Another 444 question, FTX or FN?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Another 444 question, FTX or FN?

Post by TedH »

Found out that my Lee 310 gr. bullets aren't going to work in my Marlin 444. I would have to trim the brass 0.60" below minimum just to be able to seat to the crimp groove and have them chamber. I don't really want to do that, so until I get a different mold, I'll be shooting a few jacketed bullets. A local shop has the 265 gr. gummy tips, but no 265 gr. flat nose bullets. Midway has the flat nose bullet, but no FTX bullets.
What are your experiences with the Flex tip bullets, and would they be worth the extra cost? Just going to be for deer hunting.
NRA Life Member
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Another 444 question, FTX or FN?

Post by piller »

I have not used the gummy tips on anything other than paper. 86er has mentioned a couple of times that he found them to not penetrate well on most game. I will have to look up that thread and link to it.

edit: http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... on#p348260

You may have to look through the thread, but it seems that the leverevolution bullets are just not as effective. That is what I understand of 86er's writing.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41 Redhawk »

Gummy tips will require you to shorten your brass as well. This is unless your brass is recently manufactured Hornaday brass. They shortened all of theirs to accommodate the longer bullet. From a special notes section on loaddata.com
When handloading the Hornady 265-grain FTX, cases should be trimmed to 2.065 inches and the bullet seated to the upper edge of the cannelure for an overall length of 2.580 inches, then a heavy crimp applied. If cartridge length exceeds this figure, feeding problems may occur.
Mine actually likes the FP really well. If you can find them you best buy some. They have not been regularly available recently.
Last edited by 41 Redhawk on Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Lord Bless You

Terry
North Country Gal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by North Country Gal »

You have to use shortened brass with the FTX bullets is right, something I hate to do for the sake of using the brass with other bullets. Also be aware that in some Marlins, the FTX bullets will not feed, properly, though the action, due to the cartridges getting off centered a bit in the mag tube when the gummy tips are crushed. First time I used the Hornady FTX factory loads in my Marlin, the gun jammed so bad I had to pull the lever. May or may not be the same in your gun and there are remedies for it, but still enough of a hassle in my 444 to stay with conventional bullets like the FP.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Sounds like I'll stay away from the FTX. My brass is Remington, and I'll eventually just be shooting cast in this rifle as well, so I don't want to be hacking up my cases. I can't see justifying the extra cost of the bullets because of the slight ballistic advantage where range isn't going to be an issue anyway.
NRA Life Member
bluesman423
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bluesman423 »

I would stay away form the flex tips Ted as the penetration is unreliable, at least in Oklahoma Whitetails and hogs. The 265 grain FP is a fantastic bullet and will perform way above it's weight range.

These days all I use is a 300gr flat nose with a gas check from a Ranch Dog mold ............ I use them sized at .432 and they are the best bullet I have found in several years of 444 shooting.

I will be casting up a new batch in a couple of weeks ............... drop me a line if you want me to send you few to try. I think you will like them.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I have several other Ranch Dog molds of various calibers, and they are all winners. I'm on the prowel for one of his 265 gr. 44 molds. I see that NOE is cutting some of the RD designs, so I will probably go that route when funds are available.
NRA Life Member
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

You can use that Lee 310 mold , there's nothing that says you have to crimp it in the groove .

Personally I wouldn't bother with the rubber tipped stuff as far as reloadings concerned .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !