Rossi 45/70 big loop levergun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
sludge
Levergunner

Rossi 45/70 big loop levergun

Post by sludge »

Hi all,
has any one got any info on the rossi in 45/70, I'd like to know what it shoots like at 100 yards and 150 yards with open sights, also if sighted for 100 yards what is the holdover for 150 yards. Any general discussion of this levergun would be appreciated especially by owners or those who have used one, regards, Sludge
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Rossi 45/70 big loop levergun

Post by AJMD429 »

Don't have one but someone who does will wander in soon.

In the meantime welcome to the forum.

Do you have one, or just thinkin' bout getting one...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

sludge wrote:Hi all,
has any one got any info on the rossi in 45/70, I'd like to know what it shoots like at 100 yards and 150 yards with open sights, also if sighted for 100 yards what is the holdover for 150 yards. Any general discussion of this levergun would be appreciated especially by owners or those who have used one, regards, Sludge
No Rossi here, but sight your rifle in for maximum point blank range with the vital zone size and load of your choice. For instance, my Marlin 1895GS is sighted in for a 4" MPBR using Hornady 325gr FTX bullets at 2050fps. That puts it 4" high at 120 yards and 4" low at 200 yards. No holdover needed for anything from coyote to deer to elk size from the muzzle to 200 yards.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I am in the same situation as VanceLW. Not a Rossi, but my .45-70 Marlin is all I need. I have a Rossi in .480 Ruger that I really like.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

vancelw wrote:
No Rossi here, but sight your rifle in for maximum point blank range with the vital zone size and load of your choice. For instance, my Marlin 1895GS is sighted in for a 4" MPBR using Hornady 325gr FTX bullets at 2050fps. That puts it 4" high at 120 yards and 4" low at 200 yards. No holdover needed for anything from coyote to deer to elk size from the muzzle to 200 yards.
Yep - that's the way to make ANY firearm your 'go-to' gun. Maybe one for daytime vs nighttime, and maybe one for 2-leg vs. 4-leg predators.

It doesn't take 'new' technology to do all this... a rifle patented in the 1895-1894 vintage is PLENTY of tool for the job most times... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
1894c

Post by 1894c »

AJMD429 wrote:
vancelw wrote:
Yep - that's the way to make ANY firearm your 'go-to' gun. Maybe one for daytime vs nighttime, and maybe one for 2-leg vs. 4-leg predators.

It doesn't take 'NEW' technology to do all this... a rifle patented in the 1895-1894 vintage is PLENTY of tool for the job most times... 8)
I totally agree with you...in the end nothing beats a levergun...owned a AR-15 once, sold it to a new Deputy, my leverguns meet my needs, especially my new one in .357mag... :)