pyhon and diamondback prices

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
carbluesnake
Levergunner 2.0

pyhon and diamondback prices

Post by carbluesnake »

Has anyone noticed what Colt Pythons and Diamondbacks are going for? They are great guns, but ........ I still have my Diamondback I bought for $200. Traded my Python 2 years ago for $1000, and my friend sold his 20 years ago for $500. What a difference a couple of decades make.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Re: pyhon and diamondback prices

Post by GonnePhishin »

Inquiring minds want to know. Kindly enlighten me as to why the big prices for these revolvers.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Class, Panache, and Mystique. The Colt Snakes have always been a gun to have. Their accuracy is legendary and the feel of the action ...... oh my my, that you must feel for yourself. It's totally different from any other brand of gun. Some like them, some don't but they are smooooooth.

There is only one bad thing about them. The actions are hand fitted and you can shoot them loose fairly quickly with double action shooting of full house loads. It only took 3500 rounds of normal .357 Mag loads to loosen up my Python. After that I switched to a Mdl 28.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Thanks Mr. Joe.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I have one of each, going to pay for my Alexander Arms 6.5 Grendel.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

In the collecting/investment game, every model of gun reaches it's climax to the point where that model/brand can no longer be easily purchased by the average guy. These guns go into the "rich guy" class.

When I started my game in the early seventies, it was near impossible to purchase a FINE condition 1866 Winchester, first gen SAA or any deluxe model pre-1898 Winchesters. The guys who were in the game for many years had these guns gobbled up. The average guy was buying up standard model 1886's and 1892's. Early 1894's could still be had for a song.

As the years evolved, the 1886 was the first model to "get out of reach", soon followed by the various 1892's and 1894's, always with the guns that had "condition" or rarity going first to the "untouchable status".

The Colt handguns made from the beginning, like the Patersons, fine condition c&b's, early Calvary SAA's, early civilian SAA's, and early 1878 double actions were the guns to be had. As these were gobbled up, people started with the later SAA's, New Services, Shooting Masters, and other assorted mass produced guns that usually still had "condition".

What's left in the Colt and Winchester line that people want to invest in? Pythons and their little brother, the Diamondback and post war-pre 64 94's.

ANY gun made in large numbers, no matter who makes them will never be worth the big bucks like the early Winchesters, Henry's, and Colts. As soon as the prices start to climb, the investment guys start advertising what they have. Just look at the WW2 guns, like the Garand, where several million were made.......they climbed high and stood there, unable to get in that "high investment class". Of course, the exceptions are the gas trap Garands and other high condition unaltered guns.-----6

I paid around 3 and a half for this back around 1976. It has logged 4500 rounds and is almost as tight as the day it was made.-------6

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Sixgun,
Further thanks for the enhanced information. Very, very pretty lookin' weapon. Like Joe said, it has class.

Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

A Friend of mine just bought a Python in 98% condition, made in 1967. He paid $1350.00 for the piece, and was proud to get his dream piece.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

WOW!
Still have mine I bought in 1967. Was 17, gave my dad the $175 and he bought it with 50 rounds each of 38's and 357's.
Action so soft and smooth. Accurate as hell.
Did learn that a steady diet of mags. will demand a trip to Colt for retuning :(. Shoot mostly 38 in it now.

John
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Yes, I've watched. I've always wanted a Python. I did buy a 22 cal. Diamondback in 1976 for $175. It actually was quite high priced then, but it sure was nice. I still have it, the box and all the papers. I can't part with it. I will leave it to my son as he was born that year.

Owen
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Here you go. Jack the Dog moves more consigned Colts than anyone I know. The market determines their value and quite frankly it seems anything, with a "pony" on it or a "snake" name is closing at irrational prices.

They all start at .01, with no reserve, run 2 weeks, and you can't snipe with a "10 minute" rule. These all close this Sunday.

http://gunauction.com/buy/13017563/revo ... no-reserve

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/13017851/ ... 980-no-res

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/13011777/ ... 69.no-resv

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/13015400/ ... e.mfd-1978
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I'm glad i picked up my 2 snakes when i did --- when i bought them, they were costly, but not so much that you were afraid to shoot them -- the 8" blued one was unfired until i got ahold of it --- i likely wouldnt do that today ---- They are great pistols, -- but i am slowly supplementing my revolver collection with an odd S&W here and there so i can have something to shoot with absolutely no mis-givings

To me, owning these is akin to owning a Corvette and trying to use it as a daily driver ---- sure it can be done , -- but i'd always be worried about rock chips and scratches, sits too low and i cant throw my toolbox in the back

That nickel gun looks sooo much better with wood on it instead of those Hogues --- but the price i paid for it reflected that the factory grips were gone :)

----- Doug
1894c

Post by 1894c »

OUCH...Colts DA's are great pistols...wish I kept my old Trooper MK III...oh well... :)
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

jdad,
I think it was you who suggested that when I want to part with mine to send them to Jack, he seems to do well by them.
How much does he charge?
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

When my blue 8" python was new, I put pachmyers on it and shot some turkeys etc with it. I recently put the original grips back on it, and they are brand new and the old gun is looking much too spiffy to ever sell, even though it seems like the time to do just that.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Shooting contest.
You and your 8" Python
Me and my 586 8 3/8"
Long range rocks.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Mescalero wrote:Shooting contest.
You and your 8" Python
Me and my 586 8 3/8"
Long range rocks.

OK, you guys slug it out and I'll sit 100 meters behind you with the 10' Ruger Maximum with 180 gr. Sierra silhouette bullets to take on the winner. (dang, not sure if I can still see those open sights....Can I hire someone to do the shootin'?)---------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I bought a new Python in Germany in `68` for $115.00 at the post rod and gun club. (6" blue)
Wish I still had it. :(
Also bought a new Colt SAA .45 for the same price. Hand carried them home on the plane and through customs. Those were the days. :wink:
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Never tried the python at long range, but sounds fun. I have shot the Ruger hunter 44 mag at paper plates at 100yds from a bench and sandbags. Hit the plate every time, but no group, looked more like a shotgun blast. Gonna need some new glasses, starting to get pretty fuzzy out there.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Mescalero wrote:jdad,
I think it was you who suggested that when I want to part with mine to send them to Jack, he seems to do well by them.
How much does he charge?
I am not 100% positive what he charges now, but I kinda sorta remember one of his new customers saying it was 18% of the first $1000, then 15% over that. I would just email him and ask what his fee structure is because I could be/probably am wrong. :wink:
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
mark08
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark08 »

Hey ya'll got me thinking. I have a diamondback, 4in, blue, 38spl. A friend's dad was a deputy sheriff and had ordered it but got sick before it came in. He had paid in full when ordered, so the shop held it for him. He died about a year later. Then about three years later the shop called the son to picked it up. He did and never fired it. Then about 1995 I bought it for I think for $100.....I d have shot maybe 100 rounds thur it. Six at a time every 3 or 4 years to refresh the ammo..Kept the diamondback in the sock drawer in it's holster. Carry the S&W mdl 10.... Could this be a way to a few lever guns????????? What is it worth??
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Many scheckels.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Rather a Smith here. To me they look hokey.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I never shoot those Colts.................. I do shoot my S&W's
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I had a 4" blue that I bought because everyone said they were soooo great. It just didn't fit my hand. To me the grip on a Colt DA is narrow and long. An N frame Smith is a horse of another color. They fit me like a glove.
I do keep hearing rumors though that someday Colt may just bring them back. The problem is it will require all new machinery as everything they had before was sold for scrap.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Rusty wrote:I had a 4" blue that I bought because everyone said they were soooo great. It just didn't fit my hand. To me the grip on a Colt DA is narrow and long. An N frame Smith is a horse of another color. They fit me like a glove.
I do keep hearing rumors though that someday Colt may just bring them back. The problem is it will require all new machinery as everything they had before was sold for scrap.

If they bring them back -- that will make the originals worth even more -- just like the premium guys are asking now for pre-lock and pre-MIM S&W's

-- but the new Smith 66 is what -- $800 bucks or so ? -- You can still find a helluva 66 for 5 or 600 bucks --- but the days are almost gone when you can find them for 350 -- The new ones dont even look like the same gun really either
----- Doug
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

I have a friend, in his early 80's now, that back when I was a gun-show animal in the 70's, 80's and early 90's, I helped amass a collection of every configuration of every Colt snake gun and new 2nd and 3rd generation Colt single action ever made. He made a small fortune during the oil boom and thru wise investments and living modestly he always had money to "bet" on his "horses". I used to joke with him about collecting the Colt's and carrying a S&W 66 snub.

He only bought unfired guns in the factory boxes with all the paraphernalia from the factory and has more than one of several configurations. I pretty sure that even his family never knew how many he has, I didn't until about two years ago. He keeps them stored in several safe deposit boxes at a local bank and invited me along to help him digitally photograph and catalog all of them on one of the couple of trips there every year to inspect them. I was absolutely amazed, we were there most of the day. He even has some Lew Horton limited series guns that I had never even heard of.

He and his only son/child had a major falling out about 25 years ago, a very hard and sad time for my friend, his wife died about 10 years ago, and his intent for years was to have the guns auctioned upon his death and the money donated to the NRA. That's changed now as he has a grandson that's about 19, I think, that truly believes the sun rises and sets in his grandpa and that is where they'll go now unless something changes.

I have no idea how much cash value is in those boxes, but I'm pretty sure the collection could be sold for enough money that along with the house and other property he'll inherit, grandson would never have to work if he was careful with his spending and that's with him keeping the duplicates.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

You should clue in your friend to get 'em out of band safe deposit boxes, otherwise they could vanish like gone with the wind during a bank holiday.

firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

UncleBuck wrote:You should clue in your friend to get 'em out of band safe deposit boxes, otherwise they could vanish like gone with the wind during a bank holiday.
We talked about that actually. Short of building a true vault in his house, which he's unwilling to do, he thinks they're safer there and any other place he could store them. According to him he's got it set up to where no one else, short of a court order I guess, can open the boxes without me being present. That was the second part of our visit that day....to inform me of that and to provide me with a certified copy of his will.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.