Can you drive a stickshift, & photograph an owl while...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Can you drive a stickshift, & photograph an owl while...

Post by AJMD429 »

...being repeatedly SNAKEBIT...??? :o

Just before I pulled into the driveway the other day I spot this little Eastern Milksnake crossing the road and likely to get squished, so I stop, hop out of the car, and picked her up. Then grab the mail with the other hand, toss it on the passenger seat, and head up the driveway. Naturally, not speaking English, she wasn't reassured that I was just going to toss her in a big brushpile where there would be plenty of grubs and some baby mice and so on, so she started chomping on my forearm (the Lampropeltis family is like their cousins the 'Rat Snake' and 'King Snake' and have teeth that are more 'rasp-like' than 'tooth-like').

Then I get halfway to the house on an incline, and a Great Horned Owl is sitting in the driveway, so of course I want to take a picture. Of course the owl majestically faces me every few seconds, then turns away just as I take each picture... :?

When I get to the house, I realize I've been "wounded" by the dangerous serpent... :lol:

Later on, when I was checking to see the gender, I actually didn't get bitten, but I guess that's because I had both hands free.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Can you drive a stickshift, & photograph an owl while...

Post by Blaine »

You, Sir, are a kind and generous person. I've been chomped by a black snake, and a large garter....very annoying. Contrary to popular belief, even non-poisonous snakes have an extremely mild toxin in their mouths that can cause irritation. I think it to help the snake digest its food before swallowing....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

That owl standing there ahead of you is not good, its bad luck, it means someone just died at that moment, Indian superstition, suppose to be someone you knew, happend to my wife and myself few years back.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

BlaineG wrote:You, Sir, are a kind and generous person. I've been chomped by a black snake, and a large garter....very annoying. Contrary to popular belief, even non-poisonous snakes have an extremely mild toxin in their mouths that can cause irritation. I think it to help the snake digest its food before swallowing....
Yep - a bite by any snake is potentially problematic, considering the general state of their mouths. I'm sure you flushed the wound well and treated it like... a doctor! :lol:
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

That Owl was waiting fer' you to toss 'em that thar snake for supper :lol:
If it didn't bite you then what made you draw blood?
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Neil Casper
Levergunner

Post by Neil Casper »

It was very nice of you that you saved the snake, but once they taste human blood....and you could change into a zombie now! :shock:

About ten years ago my wife, Ayesha, backed into our garage with her window open and a Red Tailed Hawk flew into her Ford van. Between her swatting and the hawk clawing and defecating they almost demolished that van!
neil
If it doesn't fit in my sea bag, I'm not going!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Tune in next week for more exciting footage on.....Mutual of Omaha's Wild Driveway. :D

Sorry you got snake bit Doc.
No good deed.......
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Hey Doc, you did use an antibiotic on that bite, didn't you?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Doc,
You got BIG ones!

But on the other hand, I guess it was better being bitten by that snake than a one eyed trouser snake, especially if it was not yours. :D ---------6
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

OldWin wrote:Tune in next week for more exciting footage on.....Mutual of Omaha's Wild Driveway. :D

Sorry you got snake bit Doc.
No good deed.......
Good one :D
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Griff wrote:Hey Doc, you did use an antibiotic on that bite, didn't you?
and a tetanus shot...
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I grew up on the reservation, and while it is true many natives believe that about owls; I have encountered many owls with no bad effect.
Blaine has an owl fetish.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I would rather have an owl around than a hawk. I have never seen, nor heard of an owl killing a pet cat, dog, or barnyard fowl. Hawks seem to take particular delight in eating fresh chicken. Owls do a great job in keeping the mice population down. As far as the snake, well, it was just doing what was in its nature to do when it felt threatened.

One morning about a week ago, I was walking out the door to go to work and there was a 2 foot long grass snake on the walkway. It was trying to get away so hard that I started laughing. I just waited until it got into the grass and went on to my car.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

piller wrote:I would rather have an owl around than a hawk. I have never seen, nor heard of an owl killing a pet cat, dog, or barnyard fowl. Hawks seem to take particular delight in eating fresh chicken. Owls do a great job in keeping the mice population down. As far as the snake, well, it was just doing what was in its nature to do when it felt threatened.
Rethink the diet of your owls. If you have great horned owls (or eagle owls for you northern Europeans), they love cats. And Barnyard fowl. Not too many feathered anythings will kill dogs on a regular basis and even puppies just aren't that easy for them.

I like all of them and have all of them, plus more, living on my stretch of the river. We get along well enough.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Owls are meat eaters, but I have witnessed several hawks taking chickens and ducks, but I have never seen an owl do it. If they do, it is probably on a less frequent basis than the hawks. Hawks are rally bold about taking chickens, cats, and small dogs. At least, the ones I have witnessed are.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Mescalero wrote:I grew up on the reservation, and while it is true many natives believe that about owls; I have encountered many owls with no bad effect.
Blaine has an owl fetish.
Trust me, it's hard to tie up the little buggers :shock: :o :twisted:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

VA got you off your meds?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

piller wrote:I would rather have an owl around than a hawk. I have never seen, nor heard of an owl killing a pet cat, dog, or barnyard fowl. Hawks seem to take particular delight in eating fresh chicken. Owls do a great job in keeping the mice population down. As far as the snake, well, it was just doing what was in its nature to do when it felt threatened.
Yep. No hard feelings towards the snake; in fact I felt sorry for it being so scared, but wanted to get it away from the road.

We've seen both owls and hawks (and dogs and weasels and raccoons and possums) take our chickens, but we just try to keep enough of them around that a percentage loss won't be a big deal.

Amazing how a slow-moving possum can snarf a chicken when it is asleep, but chickens lose what little sense they have once it is dark.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Sure is a purty little thang. Contrary to myths, I view any owl sighting as a blessing and my day is going good. Saw a mink in droad daylight the other day in Coon Rapids. Shocked me but sure was a gorgeous dark brown and very curious as I whistled going by him.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!