to change is the barrel, everything else including bolt and carrier and gas system is typically just fine with 300 Blk).

This is Rock River's equivalent, though it is not a normal gas/buffer system.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm? ... ory_id=562
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

flyfisher66048 wrote:Only use the pro-mags when you feel like practicing your malfunction drills.
Actually the last promag I had for the old 1911 performed quite well. Never had a malfunction. Not saying that promag is a top tier brand, but I was expecting worse.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Heck guys, PTR is making a pistol version of the G3 - go big or go home
----- Doug
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

That's why I have this......my "go between". In size, it fits nicely between my AR LE Colt 6940 and a handgun.

Model "A" UZI with a factory folding stock. I have fired a little over 2k of 9mm from this gun using every conceivable type of hardball, hollow point and cast lead, from 90 gr to 147 gr. and it has yet to fail to function or fire.

I hear only the original early guns made by UZI are reliable with other manufacturers that made them are not up to par.

My son is trying to talk me into SBR and silence it but doing it proper will cost me another 15 c-notes.

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Streetstar wrote:Heck guys, PTR is making a pistol version of the G3 - go big or go home
to your point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6gIwjo9xL8

that would take up half the cockpit, a little too teutonic for me

mp5 is more in line with the job, but the uzi knocks it in panache
mp5k.jpeg
I mean, what says "hasta la vista" better than the uzi?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Enforcer in .30 Carbine.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

The UZI has panache, but the MP5 can be had in 10mm...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Old Ironsights wrote:The UZI has panache, but the MP5 can be had in 10mm...
Not readilly available unless its a franken-gun conversion --- cool concept though ---- The 10mm carbine died on the vine when the .gov just shrugged their shoulders and started using the M-4 for everything

The Sig Sauer MPX is an interesting concept in that the calibers can be changes easilly -- a 9mm unit can be converted to 40 or 357 Sig
---- A 357 Sig carbine sounds very interesting -- but here in the heartland, i havent seen a copy yet --- maybe Targetmaster has a small cache of these though :lol:
----- Doug
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I'll have to ask ghilliebear2000... if anyone can/has access/might could build a non-franken MP5K-PDW he could...

(Edit: over on HKPRO there are a few reliable builders who have (are still?) making MP5K clones... Here's one that comes with HK Quality... and price... http://brethrenarms.com/product/bap-10mm/)
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

For work, I travel fair distances from home. Think around 200 mile radius. Now getting back home, if I could drive relatively unmolested is no problem. But, I could have to walk part of the way depending on road and other conditions.

In a vehicle, I'd stick with my normally carried 1911. Yea, only 7 rounds in a mag, but I have several. But what about the walking part?

Here a long gun comes into it's own. I've gone thru a succession of items looking for what is not only light enough to carry, but sufficient to the task. I'm not looking to start a fight nor am I worried about stopping zombies (they wouldn't want my brain anyway).

In my Jeep, I carry "The Perfect Jeep Gun". It a .410 Mossy that is broken down and fits into a 20" soft sided case. For my work truck, where I'd likely be dealing with the need to deal with people rather than kill something to eat, I wanted something a bit larger. To that end, I made "The Perfect Work Truck Gun".

Using the PJG as a starting point, I took an old Franchi Model 48 20ga and modified it in the same manner as the PJG. The barrel is again 18 1/4" (just enough to keep the Feds happy). With the stock removed and setup for quick mounting as with the PJG, the barrel is the longest part. And it will fit in the same size case as the PJG.

Now being a 20ga, it packs a bit more wallop, and if I do my part, I can keep slugs on a man sized target out to about 75 yds or so. The one thing I might do in the future is figure out some sort of magazine tube extension. But with one in the tube and four in the mag, it really should suffice for most things.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

For in the car defense, I went to a sig p-227R 14+1 of 45 acp. I'm still not sure about what to have out of the vehicle.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Grizz wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:That's the kind of work they always made me do between 7pm and 6am. People don't take kindly to having their D-Mark disconnected...

looks good but the copy writer described the "true left hand model" as having a port side op rod.

uh, seriously? someone should mention to them that the standard right hand model has a port side op rod, and always has. a true left hander should have a starboard side op rod and port side ejection.

other than that it's big and cute and it's 40 cal so what's not to like?

it's starting to look like I might have to make my own pistol. maybe an exotic titanium sheet metal receiver built to the published plans of a homemade blowback repeater.... nah, not enough time for that one

P.S. I wonder if a hydraulic system could be used to replace the recoil spring, reducing the profile considerably by eliminating the huge buffer group.....
He's an HK Gun Crank, not a Sailor... :wink:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I know but the copy-editor gene always perks up with gems like that . . . . LOL
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Grizz wrote: I'm waiting on the mag order until I wring out the promags I bought for my baretta mag-well sub2k. The 17 round mag that came with the carbine is reliable, so that's the on that lives in there. That's the update from here'bouts.

Grizz
I'd really like to find one Sub2K carbines to acompany my Taurus 92. I'm assuming that Beretta mags will work in the Taurus versions of the 92/96 guns?
NRA Life Member
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Ted, I don't know if they will, but someone on here familiar with them must know.

It's hard with so many different mags and manufacturers.

It seems that it's not the mags necessarily, but how they latch in, 'cause I have a different latch block that will convert from beretta to smith mags. the business end appears to be very similar to nearly identical.....
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I went with the Taurus version because I like the frame mounted safety better than Beretta's slide safety, and I found it for cheap. It's one of those guns that has it's scratches and dings, but it just shoots good, and keeps on shooting.
NRA Life Member
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

that's what makes a keeper, after a while they just get so comfortable to have around, like old friends.
carbluesnake
Levergunner 2.0

Post by carbluesnake »

I am a bit surprised no one has suggested the Steyr Aug. A while back I carried one in my little pickup truck. You can shoulder and fire even thru the windshield if need be. Very handy, reliable, and carries well.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

TedH wrote:I went with the Taurus version because I like the frame mounted safety better than Beretta's slide safety, and I found it for cheap. It's one of those guns that has it's scratches and dings, but it just shoots good, and keeps on shooting.
In my opinion the Taurus 92's are way nicer than the Beretta's due to the much nicer safety; feels almost 1911'ish.

I also never heard of the slide-cracking issues with the Taurus; I think that was limited to some poorly heat-treated ones that got out of the Beretta factory. Of course there weren't tens of millions of Taurus's in heavy military use either.

MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

The Taurus will not use Beretta mags without modification. The mag release catch is in a different place.

The Beretta slide issues came from two things. SEAL Team Six and other specops guys shooting very hot loads (Nato SMG ammo or similar), usually suppressed, and waaaaaaaay more rounds than normal (the Beretta has a 5,000 round service life before inspection/parts repair... some of these guys were shooting 1,000 a week or more). So they were shooting the gun way outside it's normal spec (suppressors can really beat up some guns, so do hot rounds). There was likely some bad metallurgy in there, but shooting a metric ton more ammo than typical, with or without suppressors and using hot ammo didn't exactly help issues.

Ironically, the slide mounted safety-decocker was a US military decision. Early 92's had a frame mounted push-button safety.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

MrMurphy wrote:The Beretta slide issues came from two things. SEAL Team Six and other specops guys shooting very hot loads (Nato SMG ammo or similar), usually suppressed, and waaaaaaaay more rounds than normal (the Beretta has a 5,000 round service life before inspection/parts repair... some of these guys were shooting 1,000 a week or more). So they were shooting the gun way outside it's normal spec (suppressors can really beat up some guns, so do hot rounds). There was likely some bad metallurgy in there, but shooting a metric ton more ammo than typical, with or without suppressors and using hot ammo didn't exactly help issues.

Ironically, the slide mounted safety-decocker was a US military decision. Early 92's had a frame mounted push-button safety.
Thanks for the info. Kinda what I suspected in terms of 'overuse'. Didn't know about the suppressors being used though. They even bump up the back-pressure noticeably in my AR's, but I haven't used suppressors on handguns other than my 22 LR Ruger MkIII/45.

I didn't know that Beretta mags wouldn't work in my Taurus. Got lots of Taurus ones though... 8)

7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

MrMurphy wrote:The Taurus will not use Beretta mags without modification. The mag release catch is in a different place.

The Beretta slide issues came from two things. SEAL Team Six and other specops guys shooting very hot loads (Nato SMG ammo or similar), usually suppressed, and waaaaaaaay more rounds than normal (the Beretta has a 5,000 round service life before inspection/parts repair... some of these guys were shooting 1,000 a week or more). So they were shooting the gun way outside it's normal spec (suppressors can really beat up some guns, so do hot rounds). There was likely some bad metallurgy in there, but shooting a metric ton more ammo than typical, with or without suppressors and using hot ammo didn't exactly help issues.

It was a poor choice of steel for the design, and a design flaw as well. Some failed with very low round counts and standard-pressure ammo. When they were investigated, it was found that though Beretta likes to say how few actually injured someone, a ton were cracked.

It existed in their earlier pistols, like the M51, as well. The solution was to improve the material in the locking block and other places, and most importantly change the design so that when it failed, the slide was prevented from simply flying off the back of the frame.

They still break, just not as frequently and they don't hit you in the face when they do.

The slide safety is because the idea of a safety that is naturally activated by the act of charging a weapon is appealing to the brass that feels soldiers can't be trained and trusted. They took no thought to the dangerous consequences.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

AJMD429 wrote:

I didn't know that Beretta mags wouldn't work in my Taurus. Got lots of Taurus ones though... 8)

That kinda squashes my idea of a Sub2K to go with my Taurus..... :(
NRA Life Member
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

TedH wrote:
AJMD429 wrote:

maybe this will work:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/ ... 9?a=119849

on a ktog thread someone mentioned that there are three versions of the taurus mag. it has to do with the location of the locking notch, you can see it when you compare side by side...

hope this helps

when I find a .40 sub2k with glock magwell I'll add that, I'd like to have some way to use forty ammo.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Grizz wrote:
TedH wrote:
AJMD429 wrote:

maybe this will work:

on a ktog thread someone mentioned that there are three versions of the taurus mag. it has to do with the location of the locking notch....

It should be possible to cut the appropriate notch in the magazine body to make one function in the other....?

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Grizz wrote:
TedH wrote:
AJMD429 wrote:

maybe this will work:

on a ktog thread someone mentioned that there are three versions of the taurus mag. it has to do with the location of the locking notch....

It should be possible to cut the appropriate notch in the magazine body to make one function in the other....?

MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

From what I remember, yes.

I wouldn't count on it for serious use, but that's me.
williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

How about this nasty little thing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_P90
Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

williamranks wrote:How about this nasty little thing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_P90
I got to fire one of those at a 'suppressor shoot' a few years ago. Kinda cool, and amazing how the magazine actually works; the cartridges actually spin 90 degrees as they descend into the chamber area. Never jammed though (only fired 20 rounds or so, but the owner says it is '100% reliable').

MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

The weapon itself performs very well and is highly reliable, but the 5.7mm round has less than stellar results. Both the government AP load and later rounds.

Having spoken to several deputies on a tactical team that shot multiple bad guys with them.....they were less enthused and went back to 5.56mm rifles.

To wit, one particular bad guy was shot somewhere between 12-15 times on full auto (IIRC, 3 rounds per shooter who got an angle on him, in just a few seconds). All of them were upper center mass hits. Bad guy fell over and said to them "stop shooting me, it hurts".

He wasn't particularly disabled (arms and legs still worked), just in severe pain. He did die in the ambulance because all the little rounds did the job. Just not right away.

The HK 4.6mm load has the same effect. You end up "sprinkling" the bad guy with 10-25 rounds, i.e most of a magazine to get a solid stop, instead of 2-3 rounds of 5.56mm.

Both rounds were designed for personal defense of rear area non-combat troops, to penetrate body armor. Sort of an M1 carbine role. They might work, and they're certainly fun to shoot (i've shot the PS90 and P90, and know guys who've shot the MP7 extensively) but they wouldn't be my pick for most things.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

MrMurphy wrote:From what I remember, yes.

I wouldn't count on it for serious use, but that's me.
I'll give it a try if I get my paws on a Sub2K. Thanks for the info.
NRA Life Member
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

I'm with Murph on the 5.7. On paper, it looks great. Real-life use shows varied results.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

AJMD429 wrote:
Panzercat wrote:I just like the idea of something heavier than a 5.56
Well, don't forget THIS option (great Hickock45 video of 300 Blk AR-Pistol) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7WsEjkO0fk

Even without the fancy-schmancy faux-buttstock, the concept is nice. Add a Law Tactical folding stock for your pistol-buffer-tube, and it can get really compact, too...

Check out the 300 Blackout cartridge - it is pretty close to 30-30 or 7.62x39 in power, from an 'AR' platform (the ONLY thing you have to change is the barrel, everything else including bolt and carrier and gas system is typically just fine with 300 Blk).

This is Rock River's equivalent, though it is not a normal gas/buffer system.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm? ... ory_id=562
You're not talking to Daddy Warbucks here :p
AK pistol is half the price and so is the ammo.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Panzercat wrote: You're not talking to Daddy Warbucks here :p
Doyou have a spare Glock, XD, or Jericho laying around? I could have a solution for you. :wink:

For an AK pistol, the Krebs selector is a good investment, it makes it a little better.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Panzercat wrote:You're not talking to Daddy Warbucks here :p
In my case, I already had plenty of 'AR' stuff to cannabilize, so ALL I had to get was an 8" barrel for about a hundred bucks, and a 'pistol' buffer tube for sixty bucks. It sticks out and looks funny, but still not sure the 'Arm Brace' is for me.

If it functions well and I wind up liking it, I'll maybe add one of them fancy 'hinge' things. Anyway, for about $230 invested, I can make me a decent '300 Blk pistol' that is fully documented and legal (subtract $59 if I just did it with an ordinary 'lower' that I already had, vs. a newly-purchased lower that I had 4473'd as a 'handgun' just to be sure it was politically-correct).