What do I have?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
264 Win Mag
Levergunner 1.0

What do I have?

Post by 264 Win Mag »

Another post have me dragging my 1938 Winchester out of the safe to ask the experts what type of tang sight is mounted on this rifle and is it likely original? Rifle shoots extremely well and I do like the sight. It looks like it needs a good cleaning and might be missing the disc.

Thomas
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Re: What do I have?

Post by Shasta »

According to my copy of the book "Old Gunsights" by Nick Stroebel, your sight appears to be a Lyman No. 1 Combination Tang Sight. These were patented in 1879 and featured a small, hinged inner flip-down peep aperture used for fine target work, and by flipping it down you had a larger aperture suitable for hunting. It is very common to find these sights missing the smaller aperture.
There usually but not always is a Jan. 28, 1879 patent date stamped on the base, and the underside of the base will have an application code stamp. You didn't say what model your Winchester is, but for a Winchester 1894 caliber .25-35, .30-30, or .32 Special, the code is "DA". For calibers .32-40 and .38-55, and all Model 1892 Winchesters, the code is "D". There were several variations of this sight, and they were indeed listed as an optional sight available from Winchester.

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

What you have is an original Lyman tang sight.------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

264 Win Mag
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 264 Win Mag »

Excellent. I will have to disassemble it and see if it has the code. The rifle is a Winchester Model 1894 chambered in 32 Winchester Special. Can you get replacement apertures?

Thomas
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

264 Win Mag wrote:Excellent. I will have to disassemble it and see if it has the code. The rifle is a Winchester Model 1894 chambered in 32 Winchester Special. Can you get replacement apertures?

Thomas
Don't know if the modern ones have the same threads. A quick call to Lyman should resolve the issue.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I started my response about 5pm, and lost my train of thought... got interrupted. Still ain't thinkin' right...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Are there threads inside the peep? If so then it is a #2 Lyman.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Shasta wrote:...appears to be a Lyman No. 1 Combination Tang Sight.
That's what is on my 1902 Marlin 94 32-20... I'll have to take it off again and see what's stamped underneath.

I was amazed to find the tiny flip-down aperture when I bought the rifle. Had no idea it was there, and found it by accident. It works very well, and is rugged enough to have lasted a century.

Shot steel with it last weekend at 150 yards... no need to hold high, just center the sights on the target and ring the steel.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

264 Win Mag wrote:
Another post have me dragging my 1938 Winchester out of the safe to ask the experts what type of tang sight is mounted on this rifle and is it likely original ?

That Lyman No.1 Combination tang sight could very well have been a factory install, since it was one of many factory sight options in the 1930's.

Does the barrel also have the rear sight delete (no sight dovetail) option ?

MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Mine has two patent dates, and no other markings: "Jan 29, 79 - May 6, 84"... underneath is a tiny "E".

I also noticed that the center of the insert aperture is slightly higher than the center of the open ring, with the aperture flipped down. That may explain why I was able to hit steel at 150 yards without holding over the target. I was using the smaller aperture.
264 Win Mag
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 264 Win Mag »

Pete44ru wrote:
264 Win Mag wrote:
Another post have me dragging my 1938 Winchester out of the safe to ask the experts what type of tang sight is mounted on this rifle and is it likely original ?
That Lyman No.1 Combination tang sight could very well have been a factory install, since it was one of many factory sight options in the 1930's.

Does the barrel also have the rear sight delete (no sight dovetail) option ?

The rear sight has been replaced with what looks like a crosswise platform that fits in a dovetail in the barrel. I am not familiar with the blanks but this thing fills up more than just the dovetail in the barrel.

Thomas
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Its definitely not the type that uses threaded apertures. You can see the empty cross pin hole that holds the folding small aperture.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
264 Win Mag
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 264 Win Mag »

Ok, I took it off the gun and did some minimal cleanup. It is not threaded for an aperture as noted by Malmaute. On the bottom it has the letter "A". Cleaned and looked at it with a magnifying glass but could find no evidence of the letter "D". So should I tell Lyman it's a No. 1 Combination or is it something else?

Thomas
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Yes, tell them its a No 1 with the folding smaller aperture. I doubt they have parts, but its worth checking.
Obviously you can use it without, but it would be nice to have it all together complete.

Somebody on here may have parts, or know where to get them.

Theres a picture of the folding aperture on this page. It has a very small hole, and a tiny nub that sticks out the front to retract it back out of the way when not wanting to use it.

http://www.savage99.com/tang_sights.htm
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?