HOUSE GUN FOR MY DAUGHTER! Less then 2 hrs to figure it out.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

HOUSE GUN FOR MY DAUGHTER! Less then 2 hrs to figure it out.

Post by Lastmohecken »

Well, it not like I hadn't ever thought about it, but the final answer was maybe a little surprising, today.
She lives a couple of towns west of Little Rock, and while it's a fairly small town, her neighborhood had been experiencing a few break ins, cars mostly, but their's was one of them, so it was sorta driven home to her, that she might need a little protection, when her husband is gone on fire detail.

So, it came down to picking out a gun for a more or less petite, inexperienced woman, and giving her enough training with it, so that maybe she could defend herself in a pinch, if she got broken into in the middle of the night, or day I guess, for that matter. Only problem was she was needing to leave in a couple of hours, and she has small, weak hands, to a certain extent, but I could tell she was interested for maybe the first time, and seriously determined to not be a helpless victim.

Well, her husband is a big time hunter, but really had no guns suitable for her, in general. I at first thought about giving her a singlebarrel Trap gun (old Winchester 101) that I had cut down for my wife for a house gun, in which I had rendered the gun very simple, it opens real easy, has an ejector, and the safety has been taped in the fire position. All you do is load it and pull the trigger or don't pull trigger, there is nothing else you can do with it except unload it. And for a minute I thought about sending her back iwth a leveraction carbine of some sort, But she was having none of that, she wanted a handgun for her nightstand.

So we went to work. I let here handle and hold several guns, from a few Glocks, to single action and double action revolvers, and I had a neat little .22 semi-auto. Well, she couldn't pull the slide back on any of the autos, to speak of, and I could tell the manual of arms was beyond her, at least for now. And I was worried about the recoil of some my major caliber stuff.

I ruled out the K frame Smith and Wessons pretty quick, and all of my semi-autos. I was down to a J-frame Stainless Model 60 38 special, and a bunch of single actions.

We set up an IDPA target, and I decided to more or less train her using the methods outlined in "shooting to live" by Sykes and Fairbairn. We started close, and I explained to her that this is totally different then target shooting, and had her more or less pointing, not trying to line up the sights, although we did talk about it, and I later had her take some head shots but mostly I just wanted here to make hits on the torso and I mentioned to mostly focus on front sight, if you are going to aim at all.

Anyway, I started her with a little Ruger Bearcat .22, leting her load it and unload it, also, because it fit her hand well, I thought. Actually she shot it pretty good, then we went to a 5.5 inch Single Six which she found easier to load and unload since she didn't have to pull the hammer back to the first notch, which seemed a bit of a challenge for her, and she was struggling a little bit on cocking the guns for next shot, but she was getting better, and I though for a little while that she would end up taking the Single six home, I mean even a .22 can be deadly. But I wanted her to try some bigger guns. She tried the model 60 and didn't do that bad with it, but I still wasn't satisfied and I could tell the recoil was getting to her on it.

I then reluctantly let her try, a Ruger New Vaquero, 4.625 inch barrel, in of all calibers, 45 Colt with 200gr factory Blazer hollowpoints.
She shot that pretty good, and was pretty smooth in the cocking of hammer, etc. And she hit well with it.

To
be continued
NRA Life Member, Patron
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: HOUSE GUN FOR MY DAUGHTER! Less then 2 hrs to figure it

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

BIG DOG!!! It sounds like she would be a danger to everyone with a gun in her hand.
Sorry to say that but she will need a lot more time to train before I would arm her.
Stay safe friend.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Back again.

Anyway, she handled the 45 colt pretty well, I was surprised at how well she did. But I still felt like #1 it was more gun then she needed, and #2 it was one of my favorite 45's and while I could replace it, the particular grips on it, would have hard to duplicate because they were a little smaller then most and had good bark to them, which no doubt probably aided in her being able to shoot it as well as she did. So the wheels got to turning and I decided to let her try my Ruger 4.625 barrel length New Vaquero Flat Top, in .357 mag, but I loaded it with 38 special 125gr hollowpoints plus P.

Bingo, she could shoot that one like a house a fire. Fast and accurate, and the gun hardly moved in her hand during recoil. She's deadly with it at most inside the house ranges. We went over some reloading drills, and how you can get the gun back in action faster by ejecting only one round at a time and reloading that single round before ejecting another, etc.

I may look into something else for her later, but she went home with the Flat Top .357 for now, and I feel pretty good about it. I am sure she could have probably shot some of my Glocks OK, but she couldn't pull the slide back, and I would have liked to have gotten her into a double action revolver, but my K frames were too big and the J frame didn't work that well either for her, however some different grips might have fixed that. Maybe a Ruger SP101 would be the ticket, but I didn't have one of those.

Some people like to knock the Single action as a throw back, and not suited for social work anymore, but it's as good now as it ever was, and once in a while, it still yet might be a darned good choice. I did let her shoot a little Beretta 87 Cheetah .22 semi auto and she could shoot it pretty good, but it had a failure to eject once, which surprised me, as it had never done that on me. But since it did that even once, I was not going to send it back with her. I am not a big fan of semi autos for beginners, anyway.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Lastmohecken on Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:BIG DOG!!! It sounds like she would be a danger to everyone with a gun in her hand.
Sorry to say that but she will need a lot more time to train before I would arm her.
Stay safe friend.
No doubt more training is needed, but she left being able to handle that Ruger better then I have seen some men shoot, that thought they could.
2hrs well spent and I can tell you I would not want to break in a house if I had to face her with that Ruger Flat Top in her hand. I hope she never has to use it, but one never know's when they might become the chosen one.
NRA Life Member, Patron
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Sorry but I think I'm going to side with Chuck on this one.
I think she could be a real danger to herself, mostly.
A totally inexperienced shooter with a single action revolver is likely to not be able to use it if needed and end up with the feral scumbag taking the gun off her and killing her with it.
You have to remember that under extreme stress, tunnel vision sets in and fine motor skills don't exist, so she may well jerk the trigger several times on an empty chamber because cocking the gun would not be ingrained as an instinctive reflex action.
Personally if I was looking for a revolver for a small handed person I'd look first at something like my old Ruger Security Six with a set of Wolfe springs fitted. It's not too heavy and the standard grips on this pistol are small and easy to fit in a small hand and the spring kit makes it a lot easier to pull the trigger. Under extreme stress it's a point and shoot proposition and well suited to somebody lacking strength in the hands and wrists etc.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

gundownunder wrote:Sorry but I think I'm going to side with Chuck on this one.
I think she could be a real danger to herself, mostly.
A totally inexperienced shooter with a single action revolver is likely to not be able to use it if needed and end up with the feral scumbag taking the gun off her and killing her with it.
You have to remember that under extreme stress, tunnel vision sets in and fine motor skills don't exist, so she may well jerk the trigger several times on an empty chamber because cocking the gun would not be ingrained as an instinctive reflex action.
Personally if I was looking for a revolver for a small handed person I'd look first at something like my old Ruger Security Six with a set of Wolfe springs fitted. It's not too heavy and the standard grips on this pistol are small and easy to fit in a small hand and the spring kit makes it a lot easier to pull the trigger. Under extreme stress it's a point and shoot proposition and well suited to somebody lacking strength in the hands and wrists etc.
The Security Six is about the same size as a K Frame Smith and she did not find mine a good fit. One gun I did not get around to letting her shoot was my Colt Detective Special, and that just might have been a good choice. I may let her try it next time. But she was handling that Ruger pretty good before she left. And I have instructed her to practice dryfiring everyday, both one handed and two handed for a while, and also letting the hammer back down easy as in back down on a loaded chamber if needed, because everyone ends up sooner then later, needing to let the hammer back down on a loaded round. She's coming back in a couple of weeks and will bring the gun back for some more shooting practice and we will see how she is doing.
NRA Life Member, Patron
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

The detective spl. would be a good choice. Any chance one of the gun shops in the area would have any 148gr. target wadcutters. I don't even know if they still load these anymore, but were great for teaching new shooters.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I would be VERY wary of a single-action in the hands of an inexperienced person; she needs to practice un-cocking the thing a few thousand times so she's good and confident at that - then she'll be much safer with it.

The most frequent time I have to 'intervene' at the range is when someone cocks their single-action revolver, then for whatever reason they can't shoot due to a range hazard or whatever. I have to take the gun from their hands while pointing down-range, then de-cock it for them.

I agree with your recommending the DA revolver to her - double-action revolvers often can have much lightening of the trigger-pull done, plus the right grips can make a world of difference (the larger grips seem to help trigger pull seem easier), as well as the trigger-width. I had an old 'target' revolver years ago with an add-on piece that made the trigger wider - I took it off at first because it looked strange, but put it back on once I felt how much 'harder' the trigger pull was without it - it made a big difference in group size for me when shooting double-action, and would likely help a weak-handed person immensely.

I also agree that a semiauto at this point is NOT a good choice, either.

When we first moved out to the 'country' I got my wife a Striker shotgun... :twisted:

Heavy as a Garand, so not much recoil, and holds twelve rounds; the gaping 12-gauge hole in the muzzle would probably make most intruders slip on their own feces in their rush to leave the area... :lol:

BUT - now that she's an experienced shooter, a 357 Mag double-action snubby loaded with 38 Specials is just the ticket for her if she's out-and-about. I sold the Strikers (had two of them) through an NFA dealer since they were 're-classified' during my ownership, and used the funds to purchase my suppressors. They were neat guns, but took up way too much gun-safe space.

Regardless, whatever she takes a liking to CAN be 'perfect' for HER, so just help her have LOTS and LOTS of range-time with whatever she decides to stick with. Prayers up for her safety, and thanks that she has a gun-knowledgeable person like yourself as a resource - all too often there is nobody to help women in this situation.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Lastmohecken, I am glad your daughter ask dad for help. I still carry my old Colt SAA .45 once in a while, if you think she can handle the .357 that's good enough for me, you raised her you should know. My son and his kids live in Conway and Lassiter is close there too as a Faulkner county deputy I believe.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

Just got to think'n , I don't do that often. Maybe for someone who isn't real experienced with guns should have a can or two of bear spray around the house. Just a thought.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Not really many bears in his daughter's area of Arkansaw!!!!!!!!!
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

AJMD429 wrote:I would be VERY wary of a single-action in the hands of an inexperienced person; she needs to practice un-cocking the thing a few thousand times so she's good and confident at that - then she'll be much safer with it.

Regardless, whatever she takes a liking to CAN be 'perfect' for HER, so just help her have LOTS and LOTS of range-time with whatever she decides to stick with. Prayers up for her safety, and thanks that she has a gun-knowledgeable person like yourself as a resource - all too often there is nobody to help women in this situation.
The single-action can be very dangerous (hammer cocked and light trigger) and at the same time very safe as long as the hammer isn't cocked. She shot it well, and she chose it out of the guns I let here shoot. If I hadn't put the .357 Flat Top in her hands, she was going to take my Ruger Vaquero 45 Colt. I think you are right having a gun you like and have confidence in is very important.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Lastmohecken wrote:lt. I think you are right having a gun you like and have confidence in is very important.

Sure, until it runs dry ------ A lot of girls have a problem with semi autos because they have "dainty little girl syndrome" And have not been taught how to properly rack a semi auto---- most men don't know how either although they have enough grip strength that it doesn't matter

If the slide is grasped firmly in the opposing hand , use the grip hand to push the frame of the gun forward, it is much more effective for a weaker person than trying to pull a slide back

I know it sounds shocking but the U.S. Army and U.S. Air Force routinely enlists plenty of 5 foot tall 100 pound women. Who managed to figure it out
----- Doug
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

JerryB wrote:Lastmohecken, I am glad your daughter ask dad for help. I still carry my old Colt SAA .45 once in a while, if you think she can handle the .357 that's good enough for me, you raised her you should know. My son and his kids live in Conway and Lassiter is close there too as a Faulkner county deputy I believe.
I carry a Colt SAA sometimes too. I never felt like I was giving up anything much. She lives in the Russellville area, but did live in Conway for a while. I wouldn't give her a Colt SAA because it's a little too tricky to keep safe for an inexperienced shooter, but the Ruger solves most of the operational issues over the true Colt. The Ruger being a little easier to load and unload, and allowing for 6 with one under the hammer with the transfer bar safety mechanism.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Streetstar wrote:
Lastmohecken wrote:lt. I think you are right having a gun you like and have confidence in is very important.

Sure, until it runs dry ------ A lot of girls have a problem with semi autos because they have "dainty little girl syndrome" And have not been taught how to properly rack a semi auto---- most men don't know how either although they have enough grip strength that it doesn't matter

If the slide is grasped firmly in the opposing hand , use the grip hand to push the frame of the gun forward, it is much more effective for a weaker person than trying to pull a slide back

I know it sounds shocking but the U.S. Army and U.S. Air Force routinely enlists plenty of 5 foot tall 100 pound women. Who managed to figure it out
I didn't have an M9 or a 92 which does have an easy slide to operate. I used to have a Taurus P92 and should have kept it, it had a very easy slide. I agree on the slide, I don't pull a slide back either, always using the overhand grip instead. If she had more training I am sure she could get there, but it doesn't matter right now. She has no business with a semi-auto pistol at this time, and maybe never will. I consider myself an expert with the semi-auto, and I know the pros and cons, but running dry with a revolver is not the issue right now. If she actually runs that Ruger Single action dry, the threat will either be laying dead on the floor or gone.

If you look at the target, granted it was at pretty close range, but the small cluster of .38 holes were shot rapid fire. As were the 45 cal holes I had failed to tape up a few moments, before. I was impressed, she was shooting the Flat top, as fast I have seen most people try to shoot a double action, unless they were quite good.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Lastmohecken on Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

walks with gun wrote:Just got to think'n , I don't do that often. Maybe for someone who isn't real experienced with guns should have a can or two of bear spray around the house. Just a thought.
It might work, but a hardened criminal or street thug would probably not let a can of bear spray stop him from doing harm, like looking down the barrel of a pistol or taking a couple of rounds through the boiler room would, if it came to that.

However, I suppose having a can or two stashed in a tactical spot in the house might buy one some time to fight their way to better weapon. Not a bad idea really.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Lastmohecken wrote:
Streetstar wrote:

I didn't have an M9 or a 92 which does have an easy slide to operate. I used to have a Taurus P92 and should have kept it, it had a very easy slide. I agree on the slide, I don't pull a slide back either, always using the overhand grip instead. If she had more training I am sure she could get there, but it doesn't matter right now. She has no business with a semi-auto pistol at this time, and maybe never will. I consider myself an expert with the semi-auto, and I know the pros and cons, but running dry with a revolver is not the issue right now. If she actually runs that Ruger Single action dry, the threat will either be laying dead on the floor or gone.

If you look at the target, granted it was at pretty close range, but the small cluster of .38 holes were shot rapid fire. As were the 45 cal holes I had failed to tape up a few moments, before. I was impressed, she was shooting the Flat top, as fast I have seen most people try to shoot a double action, unless they were quite good.

sounds like i was definitely "preachin to the choir" regarding semi autos then :lol: -- I often use a Smith 66 for my "bump in the night" gun myself --- but at my place , a bump in the night is usually a raccoon dumping over a can or a coyote outside the fence bothering my dogs

Your right about the fact that 6 rounds should be more than enough to end most civilian disputes, --- i just worry a bit about multiple assailants in the event of a home invasion type event , so i still keep a long gun behind an attic door i have in my bedroom as well -- but in my case, i sincerely hope my nighttime disturbances continue to involve raccoons and coyotes only ----- as i hope your daughter continues to practice and get better with her sidearm of choice , most specifically, storage and how best to get to it if anything happens (but i hope it doesnt :) )

Funny thing is, i went for my Smith last night when my 9 pound pekingnese watch dog, who sleeps at the foot of the bed , - started barking her little head off awakening me from a deep sleep (she never does that) --- i grabbed the Smith and a surefire flash i keep next to it immediately -- i have a french door in my bedroom leading to a patio , but she wasnt barking at that --- she was at the interior bedroom door -- so i thought "Oh no - something is going on inside the house this time" --- my heart rate shot to about 150 and after i cleared the hallway, i discovered my cat munching on the little dog's food at her food bowl -- evidently she heard the rustling / munching around at her food dish and things got real serious real fast :lol: :lol: -- Things can get wild around my little farm from time to time
----- Doug
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Lastmohecken,

I got reamed on my thread about wanting a S&W Chief. OH NO!, YOU MUST HAVE AN AUTO TO PROTECT YOURSELF WITH. Bull pelosi!

Well, just getting your daughter to shoot a center fire revolver is a success unto itself. I would encourage you to help her find a double action revolver in the near future as it's easier to use when scared silly. In the mean time keep her practicing both cocking and de-cocking the single action while it's unloaded and when loaded at the range. In a stress situation that can be problematic.

As for handling autos and working the slides, it's a state of mind. My 5'7" mother, 120 pounds ±, could not ever get the hang of working an old Ruger standard .22 Auto bolt. Yet could if "encouraged" enough shoot a DA revolver. Remember the Chief picture I posted.
My 5'5" wife can handle a 1911a1 or a full sized DA revolver just fine and does pretty decent with a SA revolver. It's a mind set more than a physical thing.

Keep up the training with her, you're making good progress.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

Joe Miller.... if people with convergent opinions are all it takes to 'ream' you....you need to stay back East.

We have ladies in here all the time who 'can't' load a semi auto. Shown how....hands- over- top... they have walked out masters of every service semi auto sold the last 30 years.

My sweetie is 5-1. Went from a 'gun in the nite table (.25 ACP) to IDPA marksman in less than a year. She shoots a Glock 19 and prefers it to my revolvers ( and she does ok with those). She has limited vision also...little peripheral vision and two distinct depths/ focus in each eye.
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

I think it's great you took the time to teach her and that she is willing to learn. Personally I believe she should use whatever firearm she is comfortable with and willing to train with. Sounds like that choice is made. Once she's proficient with it she will probably looking into other guns and get the "bug". Heck, everyone here started with one gun.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

jkbrea wrote:I think it's great you took the time to teach her and that she is willing to learn. Personally I believe she should use whatever firearm she is comfortable with and willing to train with. Sounds like that choice is made. Once she's proficient with it she will probably looking into other guns and get the "bug". Heck, everyone here started with one gun.
Yep.
J Miller wrote:I got reamed on my thread about wanting a S&W Chief. OH NO!, YOU MUST HAVE AN AUTO TO PROTECT YOURSELF WITH. Bull pelosi!

Well, just getting your daughter to shoot a center fire revolver is a success unto itself. I would encourage you to help her find a double action revolver in the near future as it's easier to use when scared silly. In the mean time keep her practicing both cocking and de-cocking the single action while it's unloaded and when loaded at the range. In a stress situation that can be problematic.

As for handling autos and working the slides, it's a state of mind. My 5'7" mother, 120 pounds ±, could not ever get the hang of working an old Ruger standard .22 Auto bolt. Yet could if "encouraged" enough shoot a DA revolver. Remember the Chief picture I posted.
My 5'5" wife can handle a 1911a1 or a full sized DA revolver just fine and does pretty decent with a SA revolver. It's a mind set more than a physical thing.

Keep up the training with her, you're making good progress.

Joe
Double-Yep...
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

If I can find the right double action revolver, I will probably introduce her to it. I wouldn't mind getting the Flat Top back, anyway. We'll see how it goes. But I don't want to force something on her, that she doesn't like to shoot. If she wants to keep the Flat Top, I recon it's her's. :)
NRA Life Member, Patron
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Lastmohecken wrote:If I can find the right double action revolver, I will probably introduce her to it. I wouldn't mind getting the Flat Top back, anyway. We'll see how it goes. But I don't want to force something on her, that she doesn't like to shoot. If she wants to keep the Flat Top, I recon it's her's. :)
I see you not only understand firearms very well, but you also understand the more complex thing known as 'women'. . . :D

Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

AJMD429 wrote:
Lastmohecken wrote:If I can find the right double action revolver, I will probably introduce her to it. I wouldn't mind getting the Flat Top back, anyway. We'll see how it goes. But I don't want to force something on her, that she doesn't like to shoot. If she wants to keep the Flat Top, I recon it's her's. :)
I see you not only understand firearms very well, but you also understand the more complex thing known as 'women'. . . :D
Well, thank you for the complement, but I don't know if anyone truly understands women. :D
NRA Life Member, Patron
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Lastmohecken wrote:
AJMD429 wrote:
Well, thank you for the complement, but I don't know if anyone truly understands women. :D
Probably not... but I think you've done well. Offering multiple choices and keeping an open mind to HER needs, not your expectations is probably more important than what specific choice she makes... My wife likes her .357 Colt SAA with .38Spls far more than she like any other handgun in my safe... And feels more confident with either her 20 ga Rossi or any of my hammerless doubles than the 870 or 1897 pump guns... and her 1892 .357 Rossi lever gun than either of my ARs.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Griff wrote:
Lastmohecken wrote:
AJMD429 wrote:
Probably not... but I think you've done well. Offering multiple choices and keeping an open mind to HER needs, not your expectations is probably more important than what specific choice she makes... My wife likes her .357 Colt SAA with .38Spls far more than she like any other handgun in my safe... And feels more confident with either her 20 ga Rossi or any of my hammerless doubles than the 870 or 1897 pump guns... and her 1892 .357 Rossi lever gun than either of my ARs.
Yes, I could understand that, as I have a second generation .357 Colt, 5.5 inch barrel. It's like new, but it was tuned before I bought it, and it's simply the slickest singleaction I have ever owned or shot.

I think the main thing is for her to practice with whatever she likes, and learn it well, to where it's second nature to her to handle it, and shoot it.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Lastmohecken wrote:
walks with gun wrote:Just got to think'n , I don't do that often. Maybe for someone who isn't real experienced with guns should have a can or two of bear spray around the house. Just a thought.
It might work, but a hardened criminal or street thug would probably not let a can of bear spray stop him from doing harm, like looking down the barrel of a pistol or taking a couple of rounds through the boiler room would, if it came to that.

However, I suppose having a can or two stashed in a tactical spot in the house might buy one some time to fight their way to better weapon. Not a bad idea really.
Spraying in confined quarters might not be a good idea :)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Hmmmm.....

The situation is not, of course, ideal.

Still:

1. Having a gun is better than not having one at all.
2. If she can shoot the single action well after only a
couple ofhours and she's comfortable with it, then
I don't think it's a bad first choice.
3. Lotsa folks have defended themselves ably with
single action revolvers over the years. It ain't the
ne plus ultra of hardware, but in the hands of
someone is motivated and basically competent, it's
nothing to be sneezed at.
4. Most gun owners need more practice. If she gets a
few hours more, it should be fine for a house gun
right now. Double action is better, if only for speed
of reloading. ('Course, you can always pick up another
SA and just use a "New York reload", too!) She'll get there.

Everybody has to start somewhere. Drill the 4 rules into her,
get her mindset right, spend a few more hours and a few hundred
rounds at the range and she'll be all right.

Good Luck!

-Stretch
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

My daughter is petite also, with small hands. I let her have my S&W Model 10, and she found it to be just the right gun for herself. It works very well with small hands, and luckily it has an excellent trigger along with being able to cock easily, so she can shoot single or double action no problems.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Jazman, I almost mentioned the S&W Model 10. Mine is an
ex-Augusta, Maine reserve police officer's gun. Very nice
double action trigger, and PLENTY strong enough for +P+ loads,
if one is so inclined. Except for the fact that the cylinder is
bored to only accept 38 Special cartridges, it's the same dimensions
as the Model 60, so there's actually MORE metal in the cylinder
than with the 357. Anyway, it fits most hands, is VERY accurate,
and is as reliable as a rock. AND can still be found for a couple
or three hundred bucks used. There's a reason why S&W sold
a bazillion of 'em. It's STILL a decent choice for a house gun.
Not ideal maybe, but by no means a bad choice. If the lady can
handle a flattop, the Model 10 would also be a piece of cake.

-Stretch
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

stretch wrote:Jazman, I almost mentioned the S&W Model 10. Mine is an
ex-Augusta, Maine reserve police officer's gun. Very nice
double action trigger, and PLENTY strong enough for +P+ loads,
if one is so inclined. Except for the fact that the cylinder is
bored to only accept 38 Special cartridges, it's the same dimensions
as the Model 60, so there's actually MORE metal in the cylinder
than with the 357. Anyway, it fits most hands, is VERY accurate,
and is as reliable as a rock. AND can still be found for a couple
or three hundred bucks used. There's a reason why S&W sold
a bazillion of 'em. It's STILL a decent choice for a house gun.
Not ideal maybe, but by no means a bad choice. If the lady can
handle a flattop, the Model 10 would also be a piece of cake.

-Stretch
With the right grips on it, any K-frame might work. I had several doubleaction revolvers but none seemed right. I put a model 64 Smith in her hand, but the grips were all wrong as I had a nice set of elk horn bone handles on it, which work for me, but she needed a filler behind the trigger guard, at the very least. But even a little Model 60 that had filler in the grip didn't seem to work for her. And I couldn't seem to get here to grip the double action correctly, and even the mild recoil of the 38 special standard ammo bothered her hand when the hump of a double action recoiled, which will bother even a lot of men on that, I know it does on me, anymore with the 44 mag, so I pretty much quite shooting my N frames, preferring my single actions.

That's why I finally ended up having her shoot the centerfire single actions. And that .357 flat top, shooting plus P's 38 special, did not hurt her hand at all, and the gun doesn't even seem to jump in her hand, to speak of probably because of the weight, and really, the bore height maybe be lower in the singleaction which also helps tame recoil. So, in the end, I don't feel too bad about letting her take it home. Once her muscle memory adapts to cocking the hammer, she will be plenty well armed for situations in the home.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

jazman wrote:My daughter is petite also, with small hands. I let her have my S&W Model 10, and she found it to be just the right gun for herself. It works very well with small hands, and luckily it has an excellent trigger along with being able to cock easily, so she can shoot single or double action no problems.

It don't get any better than this. The easiest gun for an inexperienced individual to shoot well is a K frame loaded with 38 Spl's with the 4" barrel.---6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Sixgun wrote:
jazman wrote:My daughter is petite also, with small hands. I let her have my S&W Model 10, and she found it to be just the right gun for herself. It works very well with small hands, and luckily it has an excellent trigger along with being able to cock easily, so she can shoot single or double action no problems.

It don't get any better than this. The easiest gun for an inexperienced individual to shoot well is a K frame loaded with 38 Spl's with the 4" barrel.---6
I don't really agree with that, 100%. I have seen several women reject the K-frame, in the past. Actually there are a lot of semi-autos from a shear shoot-ability standpoint, that are easier to shoot then a K-frame revolver. I didn't used to believe it, until it gradually sunk in, but even the 1911 is easier to learn to shoot well by most men then a double action revolver. I learned that competing in IPSC back in the 80's. I grew up shooting the k-frame revolver and I practiced a lot, in fact I wore out a K22 shooting doubleaction at tin cans as a teenager. When I started shooting IPSC in my 20's, because I had shot the doubleaction so much, I moved up very fast in the revolver division, where at the same time I seen a lot of shooters compete and move up much faster in the 1911 division then the revolver division. I considered myself a revolver man at the time, and I could beat most of the revolver guys, right off, but that's because I had shot one so much. But a new revolver shooter seemed to progress slower with the revolver then the auto.

But the K-frame is an easy gun to load and unload, and is still one of my favorites. And it's very simple, actually I like the idea of bobbing the hammer on one, for an inexperienced shooter, so that they are not tempted to shoot it singleaction, or pull the hammer back if they get spooked, that way there is no decisions to make other then pull the trigger or don't pull the trigger in a self defense situation.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I have a mdl 65 (think stainless mdl 10 in .357)... There is a round-butt version also... for both the mdl 65 & 64 which is a mdl 10 in stainless. I've seen where folks with smallish hand handle the RB version better than the standard square butt.

And that frame filler between the trigger guard and the front of the grip pushes the hand too far down the gun... and IMO, I've never seen anyone shoot a K-frame very well with one of those. But, then again.. I've only see a few thousand cops try...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

Look for a used Ruger SP101 in 32 magnum,the gun is a little heavy,the caliber a little light, a good combo for the recoil sensitive,my daughter's wears Hogue wood grips with finger grooves and she empties the ammo can on each outing.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

She and her husband should contact the local Police Department and ask them to have a public safety officer (or liaison officer or whatever they call it) come over to the house and advise them on what they can do to make their home less appealing to undesirables.

Does she have a dog? I personally have always had big dogs who are momma's boys (or girls). A lot of deterrence & forewarning in even a 40 lbs dog. Currently I have a pair of very active 120 lbs Golden -doodles. Young, rugged, friendly to a fault and totally devoted to the wife. I don't think they would be much use stopping someone from entering the house but they would rip to shreds anyone who brought my wife to tears. Of course I also have a 20 year old and 17 year old sons who are bigger then me and not inclined to give ground to bullies. They might be helpful in a pinch
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

wm wrote:She and her husband should contact the local Police Department and ask them to have a public safety officer (or liaison officer or whatever they call it) come over to the house and advise them on what they can do to make their home less appealing to undesirables.

Does she have a dog? I personally have always had big dogs who are momma's boys (or girls). A lot of deterrence & forewarning in even a 40 lbs dog. Currently I have a pair of very active 120 lbs Golden -doodles. Young, rugged, friendly to a fault and totally devoted to the wife. I don't think they would be much use stopping someone from entering the house but they would rip to shreds anyone who brought my wife to tears. Of course I also have a 20 year old and 17 year old sons who are bigger then me and not inclined to give ground to bullies. They might be helpful in a pinch
They do have a Lab, still almost a pup, but it is a pretty good alarm system.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Griff wrote:I have a mdl 65 (think stainless mdl 10 in .357)... There is a round-butt version also... for both the mdl 65 & 64 which is a mdl 10 in stainless. I've seen where folks with smallish hand handle the RB version better than the standard square butt.

And that frame filler between the trigger guard and the front of the grip pushes the hand too far down the gun... and IMO, I've never seen anyone shoot a K-frame very well with one of those. But, then again.. I've only see a few thousand cops try...
Griff,
You must be kidding on the filler. I have competed with and seen some of the best combat shooters in the world shoot back in the 80's when I shot IPSC, and to a man, I can't remember even one that didn't use a pair of aftermarket grips on their revolvers in competition, and they all had built in filler sections in the grips. Even today, I shoot better with a revolver with a filler behind the trigger guard, although I do have one CCW gun that has a pair of sandbar stags without the filler, but they are pretty rough and I can still shoot it pretty good, in spite of the missing filler, but I have contemplated getting a Tyler T insert for it. Now on a J frame, I found that I don't like the small boot grip with the filler because it leaves less grip to get a hold of, but my favorite for the J frame is the old Smith and Wesson wood banana grip, because it has filler and a very good grip, but it does it by letting the wood run down below the frame.

When I shot competition I usually used the Hogue Mono Grip on my L and N Frames.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Well, not meaning to beat a dead horse or anything, but my daughter called today, so I asked her if she had been practicing with the singleaction on cocking the hammer and dryfiring, etc. She's coming home this Saturday and wants to do some more shooting. I told her that we might want to consider a double action, but she told me she felt more comfortable with the single action because she liked the fact that it can't be fired unless the hammer is pulled back first.

I asked her if she had been practicing and she said she had been doing like I said, and stated that now she wanted to practice lowering the hammer on a live round when came home. I also asked her if she had done any practicing cocking the gun with one hand only and she said she had no problems with one hand only, and reminded me that she chose that particular gun because she found it the easiest to cock the hammer on, and had no desire to trade for another gun.

I asked her saying "I guess you have become attached to that gun by now, haven't you?" And she said that yes she had. And she was bringing it back for more shooting this weekend. So, it's my guess I won't be getting that gun back anytime soon, if ever. :) And that's OK. If she likes it and enjoys shooting it, and it's her only handgun, (at least for now), she will get good with it. So, for now at least I am not going to fret about it anymore, I am just going to see that she becomes an expert with it. :D
NRA Life Member, Patron
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

As for de-cocking a SA revolver, I just put my other thumb in between the hammer and frame as insurance when letting the hammer down. I just loop it firmly like a hook right at the bottom of hammer, in between it and the frame. A DA revolver can be de-cocked in the same manner. It's automatic after you practice it enough. I carry a SA 44 for defense.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

C. Cash wrote:As for de-cocking a SA revolver, I just put my other thumb in between the hammer and frame as insurance when letting the hammer down. I just loop it firmly like a hook right at the bottom of hammer, in between it and the frame. A DA revolver can be de-cocked in the same manner. It's automatic after you practice it enough. I carry a SA 44 for defense.
Yep, when you absolutely can't afford to have an AD, that's the way to do it.
NRA Life Member, Patron