What gun are they talking about?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

What gun are they talking about?

Post by Bullard4075 »

"Under existing California law, semi-automatic weapons must have an indicator showing when there is a bullet in the chamber. But many manufacturers do not include the feature, leading some dealers to convert guns to single-shot weapons before selling them, though they are later reverted back, Dickinson said."

From : http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/ ... 5W20140719

"convert guns to single-shot weapons before selling them, though they are later reverted back"
Can someone give me an example (model) of what gun they are talking about?
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Re: What gun are they talking about?

Post by Merle »

Bullard4075 wrote:"Under existing California law, semi-automatic weapons must have an indicator showing when there is a bullet in the chamber. But many manufacturers do not include the feature, leading some dealers to convert guns to single-shot weapons before selling them, though they are later reverted back, Dickinson said."

From : http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/ ... 5W20140719

"convert guns to single-shot weapons before selling them, though they are later reverted back"
Can someone give me an example (model) of what gun they are talking about?

Back before brass was readily available, I made my SKS into a straight pull repeater by removing the gas piston. Removing the magazine would make it into a single shot, so..... easy enough to undo later. :mrgreen:
Merle from PA
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Good evening
Well for me I think those "bright dealers" should be heartily applauded for being industrious and helping the state to collect the much needed sales tax. Making happy customers is an excellent goal.
Mike in ILL.
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

Knowing how liberal anti gun politicians operate, I say that it is a plain old lie.

Jack
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

From what I saw they were regular semi autos, maybe with no magazine, but marked with tags saying they were single shot. Because I remember standing their puzzled looking at whatever (it might have been a Glock) , then it dawned on me that it was a way around the pointless law.
Slow is just slow.
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Gents,

Maybe this sort of gun would fit the criteria:

Pachmayr Dominator with Essex frame 308 cal.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =430139879

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

"Under existing California law,
Why does it matter?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Griff wrote:
"Under existing California law,
Why does it matter?
Curious, trying to understand.
Nothing more Griff. :D
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

I do not know which of the many models of pistol they are discussing. The basic issue here is that for any semi automatic pistol to be legally sold in California it has to pass certain outlandish specifications and be certified to do so. Almost all manufacturers have refused to submit there pistols for certification to this standard. This has lead to an approaching defacto new hand guns other than revolvers are illegal to sell in California situation. So some dealers have been innovative in that they receive and sell the pistol modified in such a way that it is restricted to single shot. The customer then repairs the damaged hand gun restoring semi automatic functionality to it.
Alan Wood
jfwlb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jfwlb »

What it all boils down to is the "safe handgun roster" in California. In order to offer for sale a semi-auto handgun in Ca. the handgun must posses certain "safety" features, it must pass an inspection by the Ca. DOJ, and the Manufacturer must pay a fee for all this to happen(Bribe).

Single shot handguns are exempt from these requirements.

Most Manufacturers don't modify their designs just to appease Ca., so some handguns cannot be sold in Ca.(except to police officers, who are exempt).

Some people in Ca. want a semi-auto that doesn't meet the "safe handgun roster" criteria. To get around this, they buy it out of state, and ship it to a dealer who then modifies it to fall under the single-shot pistol exemption. The modifications are fully reversible and nothing in the law says it can't be converted back after it is purchased.

The law you are quoting eliminates the work around to the "safe handgun roster" that people have been using to get the same handguns that are available to you living in a free state.

John
darkwater
Levergunner 1.0

Post by darkwater »

Between the single-shot exemption going away at the end of this year and the micro-stamping requirement that went into effect, semi-auto handguns are falling off the roster in droves. By the end of the year, there will be practically no new semi-auto handguns that will be available for purchase in CA to the average person. On the upside, this provides more ammunition to the lawsuit that is already in the courts that the safe-handgun roster is unconstitutional.
Chris83716
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Chris83716 »

Hagler wrote:Gents,

Shawn
That makes my hand hurt just looking at it.

Chris
Chris83716
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Chris83716 »

Hagler wrote:Gents,

Shawn
That makes my hand hurt just looking at it.

Chris