WOW!! And We Thought 6 Had All The Ammo.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

WOW!! And We Thought 6 Had All The Ammo.

Post by cshold »

Griff
Posting leader...

Re: WOW!! And We Thought 6 Had All The Ammo.

Post by Griff »

Better let Six know someone has photos of his ammo collection! Six, how good is your alarm situation?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

That fellow is just down the road a few miles from me.
Be prepared to pay a stiff price. A buck a round or more, probably.

Jack
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

He can keep it.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Mescalero wrote:He can keep it.
+1
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

ROUNDS ROUGH COUNT!! 23,000 RIFLE & PISTOL,4000 SHOT GUN ,8500 .22 CALIBER.
Not bad...!

When all four kids were at home that much would probably last us at least a month... :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Ha! That cat don't know what ammo is. It's all common garden variety ammo with no organization which can readily found at any of the better gunshops.

THIS is ammo. :D ------6. (And just what I felt like showing the public). The only difference is that about 95% of everything I have don't break the 1,800 fps mark.

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Six,
A little left of that tall press far left.
Is that an extremely long drop tub?
If so how long is that thing? Do you have to use a stepladder to get to the top?

6 you seriously have got to have the coolest toy room I've ever seen :mrgreen:
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Wouldn't you know, all that ammo is in Massachusetts! You have to be licensed to buy ammo in Massachusets. Six ain't licensed. He couldn't buy that ammo even if he wanted to, unless "certifiable" is the same as licensed! :lol: :lol: :lol: (Might be in Massachusetts!)
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I thought in some of those psycho-coastal-liberal states, it was against the law to have over 10,000 rounds or some nonsense like that...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

When someone asks me how much ammo I have my usual reply is "a little". If they press the issue it changes to "not enough". Continued pressure usually results in "none of your business".

About a week after the Sandy Hook incident a long time acquaintance, who up until then I would have called a friend, (we have known each other and shot together more than occasionally for over 30 years) called me up to tell me about the new "old" model 29 S&W .44 mag he had glombed onto at a gun show a couple of days earlier. I congratulated him on his find and the conversation was going well until the subject of ammo came up, he couldn't find any to buy. He informed me that he knew that I had quite a bit of ammo and he needed me to sell him some.

Now I actually don't shoot .44 mags much anymore, my '92 Browning is the only one I own, and I have less than 300rds of ammo and brass to my name. I told him so to which he became quite agitated and all but called me a liar. Then the topic changed to .22 LR....he wanted me to sell him several bricks of he "huge stockpile" that he knew I had. Although I was becoming irritated I told him that I didn't have a "huge stockpile" of .22 ammo and that what I did have wasn't enough (if I had a warehouse full of .22 ammo, which I don't, it wouldn't be enough) for my shooting needs and the teaching my two grandchildren, with more on the way, to shoot. This stirred him up even more and he again insinuated that I was lying to him.

Now fellas, calling me a liar is almost as bad to me as saying something foul about my Mother. It guarantees the speaker my undivided and direct attention, most of the time in a not so pleasing manner....and he knew that quite well. I not so politely informed him of the above and told him I had no ammo to sell, trade, or give to him at any price and hung up.

You'd think that would have been the end of the story, but it's not.....and it gets worse.

The next day, about mid-morning, he shows up at my house unannounced (another things that peeves me). He apologized for his statements from the day before, which I accepted, and showed me his new gun....and then started all over again about the ammo up to demanding to see my ammo supply for himself.

As you can imagine this did not set well with me. As I backed him toward the front door I not so politely told him he could leave one of two ways....right now or in an ambulance. After we got to his truck I informed him that it would be in his best interest to forget my phone number and where I live....he's called several times since then, I just don't answer, but he's never came back. Probably best for the both of us.

I guess the moral of this, for me at least, is that we need to be cautious about letting anyone know how much/what we have. I normally don't wear a tinfoil hat....but who knows who's watching and reading about what we say we have. Only my wife and oldest son know how much and where everything I have is, and it's a pitifully small amount, and I plan to keep it that way.

How much ammo do I have....a little, not enough.

Rob
Last edited by firefuzz on Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

casastahle wrote:Six,
A little left of that tall press far left.
Is that an extremely long drop tub?
If so how long is that thing? Do you have to use a stepladder to get to the top?

6 you seriously have got to have the coolest toy room I've ever seen :mrgreen:

Nope. Thats an air compressor line that comes out of the garage. I do have one of those drop tubes though. Its brass and about 30" long. Can be bought at any hardware store. ------------6

Big day tomorrow---the Sunnybrook Ballroom show...all high dollar pre-1898----dealers all wear coats and ties........let the c-notes change hands.......

stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Yes, firefuzz, letting folks know what ya have can be a problem.

People who know me know that I shoot and reload, but they have
no idea how many guns or how much ammunition I have. It's none
of anybody's business, really, and can only lead to an unfortunate
situation such as you've experienced. When people ask me, I say,
"Some."

A few years ago the State of Maine got a law passed restricting private
citizens to the possession of no more than 10,000 primers each. (How
are they going to enforce THAT, do you suppose?) Anyway, it's just
one more reason to keep one's mouth shut. The standard of proof for
getting a warrant may or may not be that high these days. Better to just
stay off the radar entirely, methinks.

Right now, I've got some ammo and a few guns. Both are accurate statements! :lol:

-Stretch
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Thats strange thinking...at least in these parts. Everyone I know in the gun game (and thats well in the double digits) has multiple calibers in multiple guns and lots of ammo for each gun. We dont concern ourselves with who knows what....its all within the law......and those who decide to steal our sweat know well what is coming their way.

Look at the gun writers who tell the world what they have........they are just regular guys like us and don't seem to be concerned.-----------6

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Thanks for sharing that story, firefuzz.

I'm no "hoarder" as in, camping out at WM and buying everything that comes off the truck each day.
But, I very seldom let go of ammo any way other than down the barrel. If I sell a gun, I keep the ammo even if I no longer have one in that caliber. I never know when I may own one again. Or, if the the bad times I can trade it for something.

I have "plenty" of .22 LR, but am aggravated that I don't want to shoot any because I don't know when I can replace it, or at what cost. The local pawn shops buy up everything that hits the shelves.
I'd hate to get crosswise with a "friend" because he thought I had too much. Better to know ahead of time I guess.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Vance,
The .22 ammo thing is going to ease real soon. I told you guys earlier in the year that there are warehouses full of ammo but it was not being released because of some tax thing that's over my head. My bud got in a big load yesterday and he is selling it in bulk and that means there is more coming.

It may be a month or two before it hits you guys in the Midwest.----6

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Sixgun wrote:Vance,
The .22 ammo thing is going to ease real soon. I told you guys earlier in the year that there are warehouses full of ammo but it was not being released because of some tax thing that's over my head. My bud got in a big load yesterday and he is selling it in bulk and that means there is more coming.

It may be a month or two before it hits you guys in the Midwest.----6
I just like to gripe :lol: I've never paid more than $14.95 for a box of 550 and that almost killed me.... It will sit on the shelf waiting for me to give the "new" retail price of $24.95. Gougers around here scarf it up and get $40 or more from those who didn't have an adequate supply, or those who waited until the panic hit to decide they needed a .22.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

stretch wrote:Yes, firefuzz, letting folks know what ya have can be a problem.

People who know me know that I shoot and reload, but they have
no idea how many guns or how much ammunition I have. It's none
of anybody's business, really, and can only lead to an unfortunate
situation such as you've experienced. When people ask me, I say,
"Some."

A few years ago the State of Maine got a law passed restricting private
citizens to the possession of no more than 10,000 primers each. (How
are they going to enforce THAT, do you suppose?) Anyway, it's just
one more reason to keep one's mouth shut. The standard of proof for
getting a warrant may or may not be that high these days. Better to just
stay off the radar entirely, methinks.

Right now, I've got some ammo and a few guns. Both are accurate statements! :lol:

-Stretch

firefuzz & Stretch,

"Better to just stay off the radar entirely"

Guys that pretty much went out the window the moment ya'll hit that submit button. :P
Not to hard to read between the lines. :wink:
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Sixgun wrote:Thats strange thinking...at least in these parts. Everyone I know in the gun game (and thats well in the double digits) has multiple calibers in multiple guns and lots of ammo for each gun. We dont concern ourselves with who knows what....its all within the law......and those who decide to steal our sweat know well what is coming their way.

Look at the gun writers who tell the world what they have........they are just regular guys like us and don't seem to be concerned.-----------6
6 is smack on.
Like an unspoken brotherhood. 8)
If I found myself short on ammo. for some crazy reason the day before the opener,
6 no doubt would hook me up as well as vise versa, I would do the same for him.
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

casastahle wrote:
Sixgun wrote:Thats strange thinking...at least in these parts. Everyone I know in the gun game (and thats well in the double digits) has multiple calibers in multiple guns and lots of ammo for each gun. We dont concern ourselves with who knows what....its all within the law......and those who decide to steal our sweat know well what is coming their way.

6 is smack on.
Like an unspoken brotherhood. 8)
If I found myself short on ammo. for some crazy reason the day before the opener,
6 no doubt would hook me up as well as vise versa, I would do the same for him.
My thoughts exactly!,,,DT
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

firefuzz wrote:When someone asks me how much ammo I have my usual reply is "a little". If they press the issue it changes to "not enough". Continued pressure usually results in "none of your business"...
Rob
Yes.

And a friend will tell a friend who tells a group of friends and maybe not-friends, one of whom decides that you are a terrorist if you have more than fifty rounds of ammo. Who knows how ridiculous and unfounded the government will become in issuing search warrants? I remember some recent search warrants in Southern California to confiscate .50 caliber rifles, that reportedly got out of hand, as an example.

My current weapon and ammo situation as proclaimed to others:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

JohndeFresno wrote:
firefuzz wrote:When someone asks me how much ammo I have my usual reply is "a little". If they press the issue it changes to "not enough". Continued pressure usually results in "none of your business"...
Rob
Yes.
And a friend will tell a friend who tells a group of friends and maybe not-friends, one of whom decides that you are a terrorist if you have more than fifty rounds of ammo. Who knows how ridiculous and unfounded the government will become in issuing search warrants? I remember some recent search warrants in Southern California to confiscate .50 caliber rifles, that reportedly got out of hand, as an example.
My current weapon and ammo situation as proclaimed to others:
That's more ammo than I have... I'm a single-shot kinda guy:Image
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Not trying to change the subject and certainly not to a religious discussion, but the Mormon church has advocated and taught the practice of procuring and storing of a years worth of all of life's necessities to it's members for almost a century. Ladies have classes on how to can and other methods of storing foods, inventory and rotation of such and so on. They also offer information to the general public on these topics, both thru the local churches and now the internet, so it's fairly public knowledge that Mormon's are probably the original hoarders.

I once asked, when I was attending that church about 25 years ago, why the men's group never taught the same type of classes on the storage of fuel, reloading ammo and more of the "male" oriented survival skills, including defending one's castle, family, and stores. I was quietly told that the church never again wanted people to believe they were any kind of militant group, that those skills could certainly be passed from member to member, but not as an organized church function. I, myself, thought this line of thinking was ludicrous, still do, but you wouldn't believe the number of church members that contacted me for information and instruction.

Hurricane Katrina was a real wake up call for these people. They had always taught and assumed that during an emergency that they would be "holding in place" until it was over. The thought of having to "bug out" during a national or local disaster had never occurred to them. I was asked to teach a class to the women's group on this type of situation so the first thing I did was to invite the local emergency manager in to explain just exactly how limited the local governments response was going to be for at least the first 72 hours. Eye opener for sure.

While I was preparing for this class, paragraph 2 kept coming back to mind, so I asked about just how far I could go in discussing the procurement and training with a firearm to protect one's family. I was pretty much told that I could mention it as another consideration, but not to dwell on the subject or get very in depth. So I did that, offering to help anyone privately with more info. My phone rang off the wall for the next two weeks and I spent a lot of time in the local gun and pawn shops helping members pick out guns, a LOT of moms and grandmas. Even taught several pro-bono classes to the same people.

About 10 years ago I was eating lunch in a local restaurant, sitting next to a group of people who were discussing how to procure food and other items in the case of a disaster, the Oklahoma landscape been being rearranged by tornadoes for awhile now, and the fact that people who belonged to the Mormon church ALWAYS had stores of food and water and could easily be persuaded to "share" their stores, Mormon's are pacifist don't ya know. I quietly passed this info on to the local church leadership, and to my surprise I was not the first to bring this thought pattern forward to them.

I don't really know what the Church's current teaching are as I haven't attended any meetings in over 5 years. But what I did learn from all that was that: 1. don't run your mouth about what you have stored, 2. people that are perceived as easy marks are targets, 3. in the event of a catastrophe be prepared to either defend or "share" what you have.

I'm not real big on sharing with demanding people.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Firefuzz,
I hear ya. At the end of your post I like #2 where if you are perceived as an easy target, you will be. (Or words to that effect)

That's pretty much sums up my life and the persona I give to people. I'm a nice guy and always willing to help, but if I don't know you, hit the road. Here in the East, people will use you like a wet rag if they can get away with it....for that matter, so will family members, so the very few people I deal with on a close basis "know the drill".......everyone else (including lazy family members) is warned well in advance that if the turd hits the fan, don't come knocking on my door or risk eating a fast moving hot piece of lead.

The last time I checked, our Constitution says we are a free people and until I hear different, I will keep thousands of rounds of ammo with little to no concern who knows about it.

99.9% of the time people who get ripped off somehow know the people who did the ripping off so anyone in my area knows to leave my house, my in-laws (6 houses and we are all related) and a few others alone. We are locally known as "the community militia" :D----6